Author Question for battery guys  (Read 5166 times)

• Offline Sunchaser   us

• S1000R Pro  ‐    221
    • Topic Author

Offline Sunchaser

• S1000R Pro
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: Largo, Florida
    Question for battery guys
    on: January 19, 2023, 08:11:07 pm
    January 19, 2023, 08:11:07 pm
    51 weeks ago, I installed a new Yausa YTZ10S into my 2016 and lately it has been starting hard.  Had to bump start it once and yesterday it was dead after a pit stop.  Jumped it from my wife's car and rode the bike home, maybe 5-7 miles, at which point it started okay back in my garage.

This morning, it barely lit the dash lights and laughed at me when I tried to start it.  Not even a click.  Put in a spare battery and the bike sprung to life much better it had been lately.

I bought the battery on January 27, 2022 so for a few days, it is still under warranty.

I'm wondering if there is anything else I should be looking for. 

The bike is putting out 14V+ while running, so I'm hoping it's just the battery and plan on taking it to the shop where I bought it for, hopefully, replacement.

I have had many Yausa batteries in different bikes and gotten many good years of service from them.  I'm kinda disappointed!

TIA for comments

• Offline starpower   us

• S1000R Master  ‐    529

Offline starpower

• S1000R Master
    • Bike: '14 S1KR, ZeroS
    • City / Town: Potter Valley
    Re: Question for battery guys
    Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 05:16:15 pm
    January 20, 2023, 05:16:15 pm
    If there is not an unknown load on it then it is likely the "unlikely" - a defective battery. Pretty rare for a battery to fail that quickly, but leaving it dead for over a week can do it. A DC clamp amp meter would be an easy load test with key off. If you're aware of it sitting very low or dead for several days at some point then that is probably it.  If so try to return.

• Offline Sunchaser   us

• S1000R Pro  ‐    221
    • Topic Author

Offline Sunchaser

• S1000R Pro
    • Topic Author
    Re: Question for battery guys
    Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 04:54:10 pm
    January 21, 2023, 04:54:10 pm
    Thanks for the comment...

I'm going to wait and see how my "backup" battery behaves for a bit before I dig too much deeper.  It made a world of difference already starting the bike with an oomph I'd forgotten about.

Unfortunately, the receipt for the battery has become lost and I doubt they will honor the warranty.

• Offline Sunchaser   us

• S1000R Pro  ‐    221
    • Topic Author

Offline Sunchaser

• S1000R Pro
    • Topic Author
    Re: Question for battery guys (epilog)
    Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 06:32:20 pm
    February 25, 2023, 06:32:20 pm
    Backup battery has been behaving as well as it should and has restored my confidence in the starting abilities of the bike.

I am very disappointed in the Yuasa battery.  I have had several Yuasas over the years and they served well and lasted many years in spite of the Florida heat.  My "backup" battery is a Batteries Plus model I paid $85 dollars in 2019, versus the $140 for the Yausa exactly one year ago.

A sidebar on the Batteries Plus unit... I left the ignition "on" all night once and it was so dead my Tender didn't recognize it.  I hit it hard with my car battery for a few minutes and the Tender saw it, charged it full, and the battery has worked fine since.

I know where I'll buy next time. 

Why I bought the Yausa is a long story.  I had issues with my ABS and wanted to eliminate the battery as a possible cause.  Turned out to be the ABS unit.  Had the ABS unit replaced at the dealer and I'm still trying to get the last bits of air out of my brakes.  But I'm very close, and yes, I do have a GS911 and have done the brake bleed several times over the years as well as recently.  I've been tying the lever back at times when I won't be riding, and I have improved it greatly.  So much better to modulate a stop when the lever isn't mushy.  I would have taken it back to the dealer if they weren't so far away and I'm a bit disappointed that the brakes didn't feel better when I got it back.  C'est la vie!

Regards

sociology-monitor