Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Coolant recall.  (Read 98946 times)

Offline fredaroony

• Ex Member
  • S1000R Grand Master
Re: Coolant recall.
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 01:35:39 AM »
You would think coolant going in would also affect the AFR. Glad I got that extra year warranty!

Offline rockdog32

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R,CB900
  • City / Town: Brisbane QLD.
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 01:42:10 AM »
Yep. could explain them running hot too. My truck with 900,000 klms does this. That model develops a small crack in the head gasket from the water jacket. Combustion heats the coolant up very rapidly. If mines doing this, which I believe it is, I want a whole new damn bike! At the bare minimum a replacement engine. It gums stuff up, destroys cat converters and soforth.

Offline Trackdad111

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: s1000r
  • City / Town: Inver Grove Hts.
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 03:22:38 AM »
So how many of us on the board have a coolant loss on a regular basis???? I just filled mine up over the weekend but I'm fussy about good maintenance and great performance.

Offline Wilson

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Taipei
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 09:56:43 AM »
Hello Guys, I'm here to clarified what's going on. Coolant lost and engine stall happening on Taiwan S1000R are two separate problems. if you look at RR's reservoir and compare with R, you will understand why we are loosing coolant. On RR its got a tube running down to prevent evaporation of coolant, where as on the R, we just got a 3mm hole. number of owner including me we added a silicon tube that runs down and beside the reservoir to prevent lost of coolant too quickly. Before we need to add coolant pretty often when weather is hot.

Also, this will not be a worldwide recall, dealership in Taiwan had to manufacture tubing and parts to fix lost of coolant because we filed consumer dispute.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:02:46 AM by Wilson »

Offline S1rdek

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1r
  • City / Town: Northeast
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 12:15:27 PM »
Now you've spoilt the fun :002:
I thought it was an April Fools prank  :016:

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 12:42:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Wilson [+]
Hello Guys, I'm here to clarified what's going on. Coolant lost and engine stall happening on Taiwan S1000R are two separate problems. if you look at RR's reservoir and compare with R, you will understand why we are loosing coolant. On RR its got a tube running down to prevent evaporation of coolant, where as on the R, we just got a 3mm hole. number of owner including me we added a silicon tube that runs down and beside the reservoir to prevent lost of coolant too quickly. Before we need to add coolant pretty often when weather is hot.

Also, this will not be a worldwide recall, dealership in Taiwan had to manufacture tubing and parts to fix lost of coolant because we filed consumer dispute.

Can you post photos of the modified tank with the attached tube? Thanks

Offline JonM

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: Charleston, SC
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 12:51:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Wilson [+]

Can you post any pictures of your home made fix?

I see in the parts diagrams you are right.
RR has part number 5 for overflow and part 2 for in-flow:

R does not have part 5 and part 2 is for in-flow:

Offline IMFA

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Stockholm
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 01:33:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by JonM [+]

R does not have part 5 and part 2 is for in-flow:

Part 2 is for in and outflow. It can suck and spit coolant into the resovoir. Our system is not closed.

Offline JonM

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: Charleston, SC
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 03:47:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by IMFA [+]
Part 2 is for in and outflow. It can suck and spit coolant into the resovoir. Our system is not closed.

I understand and agree.  However, what I am reading from Wilson's post is people are adding a tube like #5 in the first diagram for OVERFLOW instead of just the nipple on our tank.  Maybe that tube is reducing the amount of evaporation we are seeing.

Offline IMFA

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Stockholm
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 03:55:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by JonM [+]
I understand and agree.  However, what I am reading from Wilson's post is people are adding a tube like #5 in the first diagram for OVERFLOW instead of just the nipple on our tank.  Maybe that tube is reducing the amount of evaporation we are seeing.

The RR-system is a closed system and therefor has 2 tubes. R is an open system and therefor have one tube and a special valve that regulates the overflow. If you add a tube it has to Go somewhere. If it goes somewhere you change the system to a closed one with the special valve that should not be there.

Our system needs to be open with the valve and be able to "breathe" when it needs to but it cant be as open as now as it Will evaporate. I think this could be solved using a long tube that is shaped like an upsidedown "U" to trap the evaporation. Is this what they are doing?

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor