Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: RAM Handlebar mount - bar diameter?  (Read 3484 times)

Offline Noggie

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Stavanger
Re: RAM Handlebar mount - bar diameter?
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 07:43:02 PM »
Pictures as promised.

I placed the ball on the front left clamp bolt as I wanted my phone on the left side.
I went for the detachable iPhone 6 mount, so it snaps off pretty easy and I can bring it with me when I leave the bike. Only downside to this is that you cant have another cover on your phone, so if you use another cover normally, you have to remove that first.
with the standard extension arm I can get my phone placed so that it doesn't block the view of the instrument cluster, and it is high enough not to get in conflict with my small tank bag.

Offline StuartH

• S1000R Junior
  • City / Town: Bury
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 10:50:33 PM »
Hi Noggie,

Thank you very much for information and photos  :047:

Offline jdr

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: So California
RAM Handlebar mount - Bolt torque specification
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 04:21:31 PM »
For the RAM Motorcycle Handlebar Clamp Base with M8 Screws, I have 3 questions (first 2 answer should be in the service manual for thos who have it)...
1) What is the tightening torque for the handlebar clamp bolt?.   N-m or ft-lb, I can convert.
2) Does the service manual state if one should use a thread locking agent (like blue/removable Loctite)?
3) What was the length of the new bolt that fit best, 55, 60 or 65 mm. RAM says original bolt length +30 mm. I can find out when I take the original bolt out and by trying.

I may replace my current setup using the stem hole, for this mount base, in case a mechanic needs to work on my bike in that area and struggle removing/re-installing my current mount base. And also because the base of a stem-mount has a small amount of remaining free play, due to the diameter gap between the bolt and hole through the base it goes through, if compression friction forces are overcome on the end of the inserted part of the base (which can be somewhat eliminated by over-tightening at the cost of over-compressing the expanding rubber).

Thanks, and happy RAM mountings.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 04:35:30 PM by jdr »

Offline jdr

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: So California
Re: RAM Handlebar mount - Bolt torque specification
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 11:45:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by jdr [+]
For the RAM Motorcycle Handlebar Clamp Base with M8 Screws, I have 3 questions (first 2 answer should be in the service manual for thos who have it)...
1) What is the tightening torque for the handlebar clamp bolt?.   N-m or ft-lb, I can convert.
2) Does the service manual state if one should use a thread locking agent (like blue/removable Loctite)?

I learned today while at the service department of a local dealership...
  • No thread locking agent.
  • On each side of the handlebar clamp with 4 bolts: Front bolts should not be loosened or tightened while rear bolts under tension. So loosen rear bolts before removing front bolts, and torque front bolts before inserting+tightening+torquing rear bolts.
  • Handlebar clamp bolt torque is 14 ft-lb or 19 Nm.
Now you know everything I know.

Offline MotoPost

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
  • City / Town: SoCal
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 10:00:53 PM »
@jdr, this is GREAT info. I will be using it for my install to get the bike ready for my cross country journey.

Thank you all for this thread.

Offline MotoPost

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
  • City / Town: SoCal
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 10:04:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by sweatmark [+]
I bought a RAM Mount Tough-Claw (small I think) as base for iPhone holder, with Claw grabbing the handlebar just outside of left-side handlers clamp. YMMV but the combination of Claw + short arm + iPhone mount provided the perfect dynamics, magically tuned to amplify the bike's vibration into sufficient violence... and my iPhone died after about 18 hours riding over 2 days. Seriously.

Purchased a good vibration measurement app for this coming season and will investigate damping techniques. I use my phone as GPS and cannot afford another random iPhone replacement.

So I posted this on another thread to explain why the OEM Navigator VI with damper and secure mount is a better idea than using a phone for navigation (if money is no object).
The vibrations are a real problem for the camera modules and other components in phones/ tablets. Ditto with GoPro prob.
Perhaps, only do this if your device is still under warranty? Even then, there is a risk a claim may be declined if they determine mechanical causality for the failure.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:41:41 PM by MotoPost »

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 08:42:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by MotoPost [+]

So I posted this on another thread to explain why the OEM Navigator VI with damper and secure mount is a better idea than using a phone for navigation (if money is no object).
The vibrations are a real problem for the camera modules and other components in phones/ tablets. Ditto with GoPro prob.
Perhaps, only do this if your device is still under warranty? Even then, there is a risk a claim may be declined if they determine mechanical causality for the failure.

You have a valid point but it does depend on the phone case more than the mount I believe.

I have an ultimateaddons case and the phone itself sits in thick rubber moulding with the outer case around it, had it fitted since the Summer(18) and a few thousand miles with no bother to the phone at all.

I also used this same case for a year or so on a much more vibey Honda Firestorm.

This is the insert.

https://www.ultimate-motorcycle.co.uk/products/insert-for-ultimateaddons-apple-iphone-6-6s-7-4-7-tough-case-ua-hardwpi747

The complete case..

https://www.ultimate-motorcycle.co.uk/collections/iphone-7/products/ultimateaddons-iphone-7-4-7-waterproof-case

As it is..

Recent Posts/Topics