Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Damping adjustment problem  (Read 12112 times)

Offline jp75duc

• S1000R Pro
Damping adjustment problem
« on: September 08, 2015, 06:32:32 PM »
Hello,

Im posting this to see if it happened to anyone else  :003:
I went to the BMW dealer to adjust the sag on my bike. I weight 77kg and according to the manual it comes adjusted for 85kg. We did everything by the book, we started on the rear suspension and it was spot on, comfortable enough without losing the sport side of it. When we get to the front suspension we found ourselves a problem: after adjusting the "screw" on the right side (sorry my poor technical language), the front of the bike got too soft. He then tried adjusting on the other direction and it was still too soft. No matter the direction we was screwing left or right the bike never got hard again. The bike is on the dealer for 3 weeks now. When plugging the bike to the computer there are no errors at all, they cant find the problem! I rode the bike for a bit and even of Dynamic pro and hard suspension the bike was softer than road mode on soft suspension.

Anyone can share some light here?

Thanks all ... its a pain in the ass missing the last days of sun because of something so stupid...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 10:58:51 PM by jp75duc »

Offline 1964Hall

• S1000R Pro
  • Gone but not forgotten....
  • Bike: S1XR (red)
  • City / Town: South UK.
Re: SAG adjustment problem
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 09:14:08 PM »
The preload adjustment on the Right hand fork is mechanical.
Screwed clockwise (as you look down on it) applies pressure to the spring. The aim is to get the recomended 6-10mm sag.
Here's what Ive done, actually about 4 hours ago as I checked mine again after 7000 miles.
For your bike I would start engine, place damping in soft mode and wind that adjuster anticlockwise (looking from above) all the way back out to the stop so lots of rings are showing.
Go for a ride over some bumpy roads if possible to work the forks.
Fit a zip tie lightly around the inner (polished) fork tube, make sure it holds its postion but can be slide up/down tube fairly easily.
Start the bike and allow to tickover.
Place the damping into soft mode.
Pump the forks a little up and down to free stiction.
Slide the zip tie up to the dust seal.
Gently sit on the bike in normal riding postion with all your riding gear on, and just lightly lift the feet off the ground when the bike is centrally balanced (dont drop it or make harsh movments)
Get off bike gently after leaning it on side stand.
With engine still running stand bike up centrally and measure distance between zip tie and dust seal.
Turn the RH adjuster clockwise to reduce the gap.
 Aim for 10mm (Im 74 kilos fully kitted and that works for me)
I would suggest windining it in two lines at a time untill your near 10mm, re do the sequence above of sliding zip tie up, sitting on bike, re measuring the gap.
Then adust one line at a time to get it accurate.
The above is far easied with an assistant.
However, if you are finding it is still to soft and the adjuster is wound all the way in so no lines are showing, then something is missing or broken in the suspension.
Mind rides firm, but handles larger bumps nicley.
Ive set the rear to 22mm, it is wound in possibly 7 turns or so.
HTH.
\v/

In the garage...
S1000XR

Offline jp75duc

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 09:33:43 PM »
Hi 1946Hall, that was nice of you to explain step by step how to do it - better than the owners manual  :152:
The problem is that the bike now is completely soft -kind of a dirt bike setting - and turning that preload on the right hand fork one way or the other does absolutely nothing  :157:

Offline 1964Hall

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 09:45:38 PM »
No problem with step by step. I just wanted to make sure that was clear.
Also the ziptie method of keeping an eye on the maximun travel is usefull.

In theory if the adjuster on the RH fork was wound all the way in so no lines were showing, you should notice if you fit a ziptie as I suggest, that it will be pushed less down the the fork tube, if the adjuster in wound out so all the lines are showing the ziptie would be pushed almost and possibly right to the bottom of the fork tube.
This would eliminate/prove if that adjuster was working.
However, It would appear that you may have a faulty valve in the damping system if no errors show. Perhaps the electronic adjuster is working so no errors, but the mechanical part of the valve is faulty?
\v/
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 09:48:19 PM by 1964Hall »
In the garage...
S1000XR

Offline jp75duc

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 10:02:04 PM »
Exactly! but the problem is BMW in Germany needs to see the error on the system to supply new parts - but the computer shows no error at all. All systems are working perfectly according to it...

Offline 1964Hall

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »
Is it just the front end that is always soft?

Is the rear working okay, so is stiffer when set in the harder mode?
\v/
In the garage...
S1000XR

Offline jp75duc

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 10:10:53 PM »
Well mate i would love to answer that, in all honesty i dont remember in the short run i had with the bike. I was so focused on the front acting like a sponge that i cant remember  :006:

Offline 1964Hall

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 10:32:11 PM »
Well I think your dealer needs to use some common sense.
If it is obvious that damping cannot be stiffend up then something has broken regardless of what the computer states and they should push BMW to allow them to investicate further.
You need to lean on the dealer harder, you are missing a load of fun on a bike you have paid for.
Is it still in warrenty, if so they should sort it out and lend you another until they do in my opinion.
\v/
In the garage...
S1000XR

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 10:48:10 PM »
Maybe my understanding is incorrect, but setting the SAG does not directly make the suspension stiffer, but is more to put the suspension in it's prime position (30% total travel) with rider aboard. So I do not believe turning the front or rear preload adjusters is going to make your suspension appreciably stiffer!

If I misunderstand what the SAG adjustment does, someone please educate me!?!  :440:

Offline 1964Hall

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 10:53:03 PM »
Yes you are correct Simon. The title of this thread should perhaps be Damping adjustment problems.
However, it would appear the dealer was trying to set the sag, and somehow the damping has gone pearshaped in the process.
\v/
In the garage...
S1000XR

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor