Author Topic: S1000R Few Questions  (Read 705 times)

Offline DangerMouse

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: London, UK
S1000R Few Questions
on: May 07, 2022, 08:33:42 PM
Alright Guys,

Just got a new S1000R Sport with the M-Sport pack on it - few quick questions for those more knowledgeable!

- Suspension is a bit on the firm side even in road mode - will it loosen up a bit as I put more miles on it? Reading here people say it does a bit . . .

- Handlebars are a little bit solid - my palms started to get a bit uncomfortable after an hour or so on it today - is this a common thing or is it just my geometry is a bit forward and there's a bit too much weight on the bars?

- On the left hand side handlebar there's one cable with some yellow and green wires coming out of it with no protection covering them - is this on everyone elses bike too?

- In my manual it says 7000rpm for first 300km and then no full load until 1000km with a first service somewhere inbetween those two points - does that sound about right?

- Standard heigh M-Sport seat is ever so slightly too high - apparently there is a low M-Sport seat that takes the heigh down about 20mm - my question for those who have it - does it lose any comfort to the standard height seat - and if so, how much?

- Gearbox feels a bit notchy around town - does it loosen up and start to engage more positively as the engine gets some miles on it? Also clutch seems a bit firm for no reason I can understand - guessing this is one thing that won't loosen up with time.

Other than that really enjoyed the ride - bike got a little bit hot in and around London but apart from that was fun just getting it bedded in! Was suprised to see Brembo brake calipers on the front now but apparently they made the switch back a few months ago?

Thanks in advance!

Have attached picture of wires not covered on left handlebar here;

Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 08:47:47 PM by DangerMouse
Thanks
DM

Offline 5e11even

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2022 S1000R
  • City / Town: Honolulu
Re: S1000R Few Questions
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 01:06:13 AM
I have the M-Sport model as well.

- Suspension is a bit on the firm side even in road mode - will it loosen up a bit as I put more miles on it? Reading here people say it does a bit . . .
I have 2000 miles on mine and it did loosen up a bit. Still a bit firm than I'd like though.

- Handlebars are a little bit solid - my palms started to get a bit uncomfortable after an hour or so on it today - is this a common thing or is it just my geometry is a bit forward and there's a bit too much weight on the bars?
The egros are a bit aggressive (but not supersport aggressive) and I was having slight wrist pain due to the vibrations from the bars. I have the 10mm OEM risers that helped with the vibrations and egros but now have the 25mm risers from Wunderlich and now I don't experience much discomfort. Only "issue" with the risers is that it feels a bit different when cornering so that was something I had to get used to.

- On the left hand side handlebar there's one cable with some yellow and green wires coming out of it with no protection covering them - is this on everyone elses bike too?
Mine is like that but I just have the green wires showing.

- In my manual it says 7000rpm for first 300km and then no full load until 1000km with a first service somewhere inbetween those two points - does that sound about right?
Yes. Before the first service, your bike will have the rev limiter on. Once you do your first service, the dealership will remove it.

- Standard heigh M-Sport seat is ever so slightly too high - apparently there is a low M-Sport seat that takes the heigh down about 20mm - my question for those who have it - does it lose any comfort to the standard height seat - and if so, how much?
I have the lower seat and while it is still uncomfortable when hitting bumps, I don't find it that bad compared to the standard height seat.

- Gearbox feels a bit notchy around town - does it loosen up and start to engage more positively as the engine gets some miles on it? Also clutch seems a bit firm for no reason I can understand - guessing this is one thing that won't loosen up with time.
It does loosen up a bit. It was a bit jerky the first 800 miles around town but now its pretty smooth. My clutch is actually kind of loose for me, I might have to tighten my clutch lever maybe.

Hopefully this answers some of your questions!

Offline miles

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: A baby blue one
  • City / Town: San Diego, CA
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 01:26:32 AM
If the suspension is anything like the older generations, properly setting sag is crucial to the performance and feel. It can't be overstated how important it is.
Just keep your head held high
Kiss your fist and touch the sky

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 18 S1KR -sold-
  • City / Town: Montreal
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 01:06:38 PM
 :460:
current bike: 2021 Tuono V4 Factory

Offline DangerMouse

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: London, UK
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 02:27:49 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for that will get the SAG setup properly!

Will also look at the OEM bar risers & lower seat to see how they might work!

Don't think mine has any rev-limiter on it that I can see? Maybe they forgot to enable it from the factory?

Glad to hear suspension and gearbox loosen up a bit so thats something!

Really cool bike to ride enjoying it so far.

Thanks for the help!

Oh one other small thing is it normal for the TFT (a little bit) and in turn the windscreen a bit more - to "wobble" whilst driving? It's not entirely solid, I'm guessing thats normal though?
Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 02:41:25 PM by DangerMouse
Thanks
DM

Offline zombie

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R sold
  • City / Town: Oromocto
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 02:59:50 PM
Not sure about the current gen, but my 2017 was rev limited to 9k rpm (from memory I think it was 9k) until the first service.

Offline SlamDunK

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: S1000r sport K63
  • City / Town: Carnforth
Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 01:55:54 AM
I wonder if it makes a difference what you've come off? I had an RSV4, if you sit on that it'll knock your fillings out so I would ride on my feet rather than my backside.
Compared to that, the R in road mode is relatively plush.
I'm about 13 stone and change geared up.
The dynamic settings have a similar effect, great on smooth road but a bit jarring on typical piss poorley maintained roads and the riding position doesn't allow for the same style as the Aprilia.
It'd be great if you could have road suspension with dynamic (pro) everything else.
I'd add, make sure your suspension is set correctly, one helmet on the display. I left mine on two after a run with my daughter because I forgot I had the choice.

Offline Junkaa

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: Clonmel
Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 10:31:29 AM
*Originally Posted by DangerMouse [+]
Hi Guys,

Thanks for that will get the SAG setup properly!

Will also look at the OEM bar risers & lower seat to see how they might work!

Don't think mine has any rev-limiter on it that I can see? Maybe they forgot to enable it from the factory?

Glad to hear suspension and gearbox loosen up a bit so thats something!

Really cool bike to ride enjoying it so far.

Thanks for the help!

Oh one other small thing is it normal for the TFT (a little bit) and in turn the windscreen a bit more - to "wobble" whilst driving? It's not entirely solid, I'm guessing thats normal though?
Mine didnít have any limiter from factory too.