Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Advice on Triumph Explorer vs Multistrada vs GS vs KTM  (Read 12623 times)

Offline Beamish

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000r
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Advice on Triumph Explorer vs Multistrada vs GS vs KTM
« on: January 25, 2015, 04:25:24 PM »
I have noticed on one of the other posts that pretty much all the bikes mentioned in the title are sat in some of your garages, so who better to ask for opinions. I have owned two GS's in the past a 2011 GS and a 2012 GS adv so I know this bike pretty well, I have also ridden the wc version of the new GS, I have taken a multistrada out and it did impress me. This winter it really hit home that I don't have a bike I can ride all year and I am missing out on the traffic free roads that winter allows, I didn't hesitate to pull the GS out in all but the worst weather as it gave so much confidence/weather protection in the wet. So my questions are these:

1. The Triumph, KTM, Multi, are these bikes as good in the bad weather as a GS

2.  Have you had any grief whilst owning them (as in breakdowns)

3. I know about BMW but what are Triumph/KTM/Ducati like at resolving issues. 

Would you buy the Triumph/KTM/Ducati over a new/nearly new WC GS???
Red S1000R Sport

Offline Alzo

• Ex Member
  • S1000R Master
Re: Advice on Triumph Explorer vs Multistrada vs GS vs KTM
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 05:00:01 PM »
I have owned 4 Triumphs...manufacturer and Dealer back have always been spot on. A few friends love their Ducatis...but state clearly they don't like winter...no feedback on KTM.

Offline Beamish

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 06:00:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Alzo [+]
I have owned 4 Triumphs...manufacturer and Dealer back have always been spot on. A few friends love their Ducatis...but state clearly they don't like winter...no feedback on KTM.

Thanks Alzo, as usual a quick flick on the Explorer forum shows the usual internet dramas with a cylinder head prob, ecu, side stand, cruise control not cutting out on demand but ive learnt not to go with forum chat but to ask owners instead.  I feared the Multi may not like the salt and moisture much but a fun bike all the same. Thing is some GS owners will say their bikes aren't dealing with winter too well either but I had no bothers with my GS's.   
Red S1000R Sport

Offline Alzo

• Ex Member
  • S1000R Master
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 06:27:12 PM »
Triumph faced all those issues head on...they contacted me direct about recalls...gave me a courtesy bike...resolved the issues...end of.
Previous issues with the likes of Kawasaki seen a year of emails and Trading Standards...I just hope BMW are half as attentive.

Offline mac900

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Honolulu
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 07:21:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Beamish [+]
I have noticed on one of the other posts that pretty much all the bikes mentioned in the title are sat in some of your garages, so who better to ask for opinions. I have owned two GS's in the past a 2011 GS and a 2012 GS adv so I know this bike pretty well, I have also ridden the wc version of the new GS, I have taken a multistrada out and it did impress me. This winter it really hit home that I don't have a bike I can ride all year and I am missing out on the traffic free roads that winter allows, I didn't hesitate to pull the GS out in all but the worst weather as it gave so much confidence/weather protection in the wet. So my questions are these:

1. The Triumph, KTM, Multi, are these bikes as good in the bad weather as a GS

2.  Have you had any grief whilst owning them (as in breakdowns)

3. I know about BMW but what are Triumph/KTM/Ducati like at resolving issues. 

Would you buy the Triumph/KTM/Ducati over a new/nearly new WC GS???

Are you asking just to be asking? 'cause that's OK if you are.  It would seem to me that if you liked the GS for lousy weather riding then it would be a spot on bike to use for that purpose.  I can't speak for Triumph or KTM but I'd sure trust the BMW more than the Ducati in steady poor weather.
No modification goes unpunished. ---- Good people drink good beer. ----  It's all up to your skill level, your thrill level and your will level. Everything else is just fluff. ---- Memento mori.

Offline Beamish

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 07:45:35 PM »
The reason I ask is that I have owned GS's before and as a rule I like to try out models or marques that I havent previously owned. If i had stuck with Yamaha (my first bike then I would have never discovered the gem that is a K6 GSXR1000, then if i would have stayed with suzuki I would have never owned the Honda SP2 or the Ducati 848Evo. There is a chance that people on here have also owned a GS and swapped to an Explorer or the KTM adventure and found the bikes to be better. A test ride can be misleading sometimes and living with the bike is altogether different. I always try and ride a test bike  for at least a couple of hours on roads I know so I can understand the bike a bit better. If someone asked me if they should buy a GS my recommendation would be yes but if they said which is the best adventure styled bike I wouldn't know hence the question.
Red S1000R Sport

Offline RichS1000R

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • City / Town: Surrey
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 09:10:49 PM »
I've ridden the others, but not owned them. I currently have a 2015 GSA, and have been riding it through the winter. It really is a cracking bit of kit, and IMO I don't think the others can touch it, as an all round package.

Offline Beamish

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 09:29:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by RichS1000R [+]
I've ridden the others, but not owned them. I currently have a 2015 GSA, and have been riding it through the winter. It really is a cracking bit of kit, and IMO I don't think the others can touch it, as an all round package.

Thanks Rich, ive taken the new WC GS out and I really liked it, was kind of hoping an Explorer owner might pipe up as they seem to be a bit of a bargain at the mo second hand They are fully loaded with kit a similar power output to the GS and the triple lump should sound lovely. Ill arrange for a test ride on both when I am next home and decide for myself. Also notice KTM 1190 adv are a cracking deal...spose they are shifting old stock before the 1200 model takes over. 
Red S1000R Sport

Offline S1000R

• Forum Help & Support
  • S1000R Pro
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 09:41:06 PM »
Topic is not S1000R related so moved to "Bikers Chat" section.

Please note that topics the "S1000R - General Chat" section must be S1000R related in some way  :028:

:821:

Offline Beamish

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 09:42:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by S1000R [+]
Topic is not S1000R related so moved to "Bikers Chat" section.

Please note that topics the "S1000R - General Chat" section must be S1000R related in some way  :028:

:821:

:430: :431: 
Red S1000R Sport

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor