Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Acknowledging other riders  (Read 5182 times)

Offline Kenko

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: Vmax Honda X11
  • City / Town: West Bromwich
Acknowledging other riders
« on: May 18, 2016, 07:57:39 PM »
Out last Sunday with my son who was riding his Harley Street Rod and pulled up at traffic lights along side two other Harley riders, he looked across to acknowledge them but they just looked straight ahead, I was on my S1000..

! No longer available
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 08:00:56 PM by Kenko »
Most of my life, I drank whiskey, rode bikes, and chased women..........the rest of it I just wasted.

Offline Marlowe

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Saratoga, CA
Re: Acknowledging other riders
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 10:35:57 PM »
Harley riders in general are the most anti-social of all riders, at least here in SoCal. Not surprised that they wouldn't acknowledge you on a BMW but interesting they didn't even acknowledge their fellow harley rider. Maybe they were having a bad day, lol.

I wave to every rider I see, even folks on scooters and those tricycle things. I'd estimate about 5 of 100 Harley riders wave back, vs 90% of sports bike riders.

Before I bought my S1KR I rode a Yamaha Bolt, which looks a lot like a Harley 883. I would regularly laugh my ass off when a Harley rider would give me the wave and then get a stricken look on their mugs when they realized I wasn't on a Harley, like they wish they could somehow take it back.

Regardless, I keep waving. When I'm on my bike I feel happiness and love for the world around me, and I don't give a rip if they don't wave back. They don't owe me anything and if they want to be grouches that's on them.

I did like how both of you blasted past them, ha ha.

Offline BikerTim

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: red/black 2017
  • City / Town: Poole
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 11:21:32 PM »
Well of course the V-Rod series are not 'real' Harleys 'cos they are water cooled and have technology and stuff on them. Also beneath contempt are HD Sportsters 'cos they are girlie bikes etc etc. Your bikes sounded wicked accelerating off up the hill.

Offline Calzate

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000R
  • City / Town: RESTON
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 12:43:04 AM »
The angle of your gopro is spot on. How do you like that front carbon fiber wheel cover?

Offline Zig Zag

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Black Storm
  • City / Town: Virginia
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 01:25:08 AM »
Couple of bad asses on soft tails lol.
I spent 33 years riding Harleys.
I traded in a Harley for this bike.
Don't feel bad if they don't wave they are just doing what they think a real biker would do.
And watch out most of them can't ride for sh#t.

You should remember that its peace of mind youre after and not just a fixed machine.
Robert Persig

Offline jjsc6

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 16 S1000R
  • City / Town: Houston, Tx
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 01:36:55 AM »
I actually find that most Harley riders do wave. I can honestly say in my many, many years of riding that BMW riders are by far the worst at waving.  I wave to any motorcycle....even mopeds because I don't want to be that snobbish prick who does not wave.  I've been doing it since 1971 
2016 S1000R - Gone Feb 2018
Current....
2017 KTM Superduke GT
2015 BMW 1600 GT
Ducati 1199 Panigale

Offline Zig Zag

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Black Storm
  • City / Town: Virginia
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 02:05:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by jjsc6 [+]
I can honestly say in my many, many years of riding that BMW riders are by far the worst at waving.

True!
You should remember that its peace of mind youre after and not just a fixed machine.
Robert Persig

Offline Kaos Theory

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: '17 S1000R
  • City / Town: Dublin
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 08:25:47 AM »
Out for a spin, I've wave/nod at any biker, after all, I'm onl my bike having fun, you're on your bike having fun, we're the minority compared to car drivers, why not acknowledge each other?

On the commute thought its different, the few people I meet seem to view their bikes simply as a tool to beat traffic so nothing is exchanged. If someone nods though, I'll nod back, nice to get that on the daily spin to/from the office.

Offline ArtnoC

• S1000R Pro
  • Track addict!
  • Bike: 2015 s1000r
  • City / Town: Chicago, IL
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 12:43:39 PM »
It just depends really.  In that situation, it's rather snobbish not to acknowledge a fellow rider.  Some days, there are so many bikes on the road, I can't shoot out the "upside down peace sign" to all of them, but I try.
Yoshimura F Elim
Pazzo Levers / Rizoma Brake Res / sprocket cover
R&G Frame sliders
Motocomposite CF Matte
Akra Evo exhaust - full

Offline skapan

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Toronto
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 12:56:47 PM »
The only time we have NOT waved at other riders was New Year's eve in Key West - far too many drunken college students on rented scooters. No wave for them.

Recent Posts/Topics