Author Topic: Arrow "Works" Header Install Resulted in Leaking 2017 Gen 2  (Read 321 times)

Offline corey

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 S1kR
  • City / Town: Pittsburgh
Alright, folks  the title tells the tale.

For reference, the exhaust installed is Arrow kit 71184CKZ stock image below.

Bike is a 2017 model.

I went through this install process over the course of two Saturdays with relatively few headaches to speak of.

I buttoned up a few things and fired her up for a test, and was met with leaking at possibly multiple header unions.

Some notes:
    Fresh exhaust gaskets (crush rings) were used
    Header nuts torqued to factory spec (14nm), but this resulted in a slight bending of two of the universal exhaust flanges from Arrow
    I backed off on the torque spec to minimize the bending of additional flanges
    The exhaust does not appear to be leaking at the collet that enters the manifold/head, but rather at the slip union where the header pipes slide in
    Used the supplied "exhaust grease" where and when specified

Any thoughts on solving this? Does anyone have a similar experience?

Any insight or help is appreciated I'll post a video/image of the leak once all of the neighbors are awake.

C

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
I would, wait for the neighbors to show signs of activity, then fire her up and allow her to get up to running temperature, then check to see if the heat has helped seal things up.

Offline corey

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
Thanks, Simon I let it warm up for just a few minutes. It was mothers day and some folks were having brunch on the deck across the road. I didn't feel like being a jerk.

Going to try again today, but regardless I can't live with the bent flanges. It's coming off and I'm going to straighten them out on my bench vice and reinstall with less torque.

Hopefully, I didn't break anything else in the process.

Fresh exhaust gaskets are on the way just in case I need to reinstall the stock header.  :003:

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
with 0 miles on those headers if you are going to re-install stock I would just re-use the gaskets

Offline corey

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
Just want to have an extra set on hand to be safe  they aren't pricey, and my closest dealership was kind enough to overnight them.

I'll post more later this week once I get time to sort this all out.

Overall, still really impressed by the arrow system  it's gorgeous, sounds amazing, and despite all of my research, the installation was fairly straightforward.