Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: DIY $14 ebay folding bar end mirrors installed with stock bar ends  (Read 1182 times)

Offline waktasz

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: s1000r
  • City / Town: Philadelphia
Finally got sick of the vibey stock mirrors, but didn't want to spend $65 each on CRG Lane Splitters plus $65 for the Rhinomoto bar ends so I rigged up a set of $14 ebay mirrors myself.  There is no vibration and a clear view without having half the mirrors taken up by elbows and shoulders. Here's what I did and what you'll need

Ebay - search for folding bar end mirrors. Mine were $14. I had a set of these before and honestly have no complaints. The mirrors are made to clamp to a 7/8" handlebar. This is important for the next step

Amazon- You need to make or buy some sort of spacer to bridge the gap between the 12mm bolt through the bar ends, and the 7/8" clamp for the mirrors. I bought a foot of silicon tube with a 1/2" inside diamter and 7/8" outside diameter for $5 on amazon and cut it flush with the mirrors. It worked perfectly
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQUCJFS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thread the bar end bolt through the silicon hose that you cut and sandwich the mirrors between the grips and your stock bar ends. It might not hurt to get some slightly longer bolts for this, but mine haven't arrived in the mail yet but it looks like it will be fine without them. MAKE SURE you don't have any interference on the throttle side that would cause the throttle to stick open.

Bought a m10x20mm cap head screw from the hardware store to fill the mirror holes.

Done

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 02:30:35 AM by waktasz »

Offline waktasz

• S1000R Pro
Re: DIY $14 ebay folding bar end mirrors installed with stock bar ends
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 02:29:05 AM »
Downsides- Less room to spread your hands out on the grip.  I might play with rotating the mounts a bit so I can spread my hands out more.

Offline aashu

• S1000R Pro
  • I like what I ride and I ride what I like
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Scotch Plains,NJ
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 03:43:45 AM »
Nice work. Wondering how they have been holding up so far. found these similar to what you have. Thought I should ask before I buy them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Motorcycle-Folding-Bar-End-Mirrors-Black-Aluminum-FOR-Ducati-Aprili-YAMAHA-/331960502581?hash=item4d4a634935:g:SMYAAOSwZVhWQ~zF&vxp=mtr
V-stream sports screen, T-Rexx sliders and case covers, Stompgrip, Ilemberg bellypan, sargent

Offline waktasz

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 03:53:45 AM »
The mirrors themselves are fine.  I have them on my Tuono now. s1000r is sold as of saturday

Offline aashu

• S1000R Pro
  • I like what I ride and I ride what I like
  • City / Town: Scotch Plains,NJ
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 12:08:57 PM »
Thanks. Did you get 2017 model ? Would love to hear comparison between two bikes some day. I am a big fan of Tuono :)
V-stream sports screen, T-Rexx sliders and case covers, Stompgrip, Ilemberg bellypan, sargent

Offline waktasz

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 01:37:52 PM »
Nope, 2016.
There's a thread here about them where I posted my thoughts. Basically the Tuono looks better, sounds better, is easier to ride hard, but the s1000 is better at everything else.

Offline S1000RSteve

• S1000R Junior
  • City / Town: Buford GA
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 07:44:32 PM »
great bit on the bar end mirrors. thank you and pretty funny on the Tuono, after you say what is better is there anything else lol?

Offline motoboy248

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: California
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 10:12:21 PM »
omg I'm sick with these mirrors from ebay, replace 3 of them in a year, vibrate af.... I know it's good price but it's suck

Offline waktasz

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 01:20:00 AM »
I have had a bad experience once also. The glass flew off the housing. They were a different style though. These ones I've had on 3 bikes now, no issue.

Offline ren

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2014 S1R
  • City / Town: San Francisco
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 05:33:03 AM »
Dude, your my hero.  Sorry for waking up this thread, but this is the greatest hack ever.  I had this done in 20 mins flat. (Also I just got my S1R today so it was one of the first things I did).
The rubber hose is genius!

Recent Posts/Topics