Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Best tank bag/tail pack option.  (Read 9630 times)

Offline Clivescoobydo

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000r Sport, R1
  • City / Town: Surrey, UK
Best tank bag/tail pack option.
« on: March 13, 2017, 03:22:36 PM »
Hi all,  I'm thinking of doing a European tour this summer, what do you think is the best tank bag and tail pack option. Do all tail packs require the rear pegs fitted or do some attach to the rear frame or hooks mounted where the pegs attach? I'm also worried some tank bags scuff the paint. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Never ride faster than your guardian angel 😇

Offline BillB

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: White '15 S1000R
  • City / Town: Cary, NC
Re: Best tank bag/tail pack option.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 03:48:49 PM »
You are probably going to get a ton of responses, as there are so many options to choose from.  There are several posts discussing some of the various bags and luggage systems available.

I can offer that I have the BMW tail bag, and that it probably offers less versatility compared to the fancier luggage systems.  A short trip might be ok, but if I were doing a long trip, I'd probably look into one of them.  Pile enough crap on the tail, and its bound to rub the paint somewhere.  The BMW bag touches the paint a little but has a rubberized bottom so no damage is done.  It does strap to the pillion peg supports, but I have racing straps there instead and they work just fine.

Good luck!

Offline Toolman

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: West Sussex
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 04:09:12 PM »
I've used cheap throw overs for the last 3 years, I've always gaffer taped over the paintwork though. Takes a bit of lashing down every morning so last year I bought a Ventura rack and 56L bag, I haven't used this yet but it looks quick to secure.

Offline DMC

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2016 sport black
  • City / Town: Liverpool
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 04:21:13 PM »
Motech panniers n wunderlich tank bag,did 2 weeks in Spain last year n they're spot on👍👍

Offline Toolman

• S1000R Master
  • City / Town: West Sussex
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 04:32:26 PM »
Do the Motech panniers touch the paint?

Offline DMC

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2016 sport black
  • City / Town: Liverpool
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 04:59:08 PM »
I put the non slip mat underneath it and it was fine,2 others with same set up,no problem 👍👍 if you position it right it doesn't touch

Offline J biker

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: Geordie ville
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 05:31:35 PM »
Used one of these for a Spain trip, sorry couldnt find a better link;

Solid, despite looking bulky it sits nicely behind the rider. Waterproof inner bag. Tested up to ---mph (plenty lol).
Need some protection on the paint around the seat unit, I just used black electrical tape. Peeled off and left no marks afterwards. Fastened down to rear footrest hangers. If your riding at anything above 'sight seeing' speeds then that is what I would recommend. Have seen Kriega come loose and tailpack heading in to the back wheel on other bikes when away. Dont fancy the consequences of that.
In the past have had various soft luggage, it has either moved, leaked or been a pain in the.., this stuff I would use again.
As to tank bags that dont scratch, its either baglux with the tank cover or one those filler cap clip on jobs. The rest will move and will scratch!
Honda ss50 Kawasaki kh125 Kawasaki z550 Suzuki gsx1100f Honda vfr750 Yamaha fzr600 genesis Yamaha fzr1000 genesis Yamaha fzr600r Honda vfr400 Suzuki gsxr750 srad Yamaha r6ltd Yamaha r1 Yamaha fz1s Kawasaki zx636r Suzuki gsxr1000 ducati mts 1200 bmw s1000r R1200GSlc KTM 1290gt

Offline and.427

• S1000R Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 05:46:03 PM »
I have a Ventura system for long trips, no need to have rear pegs fitted and easy to put bag on and off after a days ride. I have not used it on the bike yet but will in June for a 2000 mile trip to Spain however my dad used a ventura system on his S1000r last year and worked a treat.

i also use a baglux tank cover and small 3 litre bag on tank for tolls documents etc.

Bought mine of Ebay from a S1000RR and fits great.

Good luck with what ever  your choice. personal preference really

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 R1250GS TE
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 06:38:36 PM »
Ventura tail bag system every time for me.  Huge capacity, rock steady on the bike (tested to around 150mph several times over the years), no paint damage.  Bag attaches or removes in less than 10 seconds, the rack in about 5 minutes (with tools).  No pillion footrests required (I have racing hooks).  I've been using the same bag for several thousand miles and many years, just change the rack as I change bikes.  I've seen friends lose the contents of their cheap luggage, the odd soft pannier and rain covers and had to stand around for ages waiting for them to faff about with straps of all kinds.  In the end, the Ventura system has converted them all to the cause because it works so well.

Up front, I'm happy with the Wunderlich sport tank bank as I don't like to carry much on the tank.  Attaches securely and is enough for spare gloves, wallet, neck warmer and a good size insulated water bottle.  Doesn't obscure my sat nav.  Would be better if it had a clear window on top for documents.  I guess it could scratch your tank if you let the base get dirty... but no problems so far as I keep it clean.

Offline rdecae

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1R
  • City / Town: Atlanta, GA
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 07:12:28 PM »
for tank bag I like these SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock EVO Sport Tank Bag  wide range of sizes, and they do not touch the tank surface, and are quick and easy to remove for fueling, but are secure at warp speed.  for tail bag I use a ventura system
2015 S1R (daily commuter)
2009 BMW G450X (dual sport)
2006 SV1000 (track bike)

Recent Posts/Topics