Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Advice on Triumph Explorer vs Multistrada vs GS vs KTM  (Read 12622 times)

Offline Captain Vimes

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1Kr Sport, Red
  • City / Town: South England
Re: Advice on Triumph Explorer vs Multistrada vs GS vs KTM
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 12:02:32 AM »
My KTM 950 supermoto was used in all weathers and the finish on paintwork, forks, engine casing etc was absolutely perfect. No corrosion at all.

BUT it did let me down on a number of occasions with fuel pump failure, leaking petrol tank, cracked exhaust downpipe, wheel bearing failure at 12k miles, engine cutting out and a few other issues.
It was my favourite bike to date but the s1k is obviously better...

Offline Beamish

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000r
  • City / Town: Lincoln
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 12:09:50 AM »
Thanks Captain, must admit I like the KTM's but my nearest dealer is a fair trek away so problems would be an arse to sort out if they were to occur. 
Red S1000R Sport

Offline GUV

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 02:57:25 AM »
One of my mate's had a 2013 KTM 1190 ADV, it had a lot of issues but none of them ever left him stranded, he still managed to clock up 10,000 km over 18 months.When he last took it back for an issue he told the dealer even if they fix it he didn't want the bike back, after a bit of back and forward discussions over a few weeks (no screaming or theatning) with the dealer he received a call from the Aussie KTM importer announcing that they had a 2014 bike he could have as a replacement, the bike was shipped to the dealer, his accessories were transferred to the new bike, it was then given 12 months rego and he road off grinning. So far the new bike is performing faultlessly.
Now thats excellent customer support.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 03:00:37 AM by GUV »

Offline damodici

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 07:27:25 AM »
Can't comment on the GS or Triumph but if it's that style of bike you want then I can't speak highly enough for the Multistrada.

I've currently got one and love it, it's quite heavily modified but goes like stink and imo looks miles better than the others.

I've ridden it in all manner of weather and not had any issues personally, ok I've changed out all the bolts because it's a well known fact Italians like to use cheese for their fixtures, also I haven't ridden through this winter but frankly I'm not a fan of frost bite.

Some people have had issues I must agree but it can happen with any bike, all we can do as owners is keep them in good condition and hope an electrical gremlin doesn't appear.

Here's mine, soon to be my mates as I need to combine bikes and unfortunately the multistrada has to go to fund the next one, otherwise I'd keep it.

Offline Beamish

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 04:24:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by GUV [+]
One of my mate's had a 2013 KTM 1190 ADV, it had a lot of issues but none of them ever left him stranded, he still managed to clock up 10,000 km over 18 months.When he last took it back for an issue he told the dealer even if they fix it he didn't want the bike back, after a bit of back and forward discussions over a few weeks (no screaming or theatning) with the dealer he received a call from the Aussie KTM importer announcing that they had a 2014 bike he could have as a replacement, the bike was shipped to the dealer, his accessories were transferred to the new bike, it was then given 12 months rego and he road off grinning. So far the new bike is performing faultlessly.
Now thats excellent customer support.

Wow that is good customer support.
Red S1000R Sport

Offline Beamish

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 04:28:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by damodici [+]
Can't comment on the GS or Triumph but if it's that style of bike you want then I can't speak highly enough for the Multistrada.

I've currently got one and love it, it's quite heavily modified but goes like stink and imo looks miles better than the others.

I've ridden it in all manner of weather and not had any issues personally, ok I've changed out all the bolts because it's a well known fact Italians like to use cheese for their fixtures, also I haven't ridden through this winter but frankly I'm not a fan of frost bite.

Some people have had issues I must agree but it can happen with any bike, all we can do as owners is keep them in good condition and hope an electrical gremlin doesn't appear.

Here's mine, soon to be my mates as I need to combine bikes and unfortunately the multistrada has to go to fund the next one, otherwise I'd keep it.

I loved the multi on the test ride but winter riding is my prime reason for buying this type of bike, unless I move from the UK, 4 months of our year are blighted with dodgy cold weather so the bike I buy has to be up to it. The GS adv shields the rider so well from the elements that its still a pleasure to ride in winter. It looks like it might be another GS that finds its way into my garage. 
Red S1000R Sport

Offline damodici

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 07:20:18 PM »
To be fair you're on the money.

IF I was commuting and / or travelling lots of miles in all weather throughout the year then a GS is probably the most bomb proof you'll get.

Offline Troppo

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 11:19:50 PM »
Hello there,

I owned an Explorer, and did lots of time on it, including a 3000km cross country trip.

It was a good bike, the engine went well and was very smooth.

However, the problem was the engine is quite tall, and is mounted relatively high in the frame, so the bike was top heavy at low speed. 

The wind management needed some sorting out, but was good once fixed.

The CC button is mounted on the RH switch block, which was a pain.

As others have said, the support was very good.

However, I made the mistake of test riding a GSLC for the hell of it.....   :164:

I bought one. 

Much better bike - handles and stops superbly.  Quality of finish is in a different league to the Explorer.  Low C of G with that big boxer makes low speed handling a doddle. The LC boxer gets up and goes when needed, especially in dynamic mode.

I have just returned from a 1500 km trip.  Wonderful.

The mothership sold 25000 GS last year - I can see why....

:002:

Offline Beamish

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 06:24:45 PM »
Thanks Troppo, its as I suspected, Triumph put out a great bike but the GS seems to be the better all round package. I will wait till towards the end of this years UK summer and take a look then. I dont think the S1000XR will be a whole lot better than the R when it comes to winter riding but I will try one just the same.
Red S1000R Sport

Offline TheRat

• S1000R Member
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 10:27:19 PM »
The Multistrada would definitely be my choice out of those bikes. A frend of mine commutes in all weathers on his on salty UK roads and no finish or reliability issues.  Modern Ducatis are at least as reliable and well finished as modern BMW.

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor