Author Topic: Dynamic - Dynamic Pro: Wheelies  (Read 132503 times)

Offline Joe85

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Kent
Re: Dynamic - Dynamic Pro: Wheelies
Reply #310 on: April 23, 2018, 05:12:36 PM
*Originally Posted by miles [+]

This is correct.  In most cases it will prevent too high a loft.

Thanks mate. I shall carry on with the wheelies then  :001:

Offline Bobs

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
Reply #311 on: April 23, 2018, 05:25:28 PM
Since it seems you just learned it, any beginner tipps? I still canít pull it off.
BMW F30 320d
BMW S1000R

Offline Joe85

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Kent
Reply #312 on: April 23, 2018, 07:38:29 PM
*Originally Posted by Bobs [+]
Since it seems you just learned it, any beginner tipps? I still canít pull it off.

Sad as it sounds, i watched a couple of youtube videos first to get an idea of positioning etc. The most useful i found was the below: (Ignore that the bloke seems a bit of a twat)

Find some straight empty road. Firstly try to relax, you want to grip the tank with your legs rather than hold on to the bars for dear life - a nice relaxed posture. Roll the bike forward and get the bike up to about 4-5k revs in first. Once there then blip the clutch and give a small dose of the throttle. I say small as you are just trying to get used to the sound of the engine and the "feel" of the wheel coming up ever so slightly slightly. At first the bike will kind of just lurch forward like you've been hit from behind, which is fine, just means you need to add more throttle and/or hold the clutch in ever so slightly longer, but as you practice you will feel the wheel and bike wanting to come up. Experiment with increasing the throttle very slightly and holding the clutch in a little bit longer.

Soon you will know the sound of the engine when you have nailed it and you will be getting the wheel up all day long. Just dont try to get it facing the pole star too quickly or you could end up on your arse. Be content with small mini wheelies until you are comfortable with where to pop the clutch and open the throttle in the rev range.

HTH.

Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 07:43:27 PM by Joe85

Offline Blue26

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Dublin, CA
Reply #313 on: April 23, 2018, 09:16:41 PM
Wow .. can't believe this thread is still going  :152:

Offline Bobs

• S1000R Pro
Reply #314 on: April 24, 2018, 06:35:33 AM
*Originally Posted by Joe85 [+]
Sad as it sounds, i watched a couple of youtube videos first to get an idea of positioning etc. The most useful i found was the below: (Ignore that the bloke seems a bit of a twat)

Find some straight empty road. Firstly try to relax, you want to grip the tank with your legs rather than hold on to the bars for dear life - a nice relaxed posture. Roll the bike forward and get the bike up to about 4-5k revs in first. Once there then blip the clutch and give a small dose of the throttle. I say small as you are just trying to get used to the sound of the engine and the "feel" of the wheel coming up ever so slightly slightly. At first the bike will kind of just lurch forward like you've been hit from behind, which is fine, just means you need to add more throttle and/or hold the clutch in ever so slightly longer, but as you practice you will feel the wheel and bike wanting to come up. Experiment with increasing the throttle very slightly and holding the clutch in a little bit longer.

Soon you will know the sound of the engine when you have nailed it and you will be getting the wheel up all day long. Just dont try to get it facing the pole star too quickly or you could end up on your arse. Be content with small mini wheelies until you are comfortable with where to pop the clutch and open the throttle in the rev range.

HTH.

thanks mate, I will give it another try!
BMW F30 320d
BMW S1000R

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
Reply #315 on: May 03, 2018, 10:05:50 PM
Itís a useful thread - I was new to the S1R but it helped me suss things out - I run in Dynamic and Iím no wheelie king - itís great though giving it full beans and the wheel hovering, or hitting a rise and the front giving a good lift but with the bike settling it all down - a bit of a cheat but my other option is to flip it !!! In the other end, itís great pushing the traction control too !  Great bike and electronics

Offline CrazyBiker

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1R|Tuono|Tiger
  • City / Town: Fremont, CA
Reply #316 on: May 04, 2018, 01:35:41 AM
The technique in the video simply works. Remember a few extra thousand revs of clutch pull in is the trick. The mistake most do is start with quick snap in/out the clutch while blipping the throttle which is a more advanced stage and hard to time right the first time.

Another tip is to adjust the clutch to shift the engagement zone farther away from the bar for quick timing.
2015 Ducati Panigale 1299S NRC FE|Throttle Spacers|StompGrips|Heatshields|T-Rex Protection
2016 Tuono V4 1100 Factory  RACE ECU|Arrow Exhaust|RSV4 Bellpan|CF Tank/Tail sliders|Powerbronze Screen|Koso Heated Grips
2017 Tiger Explorer XCa  Expedition Cases|ADV protection

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 R1250GS TE
  • City / Town: Somerset
Reply #317 on: May 04, 2018, 08:43:21 AM
*Originally Posted by CrazyBiker [+]
Another tip is to adjust the clutch to shift the engagement zone farther away from the bar for quick timing.

Do you mean that those with an aftermarket adjustable clutch lever should set it farther away from the bar? It wouldnít be a good idea to adjust the slack in the stock clutch lever - youíd risk screwing up the micro switches.

Offline SwiftTone

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: Ducati SFs
  • City / Town: Bosstown, MA
Reply #318 on: July 18, 2019, 10:16:17 PM
*Originally Posted by BillB [+]
This chart may help show what is responsible for what...

Where is this from and for what year?

sociology-monitor