Author Topic: Instrument Head light assembly removal.  (Read 490 times)

Offline kiloechoxray

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S 1000 R
  • City / Town: Houston
Instrument Head light assembly removal.
on: November 27, 2021, 05:53:39 AM
I'm planning on changing out the OEM bars and replacing with Helibars type race bars.  After reading the extensive thread on the subject hear on the forum the one thing I can't find good info on is removing the whole Instrument/headlight cluster/assembly from the triple tree. According to the Haynes manual it looks like there's only 3 screws mounting this whole thing.  Are there more detailed instructions out there, am I missing something or is my first look at this correct?

Thanks

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Re: Instrument Head light assembly removal.
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 12:17:41 PM
Assuming that your is a 14-19 model? whilst the manual makes it look that simple, my advise would be to remove screen, side panels and nose fairing, from there you may even want to loosen the head light cluster(2 screws and 2 clips under just behind the steering damper). this will then give you much better access. The 2 upper screws that secure the plastic bracket to the triple are a bit of a bugger to get to)

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 06:19:19 PM
A long reach extension with your Torx socket on the end. The extension needs to be the type with beveled sides so the socket can move sideways a bit. This has to come off every 12,000 miles for the steering head bearing torque check. Done once and you will get it. That whole assembly, as you say is held on with minimal attachment.

Offline kiloechoxray

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 01:09:43 AM
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
Assuming that your is a 14-19 model? whilst the manual makes it look that simple, my advise would be to remove screen, side panels and nose fairing, from there you may even want to loosen the head light cluster(2 screws and 2 clips under just behind the steering damper). this will then give you much better access. The 2 upper screws that secure the plastic bracket to the triple are a bit of a bugger to get to)

All good to know - thanks - and yes, mine is a 2018

Offline kiloechoxray

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 01:10:52 AM
*Originally Posted by beech [+]
A long reach extension with your Torx socket on the end. The extension needs to be the type with beveled sides so the socket can move sideways a bit. This has to come off every 12,000 miles for the steering head bearing torque check. Done once and you will get it. That whole assembly, as you say is held on with minimal attachment.

How long do you think these extensions need to be?

And I'm not sure I know what you mean by it having beveled sides.  can you post a pic, perhaps?

sociology-monitor