Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Please Teach me how to Wheelie  (Read 10114 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Kaos Theory

  • S1000R Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 148
  • Country: ie
  • Bike: '17 S1000R
  • City / Town: Dublin
Re: Please Teach me how to Wheelie
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2016, 06:35:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by OneEyeMan [+]
Kaos,
I just re-read your post at the top of the page.
You say to "put it in ROAD mode and deactivate ACS".  I assume you mean ASC, right?
Why would ASC have any effect on wheelies?  I thought it just kept the rear wheel from spinning and sliding.  Also, why ROAD mode?  Wouldn't you want Dynamic pro for the sharpest throttle control.
Thanks again,
Lenny

Hi Lenny, ASC is switched off as it prevents the front from lifting in ROAD mode, also, the reason I have it in road mode is in DP, throttle response is so sharp there's less forgiveness. Also, I'm usually in road mode anyway so its easier to just disable 1 safety system than to switch riding modes.

Offline MFGamesta

  • S1000R Member
  • **
  • Posts: 55
  • Country: us
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: San Clemente, US
Re: Please Teach me how to Wheelie
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2016, 07:34:22 AM »
Just this weekend I was out riding.  There is a hump in the road and when I'm on my sumo, I just launch to get some air.  Well, I was on my R (only 3k miles and I'm not the wheeling type on this bike) and slowed down as I know the hump is coming up.  (I was gong like 20 mph in 2nd.)  I was like, eff it...  I'll give it a little gas just to get the front wheel off the ground a tad.  This is my  road...I own this sh#t. :169: 

Well, I gave it a little gas and damn near looped my 3 month old bike!   I was like WTF!!!   :005:  I don't mind lifting it off the ground under acceleration but this Teach McNeil sh#t ain't for me.  I don't really like to wheelie my dirt bikes...ok...I do like to wheelie my dirt bikes.   :007:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 07:36:56 AM by MFGamesta »

Offline jjsc6

  • S1000R Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 685
  • Country: us
  • Bike: 16 S1000R
  • City / Town: Houston, Tx
Re: Please Teach me how to Wheelie
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2016, 12:13:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kaos Theory [+]
Hi Lenny, ASC is switched off as it prevents the front from lifting in ROAD mode, also, the reason I have it in road mode is in DP, throttle response is so sharp there's less forgiveness. Also, I'm usually in road mode anyway so its easier to just disable 1 safety system than to switch riding modes.

The front absolutely will come up in road mode.  Obviously not as much, and may not carry is as far.  But it will come up.
2016 S1000R - Gone Feb 2018
Current....
2017 KTM Superduke GT
2015 BMW 1600 GT
Ducati 1199 Panigale

Offline JR3Esq

  • S1000R Member
  • **
  • Posts: 75
  • Country: us
  • Bike: S1000R, K1600GT
  • City / Town: Hoover
Re: Please Teach me how to Wheelie
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2016, 12:29:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by jjsc6 [+]
The front absolutely will come up in road mode.  Obviously not as much, and may not carry is as far.  But it will come up.

Very little...will basically just feel light before the ASC sets it back down.  Comes up about a foot in Dynamic.  I've been afraid to see how much it will come up in DP.  I know there are varying opinions on whether there's any electronic "wheelie control" in DP or not.  The manual says "it's possible to flip it in extreme circumstances".  That wording leads me to believe that there is some, but it's not fool proof.  I've yet to see the ASC light come on in DP mode, so either there is none as some think, or Im not capable of finding the limits of it.

Great thread for us "new to sport bike" guys who don't know how to really wheelie.  Not sure I've learned how here, but found some new things to maybe play with.  Never considered putting in ROAD and disabling ASC. 

I've asked this before, and will ask here again:  The only control...ie. degree of control on ABS and ASC/DTC are the riding modes.  Each mode with it's own parameters.  Then ABS and/or ASC/DTC can either be left on, or turned off.  There is not true "dial a wheelie" like on the RR.   ASC/DTC are either on or off together...you can't enable/disable one without enabling/disabling the other.  ABS is separate and can be enabled/disabled on it's own.   Is that accurate? 

