Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: MotoGP and BTSport  (Read 7460 times)

Offline S1000R

• Forum Help & Support
  • S1000R Pro
MotoGP and BTSport
« on: February 27, 2014, 07:23:52 PM »
Whilst waiting for our bikes I thought I'd throw this little conversation piece into the mix.

If you follow MotoGP then you'll know that the TV rights have been lost by Eurosport and the BBC, and for 2014 BT Sport will be taking on the coverage.

Personally I think that's an absolute disaster for the MotoGP viewers in the UK by Dorna giving it to a single station, and a new one at that. I had previously watched it on Eurosport as part of my Sky package but now I either sign up for BT Broadband (no thanks, been there before) or pay extra to see it on Sky. In some ways I don't mind paying a few squid extra but the BT Sport channel is primarily football so why would I want to do that when I have no interest in football. And how much will it be well it's a little confusing as the BT website says 12.00 per month to add it to a Sky package plus a 15 activation fee. The word "from" is also in there so the cost could be anything as it's no transparent.

The subject has been talked about in many places so wondered what people on here though, one for discussion maybe ! 

:821:

Edit:  After investigation the word "from" is in there because if you want to view in HD (and who doesn't these days) then it'll be 15 per month. Hmmm.... thats 180 pa just to watch MotoGP plus the 15 activation fee. A whooping 195 per year extra on my Sky package !

Offline deadhead

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: MT-09
  • City / Town: Bournemouth
Re: MotoGP and BTSport
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 11:03:32 PM »
I quit Sky 6 months ago and haven't missed it at all. The monthly bill was reaching 100 and enough was enough. That 100 will pretty much cover buying the new S1000R so it was an easy choice. If you search Google I'm pretty sure it won't be to difficult to find the races for steaming or download. It's a shame they don't offer the same deal as WSBK where by you can pay just under 70euros to watch every race of the season in HD. BT must have thrown some serious cash at them for exclusive rights, which is a shame as it's the fans that suffer.
Kawasaki ER6n (2012) SOLD
BMW S1000r(s) (2014) SOLD :(
Yamaha MT-07 ABS (2014) SOLD
Yamaha MT-09 ABS (2015)
KTM 1290 SuperdukeR (2017) On Order

Offline Red Valkyrie

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: S1000R (I hope)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 12:55:52 PM »
If you are looking to get broadband or considering changing suppliers, then you can get BT Sport from PlusNet for 5.99 or 7.49 per month for HD, thats half the cost of BT.

http://www.plus.net/tv/btsport/

As they go PlusNet is a reasonable broadband supplier so worth consideration. I only know as my brother is moving soon and he's changing to PlusNet so that he can get MotoGP on his sky box. He's a bit of a racing fanatic anyway so he'd probably mortgage the kids to watch it if he had to.

There is some irony here though as PlusNet is technically owned by BT  :138:  but they operate independently.

Offline Baxter

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 06:02:15 PM »
I pay 65 per month for Sky and I must admit I'm not sure I'd go without it. However, if I needed to add 195 per year for motogp then it wouldn't happen. Just too much money, I'll stick with BSB and WSB, generally they are more exciting anyway. I certainly wouldn't be paying BT for the privilege.

I loath BT ever since they started charging extra money just to pay your bill each month. Think they called an admin charge or something. Was about 5 month which is outrageous just to pay your own bill. Then they started charging us extra when we didn't use the phone. I kid you not, we had an extra service like calling display and in their small print you had to make a a few calls a month (why?). We hardly used the land line as we had our mobiles so they slapped us with that charge as well. They can go and jump, thieving toads, eventually took my business elsewhere.

Offline deadhead

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: MT-09
  • City / Town: Bournemouth
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 07:14:45 PM »
 I pay Virgin just over 40 a month for a120mb fibre optic line and I feel for me at least it's better value as I can stream or download what I want in a true 1080p which of course sky does not. I can and now do live without sky TV but in no way could I lose the ability to go online  :005:
 Each to their own I guess.
 Will be interesting how well BT do with motoGP as it's surprising to me at least how many people flatly refuse to have anything  to do with them.
Kawasaki ER6n (2012) SOLD
BMW S1000r(s) (2014) SOLD :(
Yamaha MT-07 ABS (2014) SOLD
Yamaha MT-09 ABS (2015)
KTM 1290 SuperdukeR (2017) On Order

Offline Baxter

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 02:27:53 PM »
News is that it will be now be shown on ITV4 as well on Mondays after a race weekend:

http://f1broadcasting.wordpress.com/2014/03/08/itv4-win-rights-to-screen-motogp-highlights/

No Moto 2 or Moto 3 though but better than nothing.

Offline awg

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Hockley
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 01:02:38 PM »
Hi,

You can watch all races by subscribing to https://secure.motogp.com/en/Subscribe?utm_source=motogp.com&utm_medium=banner&utm_content=Overlay_Pre_Qatar&utm_campaign=2014_FullSeason at 140 Euros a year. I took the easy but annoying option of coughing up 15 to get it added to my Sky package.

Allan

Offline whitebmwr

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: s1000r sport
  • City / Town: BATLEY
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 02:14:37 PM »
I have by broadband so get it free and the best bit is Mel Sykes is on it so happy days

Offline Beamish

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000r
  • City / Town: Lincoln
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 07:50:39 PM »
The only reason (other than the kids and wife's choice of shite) I have sky is for the bike racing so I am pretty lucky to be using BT as my Internet provider! Thank god i would be gutted paying 70 quid a month and missing the gp.
Red S1000R Sport

Offline Gilly76

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: R1/MTS1200/S1R
  • City / Town: Stourbridge
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 10:08:20 AM »
My broadband deal was up at the end of last year, so it was a no brainer for me. Paying a little less monthly, and now I have BT sport on the box. I have paid the 2 month to upgrade to the HD version and it looks fantAstic, especially under the light in Quatar.

Yesterday's coverage was really very good. IMO as good if not better than Eurosport and the BBC, and I assume it'll only get better.

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor