Author What's with the two OA canbus connectors?  (Read 41811 times)

• Offline Tuppa   gb

• S1000R Member  ‐    42

Offline Tuppa

• S1000R Member
    • Bike: S1000R Sport
    Re: What's with the two OA canbus connectors?
    Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 11:31:53 am
    May 12, 2015, 11:31:53 am
    Many thanks for your responses.  My technical abilities are very limited and so simply plugging the NN USB adapter into the connector under the left hand fairing sounds good to me.  I will just need to check that the USB outlet will work with the firewire to my iphone as I think there are problems with some of the earlier USBs.  Much appreciated.

• Offline SkidMark   gb

• S1000R Member  ‐    18
    • Topic Author

Offline SkidMark

• S1000R Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: A Red 'Un
    Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 12:11:24 pm
    May 12, 2015, 12:11:24 pm
    These are the dudes who supply the NN stuff, and they don't seem to have any iphone connectors in the range:
    http://www.poweroo.co.za/t/canbus/#.VVHb6PlVhBc

You could buy the USB Female version and then plug your current iphone cable into that, though the waterproofing wouldn't be as good as a dedicated cable. The box is a 5W/1A charger which is OK for an iphone but not an ipad...

• Offline Tuppa   gb

• S1000R Member  ‐    42

Offline Tuppa

• S1000R Member
    Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 01:25:53 pm
    May 12, 2015, 01:25:53 pm
    *Originally Posted by SkidMark [+]
    These are the dudes who supply the NN stuff, and they don't seem to have any iphone connectors in the range:
    http://www.poweroo.co.za/t/canbus/#.VVHb6PlVhBc

You could buy the USB Female version and then plug your current iphone cable into that, though the waterproofing wouldn't be as good as a dedicated cable. The box is a 5W/1A charger which is OK for an iphone but not an ipad...
    Thanks SkidMark,  NN tell me it will work so I have the female USB on order. Will leave update once up and running.

• Offline Tuppa   gb

• S1000R Member  ‐    42

Offline Tuppa

• S1000R Member
    Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 11:29:53 am
    May 17, 2015, 11:29:53 am
    So here is my update .... spent most of Friday night removing panels and found neatest solution for fitting the device was to strap the electronic box to the frame next to left hand BMW connector under left hand fairing, and then feed the USB lead up through the frame and into the area under the tank cover.   All was looking great until I tried to replace the left hand fairing.  It would just fit over the box but wanted to squeeze the two leads (into and out of the box) tight against the frame. I could have cut a groove in the edge of the fairing in order to sit it over the leads but didn't want to do that so removed all of my evening's work and replaced the panels in time for a trip to my dealer, first thing on Saturday for a recall work.  A very helpful technician offered to fit the device for me and within half an hour it was done and dusted.  Lead from left hand connector to box sited very neatly under the tank cover and then USB outlet strapped to frame near front of tank. All working on the can-bus supply.  No more DIY for me - I am going to leave it to the experts and just ride in future.

• Offline miles   us

• S1000R Grand Master  ‐    2304

Offline miles

• S1000R Grand Master
    • Bike: A baby blue one
    • City / Town: San Diego, CA
    Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 02:31:26 pm
    May 17, 2015, 02:31:26 pm
    *Originally Posted by Tuppa [+]
    No more DIY for me - I am going to leave it to the experts and just ride in future.

An old boss of mine used to say that comfort and convenience are well worth spending money on.

• Offline crowep   sg

• S1000R Member  ‐    17

Offline crowep

• S1000R Member
    Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 07:16:29 am
    May 20, 2015, 07:16:29 am
    Hi,

I've been trawling the forum on anything related to wiring up a Tomtom Rider 40 to the canbus plugs on my S1000R. I picked up a canbus plug from motorworks (their part no ELA13585) when I was in the UK recently and soldered it to my Tomtom wiring as per the instructions above. I removed the left panel only to find that the plug that fits my canbus has been taken up by an electronic tag unit we use in Singapore so I'm now stuck! The only other spare plug doesn't fit the canbus connector I've purchased. I've taken off the right hand panel but there's no canbus socket to be seen. I called BMW and they said there's only one on the bikes in Singapore and they use some sort of splitter to power the electronic tag & a GPS -I'm still waiting to hear what they suggest I do.

Any suggestions in the mean time appreciated.

Cheers,
    Paul

• Offline crowep   sg

• S1000R Member  ‐    17

Offline crowep

• S1000R Member
    Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 08:01:04 am
    May 20, 2015, 08:01:04 am
    Update just now from BMW Singapore: when they install the Nav 5 plus the local electronic tag system (IU) they basically use the single canbus connector and split it into both the Nav 5 & IU. They obviously won't do it for me because the Tomtom is not supported but where they supply the Nav 5 this is apparently what they do.

Any reasons why I shouldn't just strip back the wire on the ground & live wires that are powering my IU and solder them to the corresponding wires for my Tomtom? I assume the IU uses so little power it won't exceed the maximum allowed. The IU is used to pay tolls electronically around the inner CBD area as well as fees for parking (clocks you in and out of the carpark and charges accordingly).

Cheers,
    Paul

• Offline crowep   sg

• S1000R Member  ‐    17

Offline crowep

• S1000R Member
    Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 10:26:05 am
    May 20, 2015, 10:26:05 am
    Further update, I've done as BMW suggested and all working fine.

• Offline beech   us

• S1000R Master  ‐    806

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
    • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $50
    • Bike: S1000R, K1300Sx2
    • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
    Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 02:34:16 am
    May 29, 2015, 02:34:16 am
    Just to hijack this a little, I have a NAV 5 unit. The factory cradle  has two connectors one a typical GPS three pin and a second connector a 2 pin. I have not pulled the plastic yet to explore but has anyone installed a factory cradle and have some connector location details to share? thanks.

• Offline BillB   us

• S1000R Grand Master  ‐    2461

Offline BillB

• S1000R Grand Master
    • Bike: White '15 S1000R
    • City / Town: Cary, NC
    Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 10:02:02 am
    May 29, 2015, 10:02:02 am
    Will this help?