Author Topic: Gen1 to Gen2 change  (Read 650 times)

Offline The Mattus

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: West Yorkshire
Gen1 to Gen2 change
on: May 23, 2022, 02:52:32 PM
Afternoon everyone,

Sorry if this has been covered (done a couple of searches but came up empty handed  :006:

How many of you went from a gen1 to a gen2 I know the differences but are they noticeable and were you happy that you swapped?

:084:

Offline podders

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
Re: Gen1 to Gen2 change
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 08:22:43 PM
My friend has a Gen 1, I a Gen 2, we swapped bikes and I think, the only differences we could really feel where the fact my bike was 4-5 years newer.

So, seeing as neither are new bikes to buy now, I would conclude a low mileage, well maintained Gen 1 with all the extras will feel nicer than a ropey, neglected Gen 2.

IMHO the Gen 2 paint schemes are far nicer and have more ownership value to them than an extra (on paper) 5BHP...

Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 08:22:59 PM by podders

Online windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: '21 S1000RR
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 12:59:38 AM
I owned a gen 2 for 3.5 years and 12.5k miles. Before buying I road tested a gen 1 extensively. Although a road test of several hours a few times is not the same as owning one I did notice a couple of differences that were important to me. These are my personal observations and may not matter to others or they have different opinions but I offer to you:

1) The gen 1 has a short exhaust that is louder than the gen2 and since its shorter is easier for rider to hear. The gen 2 has a longer and larger exhaust that still sounds good but is not as loud as the gen 1. If you ride a long time this may be a factor for you..

2) The gen 1 bikes that I rode each had noticeably more vibration/buzz in the bars, tank, and seat and pegs. The gen 2 that I tested as well as the one I owned was much smoother and had much less vibration etc. This is partly due to the rubber bushings in between the handle bars and top triple. However, I think there must have been other differences that led to the whole bike feeling a good deal less buzzy.

3) The gen 2 had the new frame from the new (2015) S1000RR and handled much better to my average riding skills.

4) The gen 2 had cornering ABS which I think was lacking from the gen 1.

5) The gen 2 had 5 more hp at 165 (in US spec) not that I could notice realistically.

6) The gen 2 has a down blipper standard which the gen 1 does not have.

There are probably other differences but these I remember best and led me to be very glad I waited for the gen 2 since it provided a much more appealing bike for my preferences.
Hope this is useful to you.
Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 01:03:31 AM by windyrun

Offline S1000R_USA

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2019 S1000R
  • City / Town: NoVa
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 02:20:52 AM
Later models of the gen 2 appear to have wide-band AF exhaust sensors...  Wide Band sensors have couple extra colored wires under the shielding

Offline The Mattus

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: West Yorkshire
Reply #4 on: May 25, 2022, 10:33:08 AM
*Originally Posted by podders [+]
My friend has a Gen 1, I a Gen 2, we swapped bikes and I think, the only differences we could really feel where the fact my bike was 4-5 years newer.

So, seeing as neither are new bikes to buy now, I would conclude a low mileage, well maintained Gen 1 with all the extras will feel nicer than a ropey, neglected Gen 2.

IMHO the Gen 2 paint schemes are far nicer and have more ownership value to them than an extra (on paper) 5BHP...

The newness factor isn't really an issue for me as i'd just buy a decent example of either, currently owning a 2014 Frozen blue gen1 I was more curious to see other people views.
I had originally sold it but it fell through so was just looking around at replacements, Having looked at the usual other naked's in the class I just didn't get along with them, for the the natural progress would either be a gen2 R or a gen 3 RR. As i say i'm not too fussed for new new bikes so the gen 3 R isn't in the running and it hasn't grown on me enough yet to want one. I do prefer the white multicoulered out of the colours that have been available so agree in the colour, the Frozen Blue isn't for everyone.

*Originally Posted by windyrun [+]
I owned a gen 2 for 3.5 years and 12.5k miles. Before buying I road tested a gen 1 extensively. Although a road test of several hours a few times is not the same as owning one I did notice a couple of differences that were important to me. These are my personal observations and may not matter to others or they have different opinions but I offer to you:

1) The gen 1 has a short exhaust that is louder than the gen2 and since its shorter is easier for rider to hear. The gen 2 has a longer and larger exhaust that still sounds good but is not as loud as the gen 1. If you ride a long time this may be a factor for you..

2) The gen 1 bikes that I rode each had noticeably more vibration/buzz in the bars, tank, and seat and pegs. The gen 2 that I tested as well as the one I owned was much smoother and had much less vibration etc. This is partly due to the rubber bushings in between the handle bars and top triple. However, I think there must have been other differences that led to the whole bike feeling a good deal less buzzy.

3) The gen 2 had the new frame from the new (2015) S1000RR and handled much better to my average riding skills.

4) The gen 2 had cornering ABS which I think was lacking from the gen 1.

5) The gen 2 had 5 more hp at 165 (in US spec) not that I could notice realistically.

6) The gen 2 has a down blipper standard which the gen 1 does not have.

There are probably other differences but these I remember best and led me to be very glad I waited for the gen 2 since it provided a much more appealing bike for my preferences.
Hope this is useful to you.
The blipper and cornering ABS are advantageous I guess, the frame is interesting as I had forgotten about that and overlooked from the other changes. Mine being an early Gen 1 I can definitely say there's a fair amount of vibration from both, buzzing hands are annoying after a longish ride so that being an improvement on a gen 2 is worth it for me. The exhaust isn't really an issue as I'd change that anyway, the Gen 2 has much more choice from what I've found.