I'm still learning this bike, and my dealer/sales dude wasn't so "up to speed".  Reading a manual isn't my superpower.

Offline jjsc6

  • S1000R Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 685
  • Country: us
  • Bike: 16 S1000R
  • City / Town: Houston, Tx
Re: Please Teach me how to Wheelie
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2016, 06:06:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by JR3Esq [+]
Very little...will basically just feel light before the ASC sets it back down.  Comes up about a foot in Dynamic.  I've been afraid to see how much it will come up in DP.  I know there are varying opinions on whether there's any electronic "wheelie control" in DP or not.  The manual says "it's possible to flip it in extreme circumstances".  That wording leads me to believe that there is some, but it's not fool proof.  I've yet to see the ASC light come on in DP mode, so either there is none as some think, or Im not capable of finding the limits of it.

Great thread for us "new to sport bike" guys who don't know how to really wheelie.  Not sure I've learned how here, but found some new things to maybe play with.  Never considered putting in ROAD and disabling ASC. 

I've asked this before, and will ask here again:  The only control...ie. degree of control on ABS and ASC/DTC are the riding modes.  Each mode with it's own parameters.  Then ABS and/or ASC/DTC can either be left on, or turned off.  There is not true "dial a wheelie" like on the RR.   ASC/DTC are either on or off together...you can't enable/disable one without enabling/disabling the other.  ABS is separate and can be enabled/disabled on it's own.   Is that accurate? 

I'm still learning this bike, and my dealer/sales dude wasn't so "up to speed".  Reading a manual isn't my superpower.

How much it comes up has a lot to do with conditions.  I've had mine up a good foot in Road Mode, and I've had it carry it a ways.  I've also had it not come up at all in Road.  I admit that it normally does what you said, but it can surprise you sometimes.

There was a post in a previous thread that showed a chart that BMW put out that showed there is no wheelie control in DP. I cannot confirm that at all as I have never ridden mine it DP.
2016 S1000R - Gone Feb 2018
Current....
2017 KTM Superduke GT
2015 BMW 1600 GT
Ducati 1199 Panigale

Offline Rob1975

  • S1000R Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 10
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
Re: Please Teach me how to Wheelie
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2016, 10:02:57 PM »
I find this bikes electronics really do help to build confidence in doing wheelies. I started doing power wheelies in Rain and getting the feel of the front end rising and conditioning my brain to get my right foot to cover the brake just in case. Then worked my way through road where you get bit more lift. Then to Dynamic and you can do quite a decent wheelie without having to turn traction control off in this mode. Just practice with chopping the throttle to the right point and feathering it will allow you to a decent wheelie with front wheel in the air for 5-6 seconds.

Offline NuTTs

  • S1000R Member
  • **
  • Posts: 36
  • Country: es
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Madrid
Re: Please Teach me how to Wheelie
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2016, 05:53:44 PM »
I've had the front up in Road mode but the electronics quickly bring it down again.. Rain mode with a mate on the back up a switchback the front end got a bit light but the ASC brought that back into check.

I've done some power wheelies in 3rd and I was going a bit over the speed limit (ahem).

I'll try Dynamic mode if the weather's good and roads are clear.. I need to go to a wheelie school where I'm not worried about binning my new, expensive motorcycle  :001:
Shenanigans Inc.

Offline SwiftTone

  • S1000R Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 120
  • Country: us
  • Bike: Ducati SFs
  • City / Town: Bosstown, MA
Re: Please Teach me how to Wheelie
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2019, 09:08:18 PM »
I was learning wheelies the past month and eventually got doing 2nd gear clutch up wheelies from 45mph 5000rpm. It'll let me lift about 2-3 feet off the ground and I land it at 85mph. This is in dynamic with TC on. Sometimes the TC light will start flashing at me toward the end of the wheelie and put me down. I had to tame my wheelies at things can go wrong pretty fast at 85mph though I've never had a scare.

For shitz and giggles I put it in rain mode and turned off TC. Surprisingly it is still pretty easy to pick up the front but its smoother and throttle is not as direct. less intimidating. If I were to ever learn balance point wheelies then I would learn in rain mode.

 


Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor