Author Topic: Question for those who have aftermarket handlebars  (Read 475 times)

Offline Vahnatai

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2016 S1000R
  • City / Town: Sterling, VA
Question for those who have aftermarket handlebars
on: October 19, 2021, 05:46:57 PM
OH GOD! It's another one of those terricle, never-ending vibration posts!  Ugh!

But in all seriousness, a few weeks ago I was involved in a side swiping accident and need to replace my handle bar.  I'd been tossing around the idea of a spacer previously and combined with the high cost of the factory bar am considering an aftermarket set of bars (Rizoma, AC Schnizter, etc) that produce a less aggressive riding position.  But I do have a few concerns:  That all aftermarket bars are hollow, they weigh less than the stock one, and there really aren't any bar end weights with the same type of heft that we normally see with S1000R fitment weights.  Has vibration been a problem with aftermarket bars with the the different type of construction and weights involved?  I'm not particularly savvy on filling a set of handle bars.

I'm coming from stock bars with Evotech bar ends.
2016 S1000R
Ilmberger Carbon Fiber Tank Cover, Ilmberger Carbon Fiber Front Fender, Ilmberger Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Rizoma Elisse Mirrors, Wunderlich Mirror Extenders, Tecbike Cat Cover, SW-Motech Frame Sliders, R&G Axle Sliders, Wunderlich Touring Screen, Arrow Works Titanium Slip-On, Cox Racing Radiator/Oil Cooler Guards

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Re: Question for those who have aftermarket handlebars
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 07:13:37 PM
I used a Rizoma bar on my 14, I put threaded inserts into the end of the bars and use RhinoMoto bar-ends with CRG arrow mirrors. there is no issue with the quality of the aftermarket bars.

used these in the ends(may have been M12 or M10 internal thread) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KLT1QQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Offline Vahnatai

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 07:24:30 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
I used a Rizoma bar on my 14, I put threaded inserts into the end of the bars and use RhinoMoto bar-ends with CRG arrow mirrors. there is no issue with the quality of the aftermarket bars.

used these in the ends(may have been M12 or M10 internal thread) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KLT1QQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

How are handle bar vibrations compared to your prior setup with the stock bars?  Thanks for the link as well!
2016 S1000R
Ilmberger Carbon Fiber Tank Cover, Ilmberger Carbon Fiber Front Fender, Ilmberger Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Rizoma Elisse Mirrors, Wunderlich Mirror Extenders, Tecbike Cat Cover, SW-Motech Frame Sliders, R&G Axle Sliders, Wunderlich Touring Screen, Arrow Works Titanium Slip-On, Cox Racing Radiator/Oil Cooler Guards

Online miles

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: A baby blue one
  • City / Town: San Diego, CA
Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 10:12:23 PM
I was never bothered by the stock bar vibes, but when my bike fell over suddenly and I had to replace the bar I swapped for a carbon fiber bar. I think it reduced the vibes a touch, but as I say, Iím not that sensitive to those things anyway.
Just keep your head held high
Kiss your fist and touch the sky

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 10:37:16 PM
*Originally Posted by Vahnatai [+]

How are handle bar vibrations compared to your prior setup with the stock bars?  Thanks for the link as well!

they are a little better than the stock set-up. While IO still had the OEM mirrors I could run about 10mph faster with the replacement bars before the mirrors became useless.

Offline Vahnatai

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 11:13:56 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
they are a little better than the stock set-up. While IO still had the OEM mirrors I could run about 10mph faster with the replacement bars before the mirrors became useless.

Any chance I could bother you for a picture of your bars on the bike?  Saw you had Rizoma MA008 and I'm looking at its replacement, the MA009.
2016 S1000R

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 01:06:10 AM
They are not on right now, but I am pretty sure that  a search on this forum or in my Gallery will produce some photos