Author New Owner - Cable route for phone charger  (Read 7455 times)

• Offline santiromero   es

• S1000R Junior  ‐    2

Offline santiromero

• S1000R Junior
    • Bike: s1000R
    • City / Town: Madrid
    Re: New Owner - Cable route for phone charger
    Reply #10 on: June 25, 2023, 09:16:32 pm
    June 25, 2023, 09:16:32 pm
    *Originally Posted by JB1970 [+]
    All sorted this morning.  I removed the airbox cover, the left side panel and both seats.  I used a 3mtr USB cable and routed it, tied it in with the loom to the back.

hi JB, I am also interested in mounting an USB charger and would be great if you can provide more details on your setup as I have a Quadlock mount. I understand you routed it from the Quadlock mount through the left fairing and then to the back seat, right? how did you route it from the back seat to the fairing? also, what kind of USB cable are you using to connect to the Quadlock cable?

thank you!

• Offline JB1970   gb

• S1000R Member  ‐    31
    • Topic Author

Offline JB1970

• S1000R Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000R Sport K63
    • City / Town: Middlesbrough
    Reply #11 on: June 25, 2023, 09:52:38 pm
    June 25, 2023, 09:52:38 pm
    I maybe should've taken a few pics while I was doing it.

At the front of the airbox cover you'll see a notch through which the dash screen cable passes.  That's where the cable will exit:

1 - Remove the pillion seat/cowl

2 - Remove the main seat - one Torx fixing central at the rear

3 - Remove the airbox cover.  1 bolt dead centre at the front (this one is slightly longer than the others), and one either side.  With those removed, lift the airbox cover at the back either side of the filler cap -it's fixed there by two squares of velcro.  As you lift a bit further, hinging forward, two trim clips will release - one each side.  Then pull it gently backover, as on each side of the cover at the front it's hooked into the left and right side tank trim.

4 - Remove the left side tank trim.  There are two Torx screws - one toward the front and one toward the back going into the tubular frame.  At the very back, thin end of that trim you'll see it's got a tab that pushes into the plastic battery tray - pull that outover to unclip.  The trim has a few horizontal hooks on it so rather than pull it straight out, slide it back about and inch and it'll come free.

Cable - I used a 3m USB A to C cable from Amazon that I had (2.5 would have done and I just neatly coiled the excess length under the pillion seat in a couple of loops adjacent the USB socket).  It isn't black and has a fabric type sheath so I bound it end to end and back with black PVC tape.  The proper quad lock ones have a wider plug body to seal into the wireless charging head.  I just bulked out the standard end of mine by wrapping with PVC tape until it was a snug fit to keep it waterproof.  I never had issues previously when I did that on the Street Triple and I regularly pressure washed it.

Starting at the back pass the USB C end through the void at the left beneath the pillion seat and it'll come out under the main seat, then passed the battery and follow the wiring loom, under the left side of   the tank.  Toward the front of the tank follow the loom up onto the top of the airbox then down the centre at the front with the dashboard cable.  I threaded mine through from back to front, passing it behind other cables where necessary.  Once it was threaded I started at the front cable tying it in toward the back.  Just beneath the centre of the left side of the tank, there's a plastic channel that the main loom sits in; I hooked the cable of the front edge of that and carefully used a hook to tuck the cable in the channel with the loom, mainly because I didn't want it loose coming into contact with the frame.

I've possible made it sound more complicated than it is.  I didn't know how the panels were fitted so was guessing as I removed them tentatively, however now I've done it once it'll be easier next time (when I want to fit the carbon ones!)

Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 09:57:38 pm by JB1970

• Offline santiromero   es

• S1000R Junior  ‐    2

Offline santiromero

• S1000R Junior
    • Bike: s1000R
    • City / Town: Madrid
    Reply #12 on: June 26, 2023, 11:40:34 am
    June 26, 2023, 11:40:34 am
    *Originally Posted by JB1970 [+]

I've possible made it sound more complicated than it is.  I didn't know how the panels were fitted so was guessing as I removed them tentatively, however now I've done it once it'll be easier next time (when I want to fit the carbon ones!)

thank you very much for the detailed response.

• Offline JB1970   gb

• S1000R Member  ‐    31
    • Topic Author

Offline JB1970

• S1000R Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000R Sport K63
    • City / Town: Middlesbrough
    Reply #13 on: June 26, 2023, 12:02:54 pm
    June 26, 2023, 12:02:54 pm
    No problem.  I should've mentioned I'm using the fork stem mount with wireless charging head.

• Offline DanTheBmwMan   gb

• S1000R Junior  ‐    1

Offline DanTheBmwMan

• S1000R Junior
    Reply #14 on: February 15, 2024, 09:00:32 pm
    February 15, 2024, 09:00:32 pm
    I sell a wiring harness cheaper than nippy normans (20 delivered in the UK) plugs into the bmw socket at the front.

-I'm more active on the s1000r UK facebook page- have a search on there you'll see i've posted them a few times :)

sociology-monitor