Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front end feel  (Read 6915 times)

Offline S1R

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: White 15 S1000r
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Front end feel
« on: August 28, 2017, 09:26:30 AM »
I know this can be a controversial subject but looking for opinions to improve front end feel.
From day one  I have always felt a little disconnected from the front wheel. I am now riding a little harder and pushing the bike more and am getting to the point where I do not have the confidence to lean the bike any further as I cannot feel what the front tyre is doing.
Doing a little research steering dampers, tyres, geometry and suspension settings have all been mentioned.
I would really like some advice from some people on here who may have the same issue as me and suggest some things to try
Cheers

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: Front end feel
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 10:19:23 PM »
I honestly think the initial starting point will always be with tyre choice and pressures - get those with the best 'feeling/feedback' and work from there with suspension settings (DDC and preload) ....I've moved from a bike with an Ohlins shock and stage 1 valves and springs on the forks - not even the full on kit but it handled brilliantly -  on the S1R so far I think it's as much confidence in letting the forks do their work as much as it is about feedback - with TC and ABS the bike 'feels' stable but all those little slips and skids are now pretty within that safety net - I think the S1R handles as well as my set up analogue predecessor and allows me to push a lot further .... just my thoughts - I've ridden about 4K miles on one now so that's my initial impression ....

Offline Blade.RRunner

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 02:12:28 PM »
I bet you come from a sportbike background. :)  I had the same impression when I first tried the S1000R. What helped for me is this. https://1drv.ms/i/s!Am7GpbROToHNiDuzrrPgYORMgu1x That is, lowering the front (raising the fork tubes in the triples) one ring. So now, three gold rings are visible (stock is two).
This will, of course, not save anyone from setting sag properly and running decent tyres. ;)

Offline kinada

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: '16 S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Suffolk
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 02:36:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Blade.RRunner [+]
lowering the front (raising the fork tubes in the triples) one ring. So now, three gold rings are visible (stock is two).

I've considered this. Is the improvement noticeable?

Offline Blade.RRunner

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 02:43:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by kinada [+]
I've considered this. Is the improvement noticeable?
Absolutely.
Defo worth a try especially that it doesn't cost anything (if you can do it yourself). You can give it a try, and decide.

Offline peeti

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 17 S1000R
  • City / Town: Chicagoland
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 09:31:00 PM »
Geometrically speaking, isn't that just increasing front preload slightly and decreasing rear roughly the same amount? Except for breaking when front takes a linearly bigger hit?

I don't think you can cheat physics. You're right, setting preload and getting valving right is key - since we don't valve, we ddc - got to go there. In the end, I think it's the price paid for automation. If you want a track feeling bike, get a nice track feeling bike. The R is detuned from RR for a reason right? Look at a Panagale - Ohlins with electronics. Mightly purdy stuff. Works the treat too on the Supersport S - but that engine was rumbly so I passed.

Online gluemonster

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 16 Black S1000R
  • City / Town: Boise, Idaho
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 03:45:02 AM »
Does 2 things, decreases the rake making it steer a little quicker and moves the CG forward slightly putting more load on the front end.
I use a 200/55 rear tire for the track which raises the rear end which basically does the same thing and I think it helps (still not as good as my old track GSXR 750 though).

Offline kinada

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: '16 S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Suffolk
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 07:59:15 AM »
 Also shortens the wheelbase slightly

Offline Matt972

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: BMW s1000r
  • City / Town: Cambridge
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 10:24:43 AM »
I had the same issue, to the point where I considered changing the bike. I increased pre load on the rear to move more weight into the front and changed to Roadtec tyres, massive difference, feels like a new bike, but as I done both changes together I can't tell you which made the biggest difference, front end feels great now. Hope this helps.

Online gluemonster

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 16 Black S1000R
  • City / Town: Boise, Idaho
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 04:57:52 PM »
Does anyone know what the rear shock/linkage differences are between the R and he RR? I'm guessing the shock link is the only difference and if that is so changing it out to the RR's would raise the rear to give the R the same geometry as the RR. Has anyone tried this?

Recent Posts/Topics