Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Manual cam chain tensioner anyone?  (Read 8284 times)

Offline CraigA

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Sunshine Coast
Re: Manual cam chain tensioner anyone?
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2019, 10:11:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by podders [+]
...and just giving my experiences and feedback....

So you've personally had an experience fitting a manual tensioner and wrecked your engine? Now the truth comes out!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 10:25:22 PM by CraigA »

Online podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2019, 07:32:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by CraigA [+]
So you've personally had an experience fitting a manual tensioner and wrecked your engine? Now the truth comes out!

I could have done (if I preferred them!)  but prior to it wrecking the engine, I put the bike up for sale and sold it to some poor sod who'd read that online that the fella Craig A and his mate had done 70,000kmh with them fitted so they MUST be OK... ...then they picked up the bill for it.

Fact is , some people do tension them incorrectly and unlike the stock tensioner, there can be a serious consequence to that, thats all im saying , no need to get overly defensive about your preferences..(we can all save that for fuel, tyres and oil debates!)

Offline CraigA

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Sunshine Coast
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2019, 07:47:47 AM »
Im not getting overly defencive at all mate, but I did ask for peoples experiences.

What I got from you was a story about what you'd heard on the interballs with no actual personal experience at all.
Then you bagged the idea of a manual tensioner not because they dont do the job required, but because some numpty who you heard about buggered up the installation.
If you heard that the same bloke had buggered up a brake pad or tyre fitting and crashed, would you be bagging out tyres or brake pads?

Fact is, some people should back away from the toolbox.  Put the tools down.
Blaming a part because of an owners lack of hand skills is actually quite a funny point of view.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 07:53:05 AM by CraigA »

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • any day on 2 wheels is a good day
  • Bike: 18 S1KR
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2019, 06:34:02 PM »

*Originally Posted by podders [+]
I could have done (if I preferred them!)  but prior to it wrecking the engine, I put the bike up for sale and sold it to some poor sod who'd read that online that the fella Craig A and his mate had done 70,000kmh with them fitted so they MUST be OK... ...then they picked up the bill for it.

Fact is , some people do tension them incorrectly and unlike the stock tensioner, there can be a serious consequence to that, thats all im saying , no need to get overly defensive about your preferences..(we can all save that for fuel, tyres and oil debates!)

Seems to me ....some folk's chains are already too tight!  :187: I, for one appreciate getting all expertise and insight concerning install/mods etc. An important detail raised I thought. 

Online S1KR187

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2018 S1000R MU
  • City / Town: Rustenburg
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2019, 05:36:58 AM »
I installed the normal silver one again. My bime has severe chain rattle, at cold start and does not go away even through every gear and when the engine is well heated up. Whats your guys take on the problem? BMW said I must bring in my bike so they can check. Warranty wont cover itcos I had a rapid bike ebo, sprint filter and full Akra headers installed. Bike only has 9000km on :440:

Offline Mitslol

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
  • City / Town: Alkmaar
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2019, 06:51:38 AM »
Did the silver plug reduce the noise?

Recent Posts/Topics