Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: LED Headlights  (Read 7863 times)

Offline tsunami

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Dubai
Re: LED Headlights
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 06:17:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by empty_infinity [+]
How do these bulbs fit in the enclosures?  I know its typically not an issue for the high beam, but low beam sometimes don't fit.

for the 9005 high beam its the same as the original as you have to turn it to lock in place as original bulb

for the H7 I have the HID so I just cut the back part of the original housing cover to the size of the HID rubber cover that is attached to the HID and sealed it with silicone to seal it from the elements its now water and dust proof as original. the only down side of the HID is the cables and ballast where you have to hide it in the side fenders. :047:

Offline empty_infinity

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 07:03:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by tsunami [+]
for the 9005 high beam its the same as the original as you have to turn it to lock in place as original bulb

for the H7 I have the HID so I just cut the back part of the original housing cover to the size of the HID rubber cover that is attached to the HID and sealed it with silicone to seal it from the elements its now water and dust proof as original. the only down side of the HID is the cables and ballast where you have to hide it in the side fenders. :047:

Can you post up some pictures of how you hid the HID ballasts?  Just curious since I'm considering that mod to my bike

Offline miles

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: A red one
  • City / Town: San Diego, CA
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 01:20:08 AM »
I just tucked the ballast in behind the side fairing. Nothing fancy or exotic in the mounting.
Just keep your head held high
Kiss your fist and touch the sky

Offline empty_infinity

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 05:54:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by tsunami [+]

So just to clarify, I'd be able to fit the H7 LED into the housing and seal it all up with the un-modified dust cover?  I'm wondering if the mods you made to the dust cover to fit the HID allowed for the LED bulb to fit (even though you sealed it up)

And how did you manage all that extra hardware?  Were you able to get the heatsink cloth + the extra wiring and adapter box into the housing?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 06:09:08 PM by empty_infinity »

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 06:19:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by empty_infinity [+]
So just to clarify, I'd be able to fit the H7 LED into the housing and seal it all up with the un-modified dust cover?  I'm wondering if the mods you made to the dust cover to fit the HID allowed for the LED bulb to fit (even though you sealed it up)

I do not believe that this is a true statement. For a start he is fitting a HID and drilling a 3/4inch hole that the cables go through to the ballast and ignitor. From what I have read and understand LEDs generally have either cooling fins or cooling fans on the back which make the bulbs larger and bulkier than the HID bulb, so I can see no way that you will be able to 'fit the H7 LED into the housing and seal it all up with the un-modified dust cover' . Miles has a thread on fitting a LED to the low beam (with photos).

Offline empty_infinity

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 06:31:02 PM »
Oh my mistake, I didn't realize he was referring to HIDs in the low beam housing.   :430:   :431:

Offline m4tic

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2015 BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: California, USA
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 07:04:40 AM »
What about these new LED bulbs with the copper mesh you can spread around; instead of the fat tail with a heatsink/fan? Would these fit in the H7 housing?

Offline tsunami

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: Dubai
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 07:48:07 AM »
You will have remove the dust cover either ways and I think you can cut it so it will fit the mesh wires through it and spread them.

Offline Pavey

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: St Albans
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 03:11:47 PM »
I'm just about to fit an led bulb in the place of my (blown again) HID. Am i right thinking i have to be aware of the polarity with a n led, as the new bulbs has a visible marking on the + terminal, so which one is that on the plug that comes form the bike (provides power)?

Thanks.

Offline boxerkuh

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R;K75;R100R
  • City / Town: Carolina's
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 04:04:36 PM »
I have wired both LED's in the low beam and the high beam. The low beam I directly wired to my PDM 60 so that the low beam will stay on all the time. In addition, I have read and saw a lot of people cutting a hole into the low beam dust cover. I just left the dust cover off, as the LED's are waterproof, dust proof, etc and I verified that with the manufacturer.

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor