Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Short full exhaust Akrapovic?  (Read 37296 times)

Offline nzeitoun

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
Re: Short full exhaust Akrapovic?
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 01:40:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by SinR1 [+]
You have to buy it in two pieces from the research that I've found so far. But you might want to double check to make sure I'm not making this all up, lol The main reason I'm saying this is it looks like the shorty can wouldn't be long enough to reach the header.

1.) http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/akrapovic-exhaust-header-bmw-s1000r-2014-2015

2.) http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/akrapovic-slip-on-exhaust-bmw-s1000rr-s1000r

Your 100% correct, this is the combo they fit together perfectly on the bike...I got it from Revzilla as well.
Riding to stay sane...

Offline mac900

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Honolulu
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 04:35:06 PM »
Hardly any difference there between the short can and the longer can is there?

Is this the same bike that shows up in your other posting? In the above picture it looks way longer than in the other thread.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 04:37:14 PM by mac900 »
No modification goes unpunished. ---- Good people drink good beer. ----  It's all up to your skill level, your thrill level and your will level. Everything else is just fluff. ---- Memento mori.

Offline nzeitoun

• S1000R Member
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 05:28:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by mac900 [+]
Hardly any difference there between the short can and the longer can is there?

Is this the same bike that shows up in your other posting? In the above picture it looks way longer than in the other thread.

Not too sure how the long can sounds, but this one is very loud and too me looks better. It also pops and backfires alot :062:

Yes, its the same bike, just took the freeze frame with my gopro while it was on a wide angle so the bike looks longer.
Riding to stay sane...

Offline boederitis

• S1000R Junior
  • City / Town: Riga
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 08:27:51 AM »
I like better the long one! And it doesn't care who are manufacturer  :305:

Offline S1KR

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1R Premium
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 04:53:19 PM »
I Just picked up my bike last week, this winter I will change a few things for the better or should  I say for my better (lol). One of the major things is the exhaust. I like the way both the short and long silencers look but the long silencer will make more usable power and torque for the street/seat of the pants feeling. If I go that route I will go with the long silencer. Looking at the dyno sheet on the Akrapovic site notice the hp/tq reading's pretty much follow/mimic the factory lines.
That tells me that the stock system isn't all that bad. The Catalytic converter is most likely the culprit. I may just cut the cat off, fab a link pipe to an after market silencer. if I go that route I will dyno the bike before and after. I was hoping to put some miles on her first to "break her in", though it doesn't look likely as its winter here.

Another thing, I'm quite surprised (actually shocked) that there is no exhaust shootout or comparison in any of the magazines, (that I'm aware of). As popular as the RR and the single R are, no one has done a write up?. One of the mag's should do 2 non biased shootouts, the first one should be the silencer, very simple and to the point. The second should be the full  exhaust, with piggy back or modified ecm and air cleaner. They could install a full system tune it to optimal settings as the dyno it, then leave the settings alone and just switch exhausts. It would be very extensive but hey that's what we pay them for! The biggest gain is weight, followed by sound/looks, followed by HP.
These are just my initial thoughts and observations...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 04:57:54 PM by S1KR »
"Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing. Moderation is for cowards"

Offline dlm

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: s1000r
  • City / Town: Rockville
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 03:28:25 AM »
For those that have done the de-cat, did you also remap the fueling or do any other tuning of the engine?  I did a de-cat on my Ducati Multistrada  but left the stock tune and it ran fine, actually greatly improved the fuel economy.

Offline skapan

• S1000R Pro
  • City / Town: Toronto
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 01:15:47 PM »
As far as the old version ECU (S1000RR up to 2014) I know a few people that have done the de cat without changing the tuning. Just leave the O2 sensors connected and it will adapt. Some others have also done this with the full Akro system on that bike. I'm sure there are a few more ponies that a tune would find, but if you're just liking the looks and sound, and are not getting 10 million Euros a year to ride, then the tune is not really necessary. One word of caution - with the de cat or the full system, the short muffler is LOUD. Our local track will not allow bikes over 98 dB, and the short muffler is way over, like 106 dB. For the street this may or may not be a good thing. 
The new version ECU (2014 S1000R and 2015 S1000RR) may be different in adaptation, I have to say I have only seen one S1000R with an Akro pipe, and he used a PC5 to change the fueling. So after all this my answer has to be "I don't know"
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 01:20:39 PM by skapan »

Offline morvegil

• S1000R Pro
  • Hooligan of Houston
  • Bike: s1000R
  • City / Town: Houston
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 02:29:25 AM »
SO you can buy the Akra Slip-on and the header pipes and not need a link pipe?  Do you need a power commander or anything?

Offline empty_infinity

• S1000R Pro
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 08:19:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by morvegil [+]
SO you can buy the Akra Slip-on and the header pipes and not need a link pipe?  Do you need a power commander or anything?

When you buy the headers from Akrapovic, they come with a link pipe to hook up the shorty (slip on) canister. 

Rich Austin, of Austin Racing, HIGHLY recommends the use of a PCV with their decat systems. 

With the akrapovic full system (long can), it seems that many users have had great success in letting the bike's ECU make the fuelling adjustment.  That being said, akrapovic and yoshimura design their systems to work with stock fuelling setups.  I don't know about the full system with a shorty, but Dynojet does have seperate S1000RR maps for shorty and long-can systems, so I would suspect they behave differently. 

Keep in mind that even if you let the ECU do the adjustment, it's working towards the lean AFR set by BMW.  A power commander actually lets you change the AFR.  I can't comment on whether this helps dramatically, but individuals that have had a full system installed with a power commander rave about the smoother power delivery and cooler operating temps.

Offline heltsonika

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: Tuono 1100RF
  • City / Town: Stockholm
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 10:31:19 PM »
Any updates on if the Power commander is necessary with the Akra headers and the short slip-on? I almost pressed the order button today.

Recent Posts/Topics