Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cold Start Issues  (Read 22974 times)

Offline jbul

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Hobart
Re: Cold Start Issues
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2018, 01:07:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by Matt [+]
My bike started doing this last November when the weather was getting warmer, resetting the ECU adaptations fixed it for a while, did the dealer try that for your bike?

They may have but they haven't mentioned it. The put new firmware on, cleaned injectors and adjusted throttle bodies. None of that worked so they're putting all the eggs in the 95RON basket - I think the 95 being easier to ignite is only hiding the symptom, not fixing the cause, and think if the manual recommends 98 then it should start without issue on 98.

Offline anoldman

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2018, 01:51:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by jbul [+]
I think the 95 being easier to ignite is only hiding the symptom, not fixing the cause, and think if the manual recommends 98 then it should start without issue on 98.

I hear you mate, went through exact same issue with my dealer - remapped, adaptives reset, etc. No matter what, on 98 RON it was a khanofathing to start on cold mornings. Sure, it starts a bit better on 95, but the underlying problem is (in my humble opinion) fuel pressure/fuel pump. Anyway, before I could press the issue further, I sold out and grabbed a spankers 2016 GSXR 1k. Fires up with a roar and strong idle when cold. Hopefully, Jerry is reading all this and taking a good look at why the best street bike in the World is a total dog to start when cold.

Offline jbul

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2018, 01:55:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by anoldman [+]
I hear you mate, went through exact same issue with my dealer - remapped, adaptives reset, etc. No matter what, on 98 RON it was a khanofathing to start on cold mornings. Sure, it starts a bit better on 95, but the underlying problem is (in my humble opinion) fuel pressure/fuel pump. Anyway, before I could press the issue further, I sold out and grabbed a spankers 2016 GSXR 1k. Fires up with a roar and strong idle when cold. Hopefully, Jerry is reading all this and taking a good look at why the best street bike in the World is a total dog to start when cold.

Yeah, the service department and bmw motorrad Aus haven't been much help. Yesterday I did actually contact bmw motorrad - they've asked me to email the .de motorrad support - I doubt it'll result in anything other than - talk to your dealer but can't hurt to try.

Offline jbul

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2018, 05:05:43 AM »
Dealer called today and said mine started fine this morning but the new one they have in the showroom took multiple starts before it would remain running. They said that requiring multiple starts in cold weather (below 20 degrees C) is a "characteristic of the bike".

Offline Nugget

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2014 S1000R
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2018, 03:20:15 AM »
I guess I was lucky then. Mine used to always take 2-4 starts to get it going on 98. It was pretty embarrassing showing off my new bike to people and not being able to get it started. Since switching to 95 it starts strong everytime no matter what temperature. Mine's a 2014.

Offline Simonr23

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2018, 03:48:51 AM »
I hate our countrys consumer protection laws.

On 95ron fuel, youre not making 118kw. I dont know the exact figure, but itll be somewhere around 110-/+2.

Ill take the stupid cold-start, rather than lose the poowwwaaahhh.

Offline Nugget

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2014 S1000R
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2018, 04:10:51 AM »
My manual actually recommends 95RON, I'm guessing that goes for all the pre Euro 4 bikes.

Offline Simonr23

• S1000R Pro
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2018, 04:57:53 AM »
95 is fine as most modern engines control timing to allow for differing octane levels. The engine only makes is stated power figures though on 98ron fuel.

Its also possible that all Aussie s1000r bikes have been re-tuned to be best suited to 95 and dont actually make the advertised power. Thats a whole diferent(and very interesting) kettle of fish, though.

Wouldnt surprise me with our lack of transparency and protection systems here.

Offline Raisa_c

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Bucharest
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2018, 09:15:04 PM »
My starting problem is like this: i turn on the key:) i wait a couple of sec, then press the ignition button, it cranks for one or two seconds then it stops(while the ignition button is still pressed). The battery is good. The tank is full with 95ron, the battery is excellent state. Eventually, after 3-5 times it starts but idles roughly between 1000-1500 rpm.
Help. Has anybody experienced this?

Offline Enzio

• S1000R Pro
  • City / Town: Pretoria
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2018, 09:27:34 AM »
Have you checked your battery connections?
Sudden high current draw can have the effect you have described if the battery connection is poor.
I got nothing.....

Recent Posts/Topics