Author Topic: 12vdc plug for GPS, USB, whatever you want up front hidden behind horn  (Read 669 times)

Offline Hypo

• S1000R Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000r
  • City / Town: unison
Like many of you, I wanted to be able to put a USB plug up front on my S1000r and there were vague instructions, links to videos that had most of the info, but linked to parts on Nippy Normans that went to a 404 page, and had a piece of hardware in the mix that you may or may not need.  (I need to verify I don't start throwing errors with CANBUS etc as I start using my mod.) 

I took the information I learned in those links and videos and put them to use in this mod.

First I called my local BMW dealership and ordered the 3 wire plug that will jack straight into the GPS plug located behind the horn shown below with part numbers.  Cost me $20 US, but I like clean installs.  plain yellow wires to the plug.  make sure you complete your circuit and test before you wrap it all up and tuck it back in.

Then I looked at the available plugs.  both are 3wire plugs, one had blue wires, one had BROWN (usually a ground wire in cars/motorcycles) and red wires.  Per the Nippy Normans link, Brown was ground (pin 1), Red was 12vdc (pin3) and pin 2 went unused.  Of course I grabbed the wrong one first, which was located lower in the wiring, and if I had looked REALLY closely at the wires, would have seen the blues/purple hues on there, but... alas... that was the wrong one.  Brown and Red were on the higher plug tucked back into the frame and taped there with a cap.

First thing I did was connect the plug with key turned off, and shoot pin 1 BROWN to ground.  CHECK.  Then I shot pin 3 to 12vdc, nothing with key off,  13vdc with key turned on.  CHECK.  Then I took the USB connector of my choice (waterproofed 3amp circuit) and completed the mod.  Remember, the handlebars swing all the way to the left and you need to leave enough room between the front strut and the frame to avoid either crushing your wires or causing less turn radius when executing slow speed maneuvering.

Hope this helps future mods.
Carry on!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount up to and including their life.

Offline rogracer

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
  • City / Town: Orlando, Florida
Great post...thanks  :152:

Offline john.oldfield.uk

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: Warrington
nice thanks
any idea the max amps available through this direct cable ?      (thinking about smartphone fast charge)

Offline Hypo

• S1000R Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000r
  • City / Town: unison
everything I'm reading is that the circuit connected is a 5amp circuit.... but trying to find concrete proof.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount up to and including their life.

sociology-monitor