Author Topic: Is this bike jerky at low revs?  (Read 18691 times)

Offline brandonjclark

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2014 Red s1kr Pr
  • City / Town: Elmwood Park
Re: Is this bike jerky at low revs?
Reply #50 on: July 30, 2017, 11:20:02 PM
*Originally Posted by DK biker [+]
I bought my bike last year  in denmark. 2014 model with 11000 km. The running was jerky, it was hunting at around 3500 - 4000rpm. An akro shorty was fitted before I had it. Under the buyers warranty I got the dealer to go through the electrics and software, at the same time I was having the well known engine stall problem. After the software check it all ran smoothly and ran even more so after I put a pipe werx db killer in to eliminate what seemed to me was antisocial noise. The engine stall was eliminated but that is another story. In the beginning I was wondering if it had been a big mistake buying this model but  it has grown on me :152:

Thanks for your input.  Could you link to this DB killer thing? 

Also, I absolutely adore the performance of the bike!

Offline DK biker

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: s1000r
  • City / Town: bække
Reply #51 on: July 31, 2017, 05:14:58 PM
Hi Brandon
              I found the link here  in the forum under akropovic shorty baffle. It was discussed back in september 27 2016.
   www.pipewerx.com/accessories/pipe-werx-quiet-open -style- baffle. It fitted perfectly , even the fixing screw lined up with no problem. My theory is that the extra back pressure evens out the fuelling and still sounds good

Offline brandonjclark

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2014 Red s1kr Pr
  • City / Town: Elmwood Park
Reply #52 on: July 31, 2017, 05:28:20 PM
*Originally Posted by DK biker [+]
Hi Brandon
              I found the link here  in the forum under akropovic shorty baffle. It was discussed back in september 27 2016.
   www.pipewerx.com/accessories/pipe-werx-quiet-open -style- baffle. It fitted perfectly , even the fixing screw lined up with no problem. My theory is that the extra back pressure evens out the fuelling and still sounds good

Hmm, link isn't working.  But yes, I have the hunting issue in between 3-4k revs.  I also put on a shorty slip on from Race Pro.  However, I did put the stock slipon back on and it didn't revert it back to running clean.

Now I'm thinking it makes sense to disconnect the battery and reset the computer.

Offline DK biker

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: s1000r
  • City / Town: bække
Reply #53 on: July 31, 2017, 05:59:17 PM
If you use the forums search function, as I did earlier today then the link does work and takes you directly to the product.
  It was easy to find under - akropovic shorty baffle. Thats where I got the idea last year. good luck  :002:

Offline BlackBeast

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Netherlands
Reply #54 on: April 17, 2021, 05:18:53 PM
*Originally Posted by Noggie [+]
I got the bike back.

And its no longer jerky.
Other than fluids the only things changed was the plugs, and they were completely black and did not look good at all.
The air filter was cleaned with compressed air as it was not too bad and changed 3000km ago.

Since I just had a new tire installed I could not push the bike, but since my issue was at low rpm and speed that was no problem.
I'd say 90% of the jerkiness is gone, and the acceleration feels smoother too.

There is still a software update to be done as his computer crashed, so it will be done next week sometime.
My mechanic had a talk with the BMW factory regarding the rough running and apparently this is a known issue.
BMW actually said that if the latest update did not fix it the bike needed to be tuned.
This is where things get a bit strange to me, but due to different regulations (emissions) in various countries, some places the country BMW importer put in different fueling software to meet local regulations, and this had emerged an issue in a few specific countries, usually related to the bike trying to run as clean as possible.
BMW apparently had a "generic map" that fixed the issue but made the bike run "less clean".
Sounds strange but thats what I was told.

If any of you guys have, or you bike has started running rough and jerky, you may try to replace your plugs.

Massive bump in this topic, but I rather use an existing topic than start a new topic about the same topic.

I bought a 2nd hand 2019 S1000R exactly one month ago. It was 2nd hand, only had about  900miles/1500km on it. The test drive was smooth, two other S1000R 's that I took for a test drive were smooth too.

But immediately after picking it up from the dealer, I had this serious jerky engine between 3000/4000 RPM. No matter the drive mode whatever.

Took it back immediately of course, the confirmed the issue, was immediately look at etc. Didn't really do much. Went back a week later to have it looked at again.... and then even took it to a BMW dealer (the store I bought it from is an ex-BMW dealer and still are BMW service).

The BMW dealer checked it, updated software, resets etc. etc. Took it for a long test drive, etc. Couldn't find anything wrong. Although they also confirmed the engine was a big jerky.

Today for another ride, it's just jerky as hell, it takes away all the fun out of the bike.

I did read noggie's fix, apparently the plugs, but his bike only had 900miles/1500km on it. This can never be a plug problem. It does however remind of the time my card had shitty spark plug cables.

The bike still has 1 and a half year of full BMW warranty, but still, I rather have this issue fixed yesterday.

Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 05:19:17 PM by BlackBeast

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
Reply #55 on: April 19, 2021, 06:02:50 PM
I’ve had 2x Mk1s and am now on my second Mk2 - the previous 3 bikes were fine, perfect even when it came to throttle control -  this 2020 plate though has a terrible jerk - just a slight mis-position at low throttle can lunge the bike forward in a corner - it’s definitely a thing and baffling why this bike is different - engine is the usual bag of nails - it also whines loudly in top gear (my first Mk2 did it in second) - all part of  BMs reputation, backside saving and compensating extended warranty approach no doubt? . Great to ride as long as you put anxiety to the back of your mind !!!

sociology-monitor