Author Topic: Adjusting shift lever Gen3  (Read 443 times)

Offline Leo167

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 22 S1000R
  • City / Town: Sayreville
Adjusting shift lever Gen3
on: November 28, 2021, 12:43:56 AM
Hey All- Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving
So i never adjusted a shift linkage with an integrated QS
I'm accustomed to the straight bar turn buckle thing
so on the 2022- Do they turn independently? like after breaking the jam nut I have to remove
it from the shifter and dial in the desired length?
or do you break both ends and spin it like a normal turnbuckle?
Thanks in advance...

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
Re: Adjusting shift lever Gen3
Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 11:05:14 PM
Do not allow the shaft going to the magnetic field switch to spin. This can be tricky and it is made of aluminum so it is not easy to deal with this $600 bit of jewelry. You need to loosen the jam nut (s) and spin the end piece but there is loctite in there. And much of a change will mess with your lever angles enough to cause poor shifting or no shifting. Be sure you are not using dirt bike boots.

Offline Leo167

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 22 S1000R
  • City / Town: Sayreville
Re: Adjusting shift lever Gen3
Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 05:46:28 PM
*Originally Posted by beech [+]
Do not allow the shaft going to the magnetic field switch to spin. This can be tricky and it is made of aluminum so it is not easy to deal with this $600 bit of jewelry. You need to loosen the jam nut (s) and spin the end piece but there is loctite in there. And much of a change will mess with your lever angles enough to cause poor shifting or no shifting. Be sure you are not using dirt bike boots.

Lol on the dirt bike boots... funny thing is, this is what prompted the question on how to adjust....during the colder months I wear my gore tex touring boots, while not dirt bike boots they do have
a fatter toe box compared to my Vented A stars SMX and kept snagging up.. so I figure raise it by a few MM's
$300 or so for gore tex or WP sport boots is far cheaper than damaging that $600 piece of jewelry
Thank you for the info-

sociology-monitor