Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Assistance needed regarding BMW Pre-Delivery & Running-in checks  (Read 7220 times)

Offline as9227358

• Ex Member
  • S1000R Member
Re: Assistance needed regarding BMW Pre-Delivery & Running-in checks
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 06:06:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by skapan [+]
Maybe it's just the shift light set at 9K?

It's not the shift light. There is an actual hard limit of 9K.

Offline as9227358

• Ex Member
  • S1000R Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 06:18:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by AndyE [+]
*Originally Posted by skapan [+]
Maybe it's just the shift light set at 9K?

2015 bikes (or at least my 2015 bike) does have a limiter at 9K, also I've no recollection of a service light ever coming on for a running in service on any of my BMWs (this R is the 5th), and the service is recommended to take place within a bracket, rather than at a set mileage.

I'd be annoyed at the dealer for the way they've dealt with the breakdown, but I'm not sure the cause of it is as indicative of negligence as you'd like it to be. It may be the switch operation was checked, but the connector not inspected and it's just come apart with use. I'm not saying the dealer is innocent of all wrongdoing but how detailed an inspection do you think a PDI should be? Is it reasonable to check every connector? I'd rather my bike was not disassembled and reassembled after it arrived as I think that would likely cause more problems than it solves.

Not sure I'd be calling it negligence but I don't think they are doing all the work that BMW Motorrad says is to be done at the pre-delivery and running-in. Of the running-in I'm sure as I have proof. I think all the service and maintenance should follow BMW's set schedule. It's there for a reason.

Offline as9227358

• Ex Member
  • S1000R Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 06:23:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by BillB [+]
:0461:

I thought we had enough of a straw poll here over the past few months to conclude that the 2015s do indeed have a rev limit.

Also agree about the dealership, rather sorry of them not to at least send someone to retrieve the bike.

Thanks for the support, much appreciated.

Offline AndyE

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R/R1200GSA
  • City / Town: York
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 06:33:24 PM »
As a general point I don't think dealers are kept all that well informed by BMW (either BMW Germany or the local importer) about minor changes between production years - the hard limiter being a good example - I was told when I ordered the bike that unlike the RR there was no hard limiter in place. Likewise on there being a 600 mile service indicator, it could be something that is in place on some models but not all. I don't expect my dealer to know everything there is to know about the bike - that's why I come here  :008:

However one thing is certain if I wasn't confident about the dealer's ability to support the product when something is wrong  - whether it being following a manufacturer's checklist or retrieving a broken down bike - then I'd be going elsewhere.

Offline as9227358

• Ex Member
  • S1000R Member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 06:54:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by AndyE [+]
As a general point I don't think dealers are kept all that well informed by BMW (either BMW Germany or the local importer) about minor changes between production years - the hard limiter being a good example - I was told when I ordered the bike that unlike the RR there was no hard limiter in place. Likewise on there being a 600 mile service indicator, it could be something that is in place on some models but not all. I don't expect my dealer to know everything there is to know about the bike - that's why I come here  :008:

However one thing is certain if I wasn't confident about the dealer's ability to support the product when something is wrong  - whether it being following a manufacturer's checklist or retrieving a broken down bike - then I'd be going elsewhere.

I think it's just ignorance, laziness, lack of attention to detail, call it what you will on the part of the dealers. For the most part BMW gives them everything they need, whether they choose to use that is a different story.

As far as the 9K limiter, there was a bulletin released after some engine malfunctions regarding the limit being put in place and even how to remove it at the running-in. If I had access to a BMW Motorrad diagnostic system I could even remove it myself.

Perhaps it's not realistic to expect the dealer to know everything but at the very least know more and follow all the items on the maintenance schedule for the products they are selling and supposedly supporting.

I will be going elsewhere once these issues are resolved.

Offline JUtah

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2015 S1000r, Red
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 10:34:55 PM »
9k Hard Rev Limiter on my Red - US - 2015... and as far as dealers go, that is my only rub with respect to the BMW... The first service with them is mandatory to ditch the 9k rev limit. It also appears if you want the service minder to work correctly you have to either take it to them or spend $500ish bucks for a tool you can plug into the ECU... Just to get the Service reminder to work correctly...  :155:

I by far prefer to do my own maintenance, and always have... I know I didn't cut corners, and know exactly what was done and how well... If something is screwed up, its on me....

Love the bike though... very, very much, so guess I have to take the good with the bad.  :001:
Semper-Fi

Offline JohnnyBMWgood

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 08:22:10 AM »
I think the dealer can not refuse to help you, even when you do your own maintenance.
They might charge you with a labor fee and put the blame on your side with warranty issues but a good dealer will help you remove the rev limiter/service warning etc.
They still made a lot of money with selling you the bike remember!
Good thing to talk this through while or after making the deal.

As an extra here what the dealer should do before bike is given to you, this comes from Original BMW service manual.

Unpacking the bike:
Charge battery, mount motor spoilers, aeration hoses and mirrors.

Before delivery:
Check: toolbox/manual/tyre pressure, chain slack, lights and fill the gas tank
Safety: sidestand start prevention check, end check and testride.
Fill out documentation and explain specifics to you.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 08:37:22 AM by JohnnyBMWgood »

Offline as9227358

• Ex Member
  • S1000R Member
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 08:09:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by JUtah [+]
9k Hard Rev Limiter on my Red - US - 2015... and as far as dealers go, that is my only rub with respect to the BMW... The first service with them is mandatory to ditch the 9k rev limit. It also appears if you want the service minder to work correctly you have to either take it to them or spend $500ish bucks for a tool you can plug into the ECU... Just to get the Service reminder to work correctly...  :155:

I by far prefer to do my own maintenance, and always have... I know I didn't cut corners, and know exactly what was done and how well... If something is screwed up, its on me....

Love the bike though... very, very much, so guess I have to take the good with the bad.  :001:

I wish I could do all the service myself but unfortunately that's not an option.

This is the best motorcycle I have ever had the pleasure of swinging my leg over.

Offline as9227358

• Ex Member
  • S1000R Member
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 08:16:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by JohnnyBMWgood [+]
I think the dealer can not refuse to help you, even when you do your own maintenance.
They might charge you with a labor fee and put the blame on your side with warranty issues but a good dealer will help you remove the rev limiter/service warning etc.
They still made a lot of money with selling you the bike remember!
Good thing to talk this through while or after making the deal.

As an extra here what the dealer should do before bike is given to you, this comes from Original BMW service manual.

Unpacking the bike:
Charge battery, mount motor spoilers, aeration hoses and mirrors.

Before delivery:
Check: toolbox/manual/tyre pressure, chain slack, lights and fill the gas tank
Safety: sidestand start prevention check, end check and testride.
Fill out documentation and explain specifics to you.

Thanks for the info.

Offline Nash04

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 15 S1000R
  • City / Town: Morrisville,NC
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2015, 12:41:15 PM »
When I picked up my bike on October, the dealer did informed me about the 9k limiter and they would take it off after the first service at 600 which they did and also do have my service light come on during pre-check after I turn the key on.
S1KR
Yoshimura Fender Eliminator
R&G Sliders
LighTech Chain Adjuster, Sato Racing Hook
MRA Touring Shield, Evo Tech Rad/Oil Guard

Recent Posts/Topics