Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Engine Stall  (Read 244797 times)

Offline Fig

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: s1000r
  • City / Town: Pymble
Engine Stall
« on: April 24, 2014, 02:53:11 AM »
Just wondering if anyone else has had the engine stall while down-shifting, with the clutch in, coming to a stop? I'm new to BMW and have read a few threads in relation to the RR that mention this however most point to rider error. Quite disconcerting when you have a car on your tail.

Cheers
========================================
Update

So had my first service, use only 95 RON fuel (used to use 98 RON) and avoid downshifting into second gear to take a slow corner, making sure I'm not lazy with the clutch. Didn't happen for a month or so but then thought I'd try it again and boom, engine just dies.
========================================

Having this problem? gustavocvlho has created a questionnaire to help zero in on the problem and get something done. It can be found here: http://goo.gl/forms/aN57JASqIs
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 02:25:53 AM by Fig »

Offline WhiteKnite

• S1000R Pro
  • Exploring Korea
  • Bike: S1000R, R6
Re: Engine Stall
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 03:52:16 AM »
I did have that happen once on this bike.  It happened a couple times on my F800ST as well, about twice in 10,000 miles.  Probably just a mild fueling error.  I wouldn't worry unless it starts happening consistently. 

Offline Fig

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: s1000r
  • City / Town: Pymble
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 03:59:50 AM »
Cool, thanks for the reply.

Offline ecosse08

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 04:56:03 AM »
Happened once to me too...

Offline marxman

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2014 S1000R Blue
  • City / Town: Eastern Mass.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 01:28:15 AM »
Happened to me twice when i was riding the bike back from the dealership, came to me with 2 miles on it. Since then it has not happened.
2014 BMW S1000R - Frozen Blue

Offline PaulD

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2014 s1000r
  • City / Town: Darwin NT
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 02:24:49 AM »
Yeah it happened with mine, I kind of attributed it to having the revs too low in too high a gear but after a week or so it hasn't happened again, it occasionally has a stumble where the revs drop to around 500 before picking back up

Offline jj57

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Forbach
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 10:27:42 AM »
I've the same trouble , but happens offen.
My dealer asks me waiting running out before do anything :-(
https://www.s1000r.co.uk/index.php/topic,382.0.html

Offline Trashman

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Grants Pass, OR
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 08:47:58 PM »
I'm in the same boat as you guys. Its happened to me 3 times that i can remember(400miles on the bike so far). I think i've found a way to recreate it:
Start slowing down for a stop, downshift to second(i don't think gear really matters), let the clutch out enough to let the revs start to rise back up(but not all the way out), then pull the clutch back in. Thats the sequence of events that has lead up to mine stalling.

Offline WhiteKnite

• S1000R Pro
  • Exploring Korea
  • Bike: S1000R, R6
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 12:31:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Trashman [+]
I'm in the same boat as you guys. Its happened to me 3 times that i can remember(400miles on the bike so far). I think i've found a way to recreate it:
Start slowing down for a stop, downshift to second(i don't think gear really matters), let the clutch out enough to let the revs start to rise back up(but not all the way out), then pull the clutch back in. Thats the sequence of events that has lead up to mine stalling.

Sounds like a glitch in the electronics.  Hopefully they will sort it soon with a firmware update then. 

Offline S1rdek

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1r
  • City / Town: Northeast
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 01:33:30 PM »
It's showing symptoms of fuel cut. It's where the injectors are shutoff, i.e. receive no signal, when fully closing the throttle from high(ish) rpm. Try not to fully close the throttle on downshifts & see if it still happens. It's a product of epa laws. Raising the idle may help but I think the dealer needs to do it electronically on the s1r..

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor