Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: and now there is a XR calling... time to split?  (Read 1524 times)

Offline ampj8

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1kR, Duc Hyper
and now there is a XR calling... time to split?
« on: January 29, 2017, 11:23:41 AM »
Had on mind for some time about having a bike on which I can ride with passenger. The R is not suited for that and the need is increasing as time goes by, so as to keep riding and enjoying on my side of course.

Did tested the XR and loved it. Just the buffeting from the OEM screen and maybe the slight vibrations the only cons instead loved the shifter pro and how quick it is, one can ride as fast as with the R on normal roads.

Went to my dealer and asked if good offers, got one and seems to me a fair price for my R.

It's white, the low version which suits me just fine.

So for me it is either take this one now or then forget and wait till other time get demo one of 17's or wait end of this year for deals (however this topic euro 3 vs euro 4 has this prices offered).

:087:

Offline jjsc6

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 16 S1000R
  • City / Town: Houston, Tx
Re: and now there is a XR calling... time to split?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 12:32:09 PM »
If it's all about the money, buy the bike now.  Look at it this way, divide the money you spend by the miles you put on it.  If it's the bike you really want and need, the sooner you buy it the more you are getting you moneys worth out of it.
2016 S1000R - Gone Feb 2018
Current....
2017 KTM Superduke GT
2015 BMW 1600 GT
Ducati 1199 Panigale

Offline BillB

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: White '15 S1000R
  • City / Town: Cary, NC
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 02:30:11 PM »
If you have a need for two up riding, the XR seems like a great choice.  Doesn't sound like you're going to see a deal on 17's for quite a while.

Offline ampj8

• S1000R Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 04:20:24 PM »
Thanks, I know that because of change in regulations they have plenty of euro 3 bikes, been following up the trends and those not sold before the end of 2016 are now getting additional discount. Will get some parts off my R moved to the XR and that is also some money (coming from a BMW dealership).

jjsc6: indeed one argument in my head is that same one you mention. Last year did around 13000 km between 2 bikes, the R got 8.5 of them. I do feel that with the R I will ride more time though, so certainly not a weekend bike I ride every possible day to work and when I need to give a "ride" then now I would have an option.
Still I have a toy bike for crazier fun (hypermotard SP 939)

It looks likely....

Offline andrewbrandon19

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Yorktown, VA
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 04:22:32 PM »
Is an extra 5hp and a handlebar with less vibration worth the extra money?   That seems to be all it comes down to.   
2015 BMW S1000R  -  The DD
2014 Toyota Taco  -  The "its raining" or "its under 30F out"
2013 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster SOLD
2006 Pontiac GTO  SOLD
1995 Pontiac Firebird  SOLD

Offline ampj8

• S1000R Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 04:27:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by andrewbrandon19 [+]
Is an extra 5hp and a handlebar with less vibration worth the extra money?   That seems to be all it comes down to.

I think the determining factor for the dealerships is the anti-pollution norm, otherwise I am certain they would not offer additional money. In fact it comes to the price of the whole set of cases side and top with key barrels. That in summary is the advantage I get now.

Think the biggest difference between euro3 and euro4 comes from under the engine on the resonance box, exhausts are the same the XR euro 3 is quite dampen compared to a R from same spec.

So still I could get a nice smaller pipe and enjoy while being legal in my country while a euro 4 has to wait longer to get any available legal option into the market and who knows... bigger?

Offline ampj8

• S1000R Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 11:25:14 PM »
So at the end it took me less than a week to decide and today got delivery of my new XR.

Rode some 120 km and first impressions of my summer ride were well there. I took the lowered suspension model, feels really good.
I can find all what the R has into the XR excepting the position the 3 DDC modes and in a very limited way the turning ratio.
My heated grips on this XR seem less warm than those in the R so will ask when doing my first service.

I wonder if the XR is not taking off the sales of the R in some proportion because once you ride it the differences are few, means neither the R is ultra-extreme or the XR a full touring therefore an overlap.

I liked the growl in the XR which is more pronounced than in the R and the OEM exhaust sounds nice.
Funny is that the overrun popping only available as from Dynamic and Dynamic Pro modes. They call it on the manual as "deceleration acoustics"  :034:

I had my R modded so it would be comfier on longer trips, did some and it became better at it no doubt however I was wrong then, I should have had this one instead. Now I think I will ride more for the sake of riding plus the normal weekend or one day rides going as "dynamic" as possible!

Shifer Pro is great.

Will keep reading around thanks for all to everyone.
 :305:

Offline BillB

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: White '15 S1000R
  • City / Town: Cary, NC
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 11:42:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by ampj8 [+]
So at the end it took me less than a week to decide and today got delivery of my new XR.
Congrats, ampj8.
I wonder if the XR is not taking off the sales of the R in some proportion because once you ride it the differences are few, means neither the R is ultra-extreme or the XR a full touring therefore an overlap.
It most definitely is.  In BMW 2016 sales, the S models were 16% of units sold. RR's: 9016, R's:5835 and XR's: 8835.     
Now I think I will ride more for the sake of riding plus the normal weekend or one day rides going as "dynamic" as possible!
That's all that matters!

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor