Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Coolant recall.  (Read 97612 times)

Offline JTKnife

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Lk Stevens
Re: Coolant recall.
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 04:11:30 PM »
That's ugly news indeed. Are the BMW recall notices not available online? failed gasket or casting as someone pointed out this won't be a cheap date for BMW..

Offline BillB

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: White '15 S1000R
  • City / Town: Cary, NC
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2015, 04:13:24 PM »
I'm a little rusty on my fluid dynamics coursework, but how can the length of tubing directed downward affect the rate of evaporation?  I can see having a little 90deg elbow or U at the top to help condense what does evaporate and direct it back into the reservoir, but other than that,isn't the tube merely to direct any outflow?

Plus, I would suspect the nipple and tube I.D. is much larger than 3mm.  It's hard for me to believe that there is that much evaporation out of that hole even if the coolant in the reservoir  is 200deg.

Offline mac900

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Honolulu
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2015, 05:33:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by BillB [+]
I'm a little rusty on my fluid dynamics coursework, but how can the length of tubing directed downward affect the rate of evaporation?  I can see having a little 90deg elbow or U at the top to help condense what does evaporate and direct it back into the reservoir, but other than that,isn't the tube merely to direct any outflow?

Plus, I would suspect the nipple and tube I.D. is much larger than 3mm.  It's hard for me to believe that there is that much evaporation out of that hole even if the coolant in the reservoir  is 200deg.

Absolutely correct.  The vent hose will have nothing to do with evaporation. If somebody wants to try this they can block off the small square hole at the top of the expansion tank. The coolant will still likely disappear.

Where it goes is back into the radiator when the cooling system is hot enough to develop enough pressure to open the radiator cap. Then as things cool it will suck the coolant from the expansion tank back into the radiator while the cap seal is still open. As soon as the pressure drops enough the cap seal will close off and the coolant flow into the radiator will cease.

We may have faulty radiator caps or the engines are burning some coolant and getting hot enough to cause that pressure build up in the first place.
No modification goes unpunished. ---- Good people drink good beer. ----  It's all up to your skill level, your thrill level and your will level. Everything else is just fluff. ---- Memento mori.

Offline mac900

• S1000R Grand Master
  • City / Town: Honolulu
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2015, 05:39:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by rockdog32 [+]
I just had this translated from a Taiwanese mate.
He said "Bmw is doing a recall  something with the coolen leaked leads to stall"

This may be the answer to both issues people are having.

Here is the valves removed from my bike.
I just showed a mechanic and he said they look like they are from an engine not serviced regularly. These came out of my bike at 4,000 klms. They look like they are covered in non combustible stuff. I've seen engines where the coolant is leaking into combustion chambers and this looks very similar.

Those valves look more like gasoline additive build up than anything else. Coolant leaking into combustion chambers generally shows up as a "washed" appearance and looks cleaner than a cylinder where it is not occurring. Plus if you have coolant leaking into a cylinder/combustion chamber you will also have a huge pressure increase in the cooling system.
No modification goes unpunished. ---- Good people drink good beer. ----  It's all up to your skill level, your thrill level and your will level. Everything else is just fluff. ---- Memento mori.

Offline boysie998

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Portsmouth
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2015, 07:51:18 PM »
When fitting my rad guards I noticed my 2015 (built last month) has a vent hose on the expansion tank..

Offline S1rdek

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1r
  • City / Town: Northeast
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2015, 07:55:42 PM »
Cold you post a pic for us all to see.
It'd be much appreciated  :002:

Offline IMFA

• S1000R Pro
  • City / Town: Stockholm
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2015, 07:59:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by boysie998 [+]
When fitting my rad guards I noticed my 2015 (built last month) has a vent hose on the expansion tank..

Please share a picture with us!

Offline fredaroony

• Ex Member
  • S1000R Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2015, 08:54:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by IMFA [+]
Please share a picture with us!

Mine is stamped 2/15

Offline mattyfish16

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2015, 10:05:19 PM »
Mine has that vent hole built last may..... I've lost coolent over the past 9 months, I hadn't checked but it was below minimum when I topped it back up
S1000R Evotech Levers and Rad/Oil grill, Rim Stickers, A lot of Carbon, Akra downpipes With Decat, Power Tech End Can, Smaller number plate, and a whole bunch of twist

Offline fredaroony

• Ex Member
  • S1000R Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2015, 10:07:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by mattyfish16 [+]
Mine has that vent hole built last may..... I've lost coolent over the past 9 months, I hadn't checked but it was below minimum when I topped it back up

The picture I posted was from the day after my 1st service...who knows what the dealer actually did.

Recent Posts/Topics