Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2015 S1000RR exhaust mount (another option)  (Read 37401 times)

Offline Enzio

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Pretoria
Re: 2015 S1000RR exhaust mount (another option)
« Reply #220 on: April 16, 2018, 07:25:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by Noggie [+]
Well, I finally decided on the slip-on, and ordered a Cobra Ultrashort for a -15 RR.

Plan was to replace the system today........ until I found out that BMW put nuts with 12-sides on the exhaust manifold, and my standard 6-sided socket set is useless.
This means I will have to buy tools, and most places don't have 12-sided socket sets, so I might have to outsource the job to my regular mechanic.

Anyways, I'm getting closer to completing this project, and here is the Cobra can.

I quite like the look of that slip-on, perhaps because I was looking at building a custom shotgun style exhaust for mine at some stage using 2 Termignoni carbon silencers....
I hope the dB killer works well, otherwise it will end up being loud as hell.

Interesting comment on the tools - here in SA the 12 sided sockets are the norm, and you typically have to special order 6 sided ones as hardware shops don't carry them (unless they are impact sockets, of course)
My trusty little 3/8" drive Mastercraft set did the job easily, you will just need a universal joint as well as 2 of the inner nuts sit at a weird angle relative to the exhaust piping.
I got nothing.....

Offline Noggie

• S1000R Pro
  • City / Town: Stavanger
« Reply #221 on: April 16, 2018, 05:27:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Enzio [+]
I quite like the look of that slip-on, perhaps because I was looking at building a custom shotgun style exhaust for mine at some stage using 2 Termignoni carbon silencers....
I hope the dB killer works well, otherwise it will end up being loud as hell.

Interesting comment on the tools - here in SA the 12 sided sockets are the norm, and you typically have to special order 6 sided ones as hardware shops don't carry them (unless they are impact sockets, of course)
My trusty little 3/8" drive Mastercraft set did the job easily, you will just need a universal joint as well as 2 of the inner nuts sit at a weird angle relative to the exhaust piping.

Since the RR exhaust still has cat's I think it will be OK, not too loud, but louder than stock.

I have a 1/4" metric set with 6 sided sockets, also have a 1/4" inch set that is 12 sided, but those will "almost fit" and I'd hate to mess up the nuts. 6 sided is the norm here nowadays, I can probably get 12 sided but I expect it will be expensive and have to be ordered with lead time.
Sucks to have a trolley full of tools, and then you end up needing something "special" to do a simple job.

Offline lospsi

• S1000R Pro
  • City / Town: Athens
« Reply #222 on: April 16, 2018, 05:53:58 PM »
I didn't find any problem buying 12 side socket for cheap in a random hardware store here too. Doesn't some tools have in one side the 6 side socket and in the other side the 12 side one?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:57:44 PM by lospsi »

Offline ogi22

• S1000R Member
« Reply #223 on: April 16, 2018, 06:22:00 PM »
Soo.. it is worth that i upgrade my akrapovic short slip on with 15" RR headers?
maybe with akrapovic update SW will be delete low rpm lag or i need to buy PCV?

Offline Noggie

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #224 on: April 16, 2018, 06:25:04 PM »
Found a set at a more "advanced" tool store, for 85 euros, but its a Teng Tools so proper quality.
Guess I'll have to go by tomorrow and pick up a set.
My regular mechanic was taking bookings from May 7th and onwards.

Offline Noggie

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #225 on: April 17, 2018, 04:04:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by ogi22 [+]
Soo.. it is worth that i upgrade my akrapovic short slip on with 15" RR headers?
maybe with akrapovic update SW will be delete low rpm lag or i need to buy PCV?

If you have an Akrapovic slip-on on your -R, it won't fit the -RR pipe without a link pipe.
If you do this mod, you need to buy an -RR slip-on.

Sound wise I guess you can just youtube for -15/-16 RR with just a slip-on for an impression.

I will post a video when I do my mod.

Recent Posts/Topics