Author Topic: Questions about buying used  (Read 748 times)

Offline Loyfex

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBR
Questions about buying used
on: January 10, 2022, 11:49:15 AM
Hello friends,

How is the longevity on these bikes? Iím in the market for one. Whatís the ďsweet spotĒ in terms of age and mileage when buying these bikes used? Are there any issues that comes up on average at a certain distance etc.? Or more prevalent on one specific generation of bike etc.

Iím going to check one out this week. Itís a used bike sold by a certified BMW dealer: Itís a 2015 and itís got 34k kilometers (or 21k miles) on it and one previous owner.
It looks very nice from the photos, so far so good.

However, things to note: Gaps in service history. Missing two stamps; 2017 and 2020 respectively. Big service at 30k was done in 2021 at 33k. Somewhat questionable behavior from whomever owned this bike prior, but no dealbreaker necessarily.
Is there anything I should be extra cautious of or check extensively on a bike like this?

Offline jaykay2000

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: London
Re: Questions about buying used
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 01:46:54 PM
Other people will undoubtedly give you better technical advice.

However my advice would be to have a look in general at the smaller things - I would say in general a well maintained bike normally mean a good previous owner and that normally on average lends itself to a bike less likely to have issues.

For instance I have a habit of being very careful when I put my key in the petrol tank (So not to have lots of scratches around it) it is a very silly thing but you will find that it tells a story about my slightly OCD self -  I keep the chain clean and there are no other marks on the bike.

Don't follow this literally - bikes have marks if used well but if lots of small things are adding up to mistreatment then I would be patient for another opportunity.

p.s. Engine sounds like nails......don't worry its normal  :745: 

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: '21 S1000RR
Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 03:36:53 PM
I would ask about its cam chain tensioner. Specifically, is it the original? Is it a manual type that was replaced along its life? The cam chain in these motors stretches? and needs adjustment periodically (like 9k miles ?). If not monitored then the top end of the motor will sound very loud at idle indicating bad things are coming soon to a motor near you. I recommend you search the forum for threads on the cam chain tensioner to do your due diligence on this.

Also, the water pumps sometimes leak/go bad so ask about that. Its very expensive to replace. When mine went on a 2018 with only like 5k miles it was covered by warranty but the dealer mentioned it would have cost almost $1000 to replace without a warranty (seems high but that is what he told me).

You might ask the dealer to install new chain tensioner if they don't know and include some kind of warranty on the water pump.

As a side note I sold mine at 12500 miles and the only issue it ever had was the water pump. It gave me great confidence as a reliable friend. I only sold it to get an RR since I am planning to do more track days (the S1000R was fun on track though!)

Just some ideas.
Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 03:42:49 PM by windyrun

Offline Loyfex

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 10:00:58 AM
Thanks for your inputs.
The cam chain issue seems worrying af. I was not aware of this prior, might be a deal breaker since I gotta buy used. Is there any numbers of prevalency for this issue - specifically from BMW themselves? From what I've gathered so far from internet posts it seems extremely widespread. But, how many cases actaully result in catastrophic engine failure? And how many is just a nuisance? I gotta weight my odds here as any bike within my budget will have quite a bit of mileage and age on them and definitely no warranty. In addition to what a seller might be able to tell me about how the issue has been corrected (or not). Scenario: How many estimated miles can a bike do with untreatead cam chain issue, i.e progressively too much slack?
Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 10:08:12 AM by Loyfex

Offline Hamburg

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Oxford
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 10:30:36 AM
Itís not a huge issue and failures are very rare, the larger tensioner bolt is only £30.

My 2014 28000 mile bike rattles a bit, but at the recent service they checked it felt it was fine.

If you read Internet forums before making any major purchase, you wouldnít buy anything.

The S1000R is a fantastic bike, itís fast, comfortable and easy to ride. I would personally thoroughly recommend one as a used buy.

I also wouldnít worry about missing stamps in the service book, I would be more interested in seeing all the service invoices so you can then get a clearer idea of how well itís been maintained.

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: '21 S1000RR
Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 03:33:06 PM
FWIW my dealer told me BMW has a service guidance on the cam chain tensioner that if there is noise then the original adjuster should be replaced with the new adjuster at 9,000 miles. For this reason my dealer changed mine at around 9,000 miles when bike was in for general service since I asked for it. Just to be clear, there was no issue with the motor or bike I just asked about it and this is what I was told. IIRC there is also guidance from BMW to replace the chain at 18,000 miles or some such adjustment as a preventive maintenance service.

So you could ask the dealer that is selling the bike about the cam chain tensioner, what BMW guidance on this is, what the history of the chain is since the bike has a fair number of miles on it, and if you are serious about buying the bike ask for a warranty of some sort as a purchase requirement and leave it to the dealer to decide.

On a related matter, some owners have replaced the original tensioner with manual ones that can be adjusted as perceived necessary.

Its a great bike just needs maintenance as any bike does.

Offline Hamburg

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Oxford
Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 03:38:09 PM
 :460:

Offline Loyfex

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 05:33:33 PM
*Originally Posted by Hamburg [+]
If you read Internet forums before making any major purchase, you wouldnít buy anything.

You're very right about this actually.

Splendid answers guys, thanks for your input.

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 18 S1KR
  • City / Town: Montreal
Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 07:20:01 PM
*Originally Posted by windyrun [+]
FWIW my dealer told me BMW has a service guidance on the cam chain tensioner that if there is noise then the original adjuster should be replaced with the new adjuster at 9,000 miles. For this reason my dealer changed mine at around 9,000 miles when bike was in for general service since I asked for it. Just to be clear, there was no issue with the motor or bike I just asked about it and this is what I was told. IIRC there is also guidance from BMW to replace the chain at 18,000 miles or some such adjustment as a preventive maintenance service.

It is usually a longer than 'normal' rattle at cold starts that is the first indication of stretch. If it doesn't go away or shows up higher in the revs, something else is amiss.   You can tell if the cam chain tensioner is the original or not by color. the original being black and the BMW replacement being silver(just changed mine). If its an aftermarket one, it will have a threaded bolt with a nut. The chain itself is inspected etc at the 30k with the scheduled valve check...so i've been told. 
Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 07:21:03 PM by Hooligan