Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Blown Fork Seal Repair - [How To]  (Read 6208 times)

Offline Supermarine

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000r
Re: Blown Fork Seal Repair - [How To]
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2017, 01:19:33 AM »
Just like to add you dont need to remove the DDC cartridge, unless you want to strip it 100%, same goes for the right side if you are only doing seals.The right side(non ddc side) is actually a bit trickier if you dont have the right spring compressor.As mentioned in this nice how to, there is not much oil in the DDC fork as the cartridge takes up a lot of space, right side holds more.

Offline wippet

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: '16 S1000R
  • City / Town: Cairns
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2019, 01:16:11 AM »
Excellent write-up and excellent photos - well done  :028:

I've hit 2yrs with my 2016 s1000r so am doing the fork oil change as per the BMW maintenance guide, however the DDC fork oil is basically clear and looks brand new. Having read through this it's probably because the DDC damper rod is a sealed unit so you're not actually changing the oil inside this.

Just wondering whether anyone has changed the DDC damper rod oil. It seems like just changing the oil thats simply lubricating the fork leg is a bit of a waste of time at 2yrs and 12,000km's, especially when the oil in the damper rod is what's doing all the work. The oil in the right (non DDC leg) was a bit darker but without a compression tool I haven't worked out how to dissemble it and properly pump the oil out of it yet - but also don't want to buy a compression tool if it's also a sealed unit and I'm just changing lubricating oil?

I've got the BMW Service Manual and it's not very specific on this.

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2019, 01:57:04 AM »
Very helpful indeed. I also read somewhere else that some dealers are not doing fork oil at 18k miles(on street ridden bikes), because all the onbes they have done so far have just resulted in changing out clear oil. this is also my experience, having done the oil change on mine and a buddies S1kR at 18k each. both times the oil coming out looked pretty clean and fresh with no bad smells.

Recent Posts/Topics