Author Topic: Hot panniers  (Read 399 times)

Offline Oops

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1KR
  • City / Town: Skye
Hot panniers
on: May 20, 2022, 03:57:46 PM
 Well, had an 'interesting' experience at the weekend.

Right hand pannier, above the exhaust. Been like that for 8500 miles with no issues. Taking a brisk run out with a mate, and there's what sounded like a massive backfire. Stop a few hundred meters down the road and my ridding buddy was frantically asking if I was OK and what did I ride through. Get off the bike and there's a cracking dent in the exhaust.

Turns out, the little CO2 canisters for the puncture repair kit were at the bottom of my pannier. Must have got a little warm and exploded. Punched a hole through the pannier, and um, made a bit of a mess  :008: :008: :008:

Luckily I had a hoodie on top of the repair kit, so blast was forced down and not up.

Soooo a word of advice out there, if you're on a spirited run, the exhaust may get a little hotter than normal, so keeping compressed gas bottles next to it may not be the best idea. Bloody lucky it wasn't the can of expanding foam which was also in the pannier  :008: :008:

Offline podders

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
Re: Hot panniers
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 05:29:03 PM
Bloody hell.  Thats a new one on me!

You would never have thought that possible to do even if you tried!

Online jaykay2000

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: London
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 06:14:08 PM
Any other damage than the exhaust?

Hope not too much of a mess that can't be fixed easily.

The story gave me a right laugh  :008:

Wouldn't have even thought about that canisters in the left pannier from now on then  :008:

Offline Oops

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1KR
  • City / Town: Skye
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 12:40:55 PM
Other than a hole you could out your fist through in the pannier, na just my pride.  :008::008: