Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: LED Headlights  (Read 7751 times)

Offline Pavey

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: St Albans
Re: LED Headlights
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2019, 04:14:33 PM »
Mine is a UK bike so don't have the low beam off issue. Do you know which way round the polarity is on the right angled plug that comes from the bike?

Thanks.

Offline boxerkuh

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R;K75;R100R
  • City / Town: Carolina's
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2019, 04:21:29 PM »
Before I did the separate wiring, I plugged my original wiring in and turned the bike on to see if it was working - and it was. I would think the stock plug only goes on one way.

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2019, 04:48:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Pavey [+]
I'm just about to fit an led bulb in the place of my (blown again) HID. Am i right thinking i have to be aware of the polarity with a n led, as the new bulbs has a visible marking on the + terminal, so which one is that on the plug that comes form the bike (provides power)?

I think the brown wire is ground on the OEM plug an yellow is +ve. Just plug it in, if it oesn't work, switch the polarity.

Interesting you hae had issues with HID burners, I have had some in for at least 5 years(maybe 10) that still work, an ave been transferred between bikes. Got most of mine from Les at HID50.

Online windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2019, 07:06:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Pavey [+]
Mine is a UK bike so don't have the low beam off issue. Do you know which way round the polarity is on the right angled plug that comes from the bike?

Thanks.

I'm sure this has been covered before ... but what exactly is the difference between the wiring on UK bikes and US bikes? Can a direct swap be done? Seems like it should be straight forward and wouldn't void a warranty since its on bikes every but in the US.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 07:07:25 PM by windyrun »

Offline boxerkuh

• S1000R Member
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2019, 07:54:29 PM »
The only difference that I am aware off is that in the US the low beam will go off after a second once the high beam is activated. In the rest of the world the low beam will stay on when the high beam is activated. My research has shown that the best way to deal with the canbus system is to a PDM 60, which allows you to wire extra accessories without interfering with the canbus system. Although expensive, it is a clean installation. I am currently have a heated gear/battery charger directly wired to the battery without any other issues. The two accessories that I have running through the PDM 60 is my driving lights and the low beam, which stays on all the time as long as the bike is running. It does not interfere with the stock wiring, does not interfere with the canbus system. I also disconnected the running light in the high beam only (only removed the bulb) so that it does not interfere with the LED high beam (it is little bit in the way) and my dash does not give me a fault, nor did I have to plug it into a 911 to remove a fault.

The difference between the stock halogen light bulbs and the LED are NIGHT and DAY. Pictures don't do it justice.

Online windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2019, 08:37:04 PM »
^
If I understand correctly (iiuc), you have the heated gear connected directly to the battery terminal AND the PDM60 connected directly to the battery terminal?

I am looking for better nightime road illumination without rewiring anything so as to preserve warranty (I also am not confident in my wiring/electronic skills lol). Adding LED running lights would do the trick ... iiuc I would connect them to the PDM correct?

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 08:38:54 PM by windyrun »

Offline Pavey

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: St Albans
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 07:36:59 AM »
@SimonUK

Thanks, i was concerned i would blow the led if it was plugged in the wrong way. It just didn't come on so i switched it round and all works well.

Offline boxerkuh

• S1000R Member
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 01:00:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by windyrun [+]
^
If I understand correctly (iiuc), you have the heated gear connected directly to the battery terminal AND the PDM60 connected directly to the battery terminal?

I am looking for better nightime road illumination without rewiring anything so as to preserve warranty (I also am not confident in my wiring/electronic skills lol). Adding LED running lights would do the trick ... iiuc I would connect them to the PDM correct?

Yes that is correct on all accounts.

Recent Posts/Topics