Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Advice on Triumph Explorer vs Multistrada vs GS vs KTM  (Read 12624 times)

Offline Beamish

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000r
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Re: Advice on Triumph Explorer vs Multistrada vs GS vs KTM
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 04:44:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by TheRat [+]
The Multistrada would definitely be my choice out of those bikes. A frend of mine commutes in all weathers on his on salty UK roads and no finish or reliability issues.  Modern Ducatis are at least as reliable and well finished as modern BMW.

Fair comment, as i have said the Multi is a cracking bike and I have not yet discounted buying one, i will do a round robin of tests later this year. 
Red S1000R Sport

Offline MarkyRR

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 05:11:52 PM »
Hello folks.  I've currently got a 2014 Multistrada Pikes Peak.  It's got 2500 miles on it & next week (ish) it's being chopped in for a new S1000R.

It's been back to the dealer 3 times, and it needs to now go again.  I've ridden through Winter & the actual handling etc is good.  My current problem is that it objects to getting wet!  Once soaked, it coughs & splutters like an old man on 40 a day. The front coil plug allows water to seep in, causing issues.  This is one of a few current problems, but the one that's broken the horse's back!  I don't need to use it between now & p/x'ing, so I really can't be bothered any more spending the time taking it back to the dealer yet again.  Also, if they need to keep it longer than a day, they will NOT lend a bike, as they claim they're not insured overnight!

The previous 'returns' were for oil leaks.  The 2nd time requiring head removal to replace the gasket. There's now mayonnaise in the oil filler cap & condensation in the oil sight glass window.  I think it may have been built on a Friday afternoon!

To say I was disappointed is an understatement!  I'd toyed with a Multi for a couple of years (after owning a couple of GS's, an S1000RR & an K1300S) before going for it.  I've owned many Ducati's in the past, and this has been the worst.

The silver lining is that I tested the 'R' and immediately knew it was perfect for me :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 05:14:12 PM by MarkyRR »

Offline BlueS1KR

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2014 Blue S1000R
  • City / Town: Redmond, WA
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 04:53:20 AM »
I have a 2013 Multistrada that I ride every month of the year and have never had a problem with it.  Great power, handling, and performance.
Bob

Offline Troppo

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 06:09:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by MarkyRR [+]

The previous 'returns' were for oil leaks.  The 2nd time requiring head removal to replace the gasket. There's now mayonnaise in the oil filler cap & condensation in the oil sight glass window.  I think it may have been built on a Friday afternoon!

To say I was disappointed is an understatement!  I'd toyed with a Multi for a couple of years (after owning a couple of GS's, an S1000RR & an K1300S) before going for it.  I've owned many Ducati's in the past, and this has been the worst.

The silver lining is that I tested the 'R' and immediately knew it was perfect for me :)

A Friday bike, for sure...

:012:

Offline Lowrance

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1KR
  • City / Town: So Cal
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 02:48:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Beamish [+]
*Originally Posted by GUV [+]
One of my mate's had a 2013 KTM 1190 ADV, it had a lot of issues but none of them ever left him stranded, he still managed to clock up 10,000 km over 18 months.When he last took it back for an issue he told the dealer even if they fix it he didn't want the bike back, after a bit of back and forward discussions over a few weeks (no screaming or theatning) with the dealer he received a call from the Aussie KTM importer announcing that they had a 2014 bike he could have as a replacement, the bike was shipped to the dealer, his accessories were transferred to the new bike, it was then given 12 months rego and he road off grinning. So far the new bike is performing faultlessly.
Now thats excellent customer support.

Wow that is good customer support.

May be good customer support after the fact but shows the product was under developed from the word go (one of the reasons I bought the S1KR in lieu of the SD1290).

KTM are rushing their product to market before the development cycle has been adequately completed and are unfortunately, relying on their customer base to finish the job for them. completely unacceptable at the price point they are selling their wares at.

IMHO of course.
Why is common sense so uncommon?

Offline fredaroony

• Ex Member
  • S1000R Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 07:21:17 PM »
None of them in my opinion, I think the S1000XR will be the bike to have this year in the Adventure bike market.

Offline octatonic

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1kr, R1200RT
  • City / Town: Cotswolds.
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2015, 09:47:47 PM »
Was in a similar position- I wanted a second bike for touring and winter riding in addition to the S1kr.
I rode the Explorer 1200 but I didn't like the gearbox or the extra weight- it is fine once you are moving but it isn't a bike to commute on.

I rode the KTM 1190- great bike but it was too much money for a second bike- same problem with the GS and Multistrada.
Out of all of them them Multistrada was most fun but it doesn't really go off-road.

I ended up going for the Tiger XCX.
It has more than enough power for touring and is a fun bike, I can hit it hard in the twisties and I can ride it all day in comfort and I can take it up fire trails and through fords without worrying.
I simply wouldn't want to do that with a 16k Ducati.
It has everything I wanted- cruise control, rider modes, heated grips, luggage options, comfort, enough power without it being crazy (have my S1kr for that).
Really happy with my choice and it was 6k less than the Multistrada.

Offline Troppo

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2015, 11:13:47 PM »
Yes, the new little tiger looks good.

Offline Fatfingers73

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000RS
  • City / Town: North Weald
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 10:52:30 AM »
Hoping to get my new Multistrada DVT next weekend.

Can't wait  :305:

Offline OKBMW

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2016 R1200RS
  • City / Town: Edmond, OK
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2015, 02:46:22 AM »
I recently sold a 2013 Multistrada GT because of reliability issues. For the little time I owned it and with as few miles as I put on her she was had too many warranty issues and recalls compared to many other bikes I've owned in the past. Was an absolute hoot to ride and traveled well, but I would say not nearly as good as the GS in inclement weather.

I've owned multiple Japanese bikes and all have been rock solid reliable and a several of Triumphs with no issues. The S1R is my first German bike and I'm hoping that their technology is more reliable then the tech the Italians are using.
1984 Magna 1100, 2006 KDX200, 2014 ZX-6R (track bike), 2016 R1200RS

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor