Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Battery problem?  (Read 3087 times)

Offline aphroke

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
Battery problem?
« on: May 23, 2017, 07:27:11 AM »
I've had my 2017 s1000r since mid Feb and have done about 8200 kms with it so far. Am absolutely loving it, but recently I found that the engine doesn't run as smooth as it used to. The last couple of weeks it sometimes seems to hold back a bit when I ride at a constant speed (in the city or on the highway especially). The dealer says I should ride it in a lower gear so that it makes more rpm. But I already tend to do that...

Anyway... less than two weeks ago the bike wouldn't start after a friend helped me adjust the pre-load. the battery voltage was too low so we had to jumpstart it. I blamed it on the fact that we had the ignition on for too long, so didn't really pay much attention to it.

On Sunday, I came back from a 5-day trip to Germany, and yesterday I took the bike out for a short ride. When I tried to start it again after less than an hour, it didn't want to start and I had to call BMW assistance to jumpstart it again.

The guy mentioned that a cell might be dead in the battery. Seriously? The bike is 3 months old and has only 8000 kms...

Then again, I had the same thing happen on my previous s1000r (but not as soon as now).

Thoughts?
Tamara | 2017 S1000R | Belgium

Offline Sharpe996

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Leicester
Re: Battery problem?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 08:34:32 AM »
It sounds like your battery is faulty or the bike is not charging the battery properly while you are riding it.

I would take it back to the dealer for a warranty repair or replacement battery.

Offline BillB

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: White '15 S1000R
  • City / Town: Cary, NC
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 01:03:48 PM »
Check for loose connections.
Check generator output voltage across RPM range.
Perform a load test on the battery - it could have a weak cell.
Also, check current draw when bike is "off".  Make sure there are no unusual parasitic draws.

Offline terpion

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Warsaw
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 01:56:14 PM »
If it is under warranty, let the shop figure it out.
I had an issue where the alternator was not generating enough power to run and charge, replaced under warranty. I'm not sure how thorough your dealer is, so just be careful as they may choose a path of least resistance (read lazy) and change your battery and call it a day. If they do change the battery only, measure voltage at home on battery terminals as the motorcycle is running, it should read at least 13.7 Volts.

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $40
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 11:59:28 PM »
OEM batteries do fail. This is the confusing part, people say the battery is new so it has to be okay. I would never consider buying one when the warranty ran out. Too expensive also.

Offline Noggie

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Stavanger
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 08:16:57 AM »
If a battery is fully depleted it sometimes fail (cells fail), and it takes damage every time.
I read a battery test on car batteries, and after 3 complete discharges, there was only 40-60% capacity left in the batteries (depending on manufacturer). So you really don't want that to happen.

The assistance tech might be right in his assumptions, hard to say without knowing your use, but if you do frequent starts and short rides the bike won't be able to charge the battery on those short rides. Maybe you need a battery charger to keep it topped up, just a thought.

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $40
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 04:58:34 AM »
Noggie is correct, it really helps to keep a smart charger on hand and just plug the bike in after each ride. I keep one rotating between three bikes, two days each. BMW bikes use a lot of battery power just sitting. The 9 amp hour battery is small and it is easy to discharge. Three or four times and it is toast. Set up a pigtail direct to the battery for your charger, 15 amp fuse and it is usefull. Keep in mind the 2017 bikes have a 407 watt alternator, the previous models only 350 watts and that is not much. The bike uses about 200 just to run.

Offline aphroke

• S1000R Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 05:21:36 AM »
thanks for the feedback guys! Took the bike in to have the battery checked over a week ago and it turned out to be just fine so the problem has to be something else...

This past weekend I was in Germany with a bunch of friends and at one point I turned the ignition off, took the key out but the engine was still running  :012: I was able to turn the engine off by putting it in 1st gear or by using the killswitch, but had to remove the main fuse and the dashboard fuse to completely shut the bike down...

I'm guessing both problems could be related. Apparently it's a known ignition switch problem.

Taking it in for its 10.000km service tomorrow and to have a look at this as well of course.

Offline aphroke

• S1000R Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 09:14:37 PM »
well, here I am again... about a year and 10.000 kms later... having battery issues again  :151:

AND on top of that the exup valve is stuck  :157:

the bike is now at the dealer's where they will repair the exup valve under warranty and they are looking into the battery issue, once again...

Offline Go_Outside

• S1000R Pro
  • 2004 KLR 688plus , 2009 ZX6R
  • Bike: 2016 S1000R
  • City / Town: SF Bay Area
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 06:10:00 AM »
2016 S1000R here. It goes to the dealer once a year for service. Last year they said the battery failed and replaced it under warranty as a favor since they were sure it was one of the extra circuits I wired into the bike. Mind you there was no measurable drain on the battery when off and I use a battery tender if the bike has been sitting for more than a week.
This year I get the same news, battery failed test. This time it takes some convincing to get a new battery under warranty. Still no parasitic draw. Still tell me it is my extra circuits. I have a relay for a set of LED driving lights and and two Battery tender leads (one for heated gear) wired to the battery, open circuits. I have a tank bag wired to the acc circuit, no load with the key off. And, I still use the battery tender if I havent been riding the bike.
Extra bit of info, the battery failed when on the bike and passed on the bench. The fact that they checked the battery on the bench tells me they suspect something. I am pretty sure they let the new tech work on my bike, the old techs I wont argue with anymore, they have proven themselves right every time, but this new kid...
I love my bike and I hate that i am thinking of selling it because of this.
Every day should end with a smile.

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor