Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front end feel  (Read 7379 times)

Offline Blade.RRunner

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
Re: Front end feel
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 09:24:44 PM »
I don't know the exact answer to your questions. What I do know, however, is that it's not just the swingarm angle that's different bw the R and RR. The headstock is different too resulting in a slightly less steep rake, and maybe more trail too. While raising the rear would affect those too, it'd be marginal compared to the change in swingarm angle.
In fact, with a well set up suspension I've never felt the need for different swingarm angle. In Dynamic mode, I actually find the squat/anti-squat tendencies of this bike perfect. Never any running wild on corner exits. (again, street riding; no experience with track) If it's steering quickness you're looking for, you should be looking at the front of the bike, and that's easy, no RR parts needed, just lowering the front a tad.

Offline gluemonster

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 16 Black S1000R
  • City / Town: Boise, Idaho
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 09:59:07 PM »
Another way to ask would be what are the differences in fork, shock length and shock link that changes the geometry between the two bikes since they have the same frame and swing arm? The R geometry works OK but it isn't as quick and doesn't have the feel of the RR. I know I could drop the front to make it quicker but if it's not to difficult I want to try making it the same as the RR.

Offline Throttle Chopper

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2016 & XR400R
  • City / Town: Anaheim
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 10:28:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by gluemonster [+]
Another way to ask would be what are the differences in fork, shock length and shock link that changes the geometry between the two bikes since they have the same frame and swing arm? The R geometry works OK but it isn't as quick and doesn't have the feel of the RR. I know I could drop the front to make it quicker but if it's not to difficult I want to try making it the same as the RR.

Having owned an RR previously, the only feasible way to get more front end feel after playing with tires/pressures and raising the fork tubes, is to try a set of clip-ons.  With the R's increased rake (.8 deg) and trail (22 mm), feel and directness was sacrificed in the name of stability.  Again, clip-ons will allow more weight to be placed on the front tire and help you know what that front contact patch is doing. 

Offline Blade.RRunner

• S1000R Member
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 06:26:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Throttle Chopper [+]
clip-ons will allow more weight to be placed on the front tire and help you know what that front contact patch is doing.
So we end up with a roadster that was originally a superbike, but was made more comfortable and less radical only to be made less comfortable and more radical by spending some extra money on it. Hmmm... let me think about it... ;)
I think anyone who's not happy with what the R has to offer within its range of adjustibility should consider buying an RR in the first place. :)

Offline MarketSquareHero

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Lancashire
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 03:28:30 PM »
Couple of guys on here have gone down the clip-on route.
Well documented in a thread if you're interested.

Offline Blade.RRunner

• S1000R Member
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 04:01:28 PM »
After so many years on SSP bikes and currently having a track-only GSX-R750, I feel blissed by not having to crouch on the BMW. With sports tyres, front lowered one ring, and suspension dialed in as much as possible, I'm absolutely happy with feel. I can keep up with friends putting their knees down on sport bikes while I'm still just sitting on the seat, no moving around too much, no mock-Marquez-ing at all. It's enough for me.
Thx, though!  :016:

Offline MarketSquareHero

• S1000R Master
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 04:27:03 PM »
I know what you mean comfort wise.
I had a mad moment a few months back thinking of changing back but cost put paid to that.So glad I didn't,but saying that I'll probably change my mind again next year :187:

Offline miles

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: A red one
  • City / Town: San Diego, CA
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 04:55:48 PM »
I'll be honest- my R can't hold a candle to my old RR on the track.  My lack of confidence in the front end was a real issue for a while, but with a few geometry changes I've pretty much got that sorted out.  I'm still not as fast on the track as I was on the RR, but fast enough.

On the roads I like, though, the R is far superior.  The body position that works so poorly on the track is fantastic for the narrow, twisty back roads I enjoy because it allows me to sit up and look where I'm going much better than the racer tuck the RR's clips provided.  The wide bars allow for better leverage when things get really tight, too.

Since I ride 50 times on the road for every time on the track, I'd say the trade was worth it.
Just keep your head held high
Kiss your fist and touch the sky

Offline MarketSquareHero

• S1000R Master
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 08:06:18 PM »
I'm no track rider so the sensible thing is keep the R but sense and motorcycles just don't go hand in hand.
Done so much to the bike that it's a bit daunting to think about putting everything back to standard anyway so more than likely be keeping it.You just at times get these crazy thoughts,usually when I walk into a dealership and see all the shiny new bikes looking at me.

Offline Throttle Chopper

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2016 & XR400R
  • City / Town: Anaheim
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 05:05:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by MarketSquareHero [+]
I'm no track rider so the sensible thing is keep the R but sense and motorcycles just don't go hand in hand.
Done so much to the bike that it's a bit daunting to think about putting everything back to standard anyway so more than likely be keeping it.You just at times get these crazy thoughts,usually when I walk into a dealership and see all the shiny new bikes looking at me.

YouTube is my weakness, Motorcyclist.com just posted a vlog riding the latest S1KRR.  I miss mine every now and then, but then I watch videos of the latest KTM 1090 Adventure, and feel that may be the next bike to at least test ride, if not add to the stable.  :027:

Recent Posts/Topics