Author Topic: Low beam shut-off cure... maybe.  (Read 168223 times)

Offline SwiftTone

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: Ducati SFs
  • City / Town: Bosstown, MA
Re: Low beam shut-off cure... maybe.
Reply #540 on: October 12, 2019, 02:06:14 PM
*Originally Posted by CrazyBiker [+]
It is the same as the mod described here. Does you low beam turn on with ignition?

Stays on when high beam  and ignition is on. Stays on for 30 seconds after key removed.

Offline Aurelius

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
  • City / Town: Byfield
Reply #541 on: February 09, 2020, 12:41:57 AM
Greetings.  New to this, and hoping for some good advice.  I installed a FuzeBox to run my low beams.  No problems getting things hooked up, and the low beam comes on and shuts off with the key (and a little delay).  But.....now the high beam won't turn on.  What?  Never went near that side of the housing, and the fuses are fine.  Any suggestions?  Here is another complicating factor to consider first.  I disconnected the FuzeBox and went back to the original wiring set up, and neither the low beam nor the high worked.  What?!  Again, fuses are fine.  What am I missing?

Online miles

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: A red one
  • City / Town: San Diego, CA
Reply #542 on: February 09, 2020, 01:28:16 AM
This makes no sense to me.  I can't imagine how running an alternate wiring setup to the low beam would affect the high in any way, and after removal and reset to original wiring everything should go back to the way it was before doing any work.

Sorry, but I just don't have any suggestions.
Just keep your head held high
Kiss your fist and touch the sky

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Reply #543 on: February 09, 2020, 01:49:43 AM
Obvious thing first, is the Hi-beam bulb OK??

I am with Miles, just doing the low beam 'On' conversion does not touch the Hi Beam side!

Offline Aurelius

• S1000R Junior
Reply #544 on: February 09, 2020, 02:25:04 AM
Thanks for the quick replies.  I pulled the high beam bulb, and it looked fine.  Filament intact and no discoloration.
It's a mystery that neither low nor high beams worked when I went back to the original configuration -- disconnected the FuzeBox and reconnected the original plug.  Makes me think I did something when I first pulled it apart.  But no obvious signs that something was damaged or pulled apart.  I'll dig a little deeper tomorrow, but I'm afraid this is above my pay grade.
But if you think of something, please let me know.  Thanks.

Offline Aurelius

• S1000R Junior
Reply #545 on: February 09, 2020, 02:26:45 AM
Don't the high and low beams have to communicate somehow?  How else would the low beam know to shut off when the high beam is on?  Did that communication get disrupted when the low beam goes straight to the FuzeBox?

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
Reply #546 on: February 09, 2020, 03:33:25 AM
Just another thing, one of the lights only comes on when the engine is running(can't remember which one).

Online miles

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: A red one
  • City / Town: San Diego, CA
Reply #547 on: February 09, 2020, 04:02:57 AM
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
Just another thing, one of the lights only comes on when the engine is running(can't remember which one).

High beam.
Just keep your head held high
Kiss your fist and touch the sky

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
Reply #548 on: February 09, 2020, 12:49:26 PM
Couldn't remember! I have an XR in the garage as well and on that it's the other way round (go figure!  :087:), with the low beam only coming on with the motor running!

Offline LateOnTheBrakes

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2014 S 1000 R
  • City / Town: Yorktown (USA)
Reply #549 on: June 30, 2020, 03:06:38 AM
This may have been discussed previously, but has anyone traced the low beam wiring back to it's switched source? Does it have a mechanical or solid state relay? Is it switched on a circuit board somewhere?

I bought the accessory wiring and H7 plug. I too am concerned by the diameter of the wire for accessory plug being too small. What I would really like to do is take the hot wire coming from the accessory plug and run it to the coil of a relay. This would provide power for the low beam to go through it's normal plug even when it would normally switch off.