Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Damping adjustment problem  (Read 11557 times)

Offline 1964Hall

• S1000R Pro
  • Gone but not forgotten....
  • Bike: S1XR (red)
  • City / Town: South UK.
Re: Damping adjustment problem
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 09:45:33 AM »
Take a look at my bike and where the ziptie is on the RH front fork.
Even when hitting a bump on the brakes it has not moves right to the bottom meaning it is set fairly good.

I suspect if you were to fit loosely a similar ziptie yours would be pushed further down?
\v/
In the garage...
S1000XR

Offline 1964Hall

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 09:57:04 AM »
More detailed pictures for you...

Postion of zip tie after riding for a while on bumpy roads.

Position of adjuster.
(I have changed this since this pic was taken. After 7k miles as it needed a few more turns in to bring the sag to 10mm)

Edit: You might have been correct in naming the subject SAG adjustment problem in the first place if something has broken with the front preload adjuster. As I mentioned in my first post, that adjustment is mechanical, if it breaks there will be no computer error, it should be obvious to a competent mechanic if it has broken and is not compressing the spring.
\v/
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:01:41 AM by 1964Hall »
In the garage...
S1000XR

Offline jp75duc

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 10:15:13 AM »
Thanks Hal youre great!

When i say soft i mean when i do a heavy braking on a stop sign the front of the bike dives like a dirt bike - when i use soft on the DDC the bike didnt used go half way like it does now.
It must me something mechanical. The zip tie you show on the pic goes that far in soft (DDC) and while heavy braking right?
The adjuster position you show on the pic no matter which position it is the bike stifness doesnt change...

Offline 1964Hall

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 10:45:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by jp75duc [+]
Thanks Hal youre great!
No worries Dave (2001: A Space Odyssey)   :173:

dives like a dirt bike

For sure adjusting the damping would slow the dive down if it is indeed working, but it sounds to be that your pre-load adjuster is broken and the suspension is already to far compressed when your riding and the extra load of braking just bottoms it out.

By chance can you spin that adjuster on the RH front fork with your fingers?
\v/

In the garage...
S1000XR

Offline jp75duc

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 11:35:06 AM »
The bike is at the dealer now i cant try that atm  :003:
As soon as i have an answer from him ill let you know. Cant wait to get the bike ready, i really love this bike.

Offline jp75duc

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2015, 05:52:11 PM »
UPDATE:

My dealer called me today with an update. When he connect the bike to the computer he commands the bike suspension. He chooses between soft, normal and hard and the bike assumes all the values, on the front and rear suspension.
When he unplug the bike from the computer and choose those suspension settings on the bike itself, the bike assumes all three states (soft, normal and hard) on the rear but on the front the bike stays always on soft. With that said, tomorrow he will run thru all the wirings that go to the sensor to check where the fault is - its electrical, but he needs to find where.

Hope you understand what i just said  :431:

Offline Lowrance

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1KR
  • City / Town: So Cal
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2015, 07:36:18 PM »
Reseating the connector might cure the issue but more than likely a the DDC module or fork cartridge will need replacing.
Why is common sense so uncommon?

Offline mac900

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Honolulu
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2015, 05:44:12 PM »
UPDATE:

My dealer called me today with an update. When he connect the bike to the computer he commands the bike suspension. He chooses between soft, normal and hard and the bike assumes all the values, on the front and rear suspension.
When he unplug the bike from the computer and choose those suspension settings on the bike itself, the bike assumes all three states (soft, normal and hard) on the rear but on the front the bike stays always on soft. With that said, tomorrow he will run thru all the wirings that go to the sensor to check where the fault is - its electrical, but he needs to find where.

Hope you understand what i just said  :431:

If the dealer has the diagnostic computer (ISIS?) hooked up to the bike and is controlling the suspension from there & the suspension is operating properly then that will pretty much rule out the wiring or the actual suspension components.  That seems like a DDC control module problem.  Hook up alternate module (ISIS) and everything works then fine. Hook back up to the bikes module and problem occurs....... there you go.
No modification goes unpunished. ---- Good people drink good beer. ----  It's all up to your skill level, your thrill level and your will level. Everything else is just fluff. ---- Memento mori.

Offline 1964Hall

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2015, 10:12:34 PM »
Do have the bike sorted yet fella?
\v/
In the garage...
S1000XR

Offline jp75duc

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2015, 10:28:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by 19645Hall [+]
Do have the bike sorted yet fella?
\v/

Hi mate! A new ddc unit coming from germany. My dealer said that some units are faulty and not to be sad because i'll be receiving a 3rd generation unit that is being currently equipped on the S1000XR. I'll keep you updated, thanks for asking :062:

Recent Posts/Topics