Author Topic: Engine dies without any warning  (Read 1551 times)

Offline rogracer

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
  • City / Town: Orlando, Florida
Re: Engine dies without any warning
Reply #10 on: January 03, 2022, 11:44:21 PM
I'm just saying an abrupt chop-throttle with the clutch pulled in on a low-inertia engine can cause an over-shoot of the target idle rpm..resulting in a stall.  That is one of the reasons heavy flywheels are used in normal applications.  My point is that all "stalls" are not the result of the same underlying issue...so anyone reporting a problem should be clear under what conditions it was observed.

Offline shaun5150

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000R M Sport
  • City / Town: Moreton-in-Marsh
Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 11:50:52 AM
*Originally Posted by shaun5150 [+]
Its booked in ;-)

Update : as there have been a number of subsequent posts after I originally reported it to my local dealer , I have not once had the issue return (clutching a very large lump of wood right now) - the dealer could not find any issue when I dropped it in for its RIS but has kept it on file.
I have tried different riding modes and not once did it happen...very bizarre !
S1000R MSport | Carbon Pack | Carbon Wheels | R&G Radiator Guard | R&G Oil Cooler Guard | Akrapovic Titanium Slip On | Evotech Tail Tidy | HJR Bar End Mirrors | BMW Fly Screen | Wireless Quadlock System | CFC Ceramic Coating |

Online podders

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
Reply #12 on: January 04, 2022, 11:58:23 AM
*Originally Posted by rogracer [+]
I'm just saying an abrupt chop-throttle with the clutch pulled in on a low-inertia engine can cause an over-shoot of the target idle rpm..resulting in a stall.  That is one of the reasons heavy flywheels are used in normal applications.  My point is that all "stalls" are not the result of the same underlying issue...so anyone reporting a problem should be clear under what conditions it was observed.

Understand....You know its a BMW road bike with a 3 year warranty, not a TZ750 or an RC213 ...?

Online podders

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
Reply #13 on: January 04, 2022, 11:58:52 AM
*Originally Posted by shaun5150 [+]
Update : as there have been a number of subsequent posts after I originally reported it to my local dealer , I have not once had the issue return (clutching a very large lump of wood right now) - the dealer could not find any issue when I dropped it in for its RIS but has kept it on file.
I have tried different riding modes and not once did it happen...very bizarre !

Good news, long may it continue!

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
Reply #14 on: January 08, 2022, 04:34:30 AM
Podders, you have obviously not owned a K1300S or GS bike, or especially a K1200S. They were famous for going dead at chopped throttle. Some software came out in 2008 to stop the rpm drop at 1800 for a quarter of a second to let the electronics catch the idle. Now of course this is a usa bike that has screwed up air polution fueling. The EU bikes run much better. You would be appalled to ride some of the usa tuned bikes. And out of tolerance parts can stack up and cause problems. There are a few bikes out there that are just dogs. I am not surprised that with new standards in EU this nasty habit can show up now.