Author Topic: Service 6k  (Read 824 times)

Offline jaykay2000

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: London
Service 6k
on: September 14, 2021, 08:45:07 AM
I am riding my bike at a rate (1k per month) where the computer is telling me i am going to need a service with BMW ever 6 months (As i believe its the shorter of mileage or 1 year)

Obviously that's going to rack up in money. Is it worth doing every other one with BMW and doing a 6k mile one yourself or will BMW use that if you have any warranty issues?

Offline Spartacus

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 20 S1000R SPORT
  • City / Town: North Wilts
Re: Service 6k
Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 09:03:18 AM
Think I'd do every other one as you've suggested provided you have all the receipts for parts, oils etc AND they must be BMW sourced.

Offline Joe85

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Kent
Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 05:21:24 PM
*Originally Posted by jaykay2000 [+]
I am riding my bike at a rate (1k per month) where the computer is telling me i am going to need a service with BMW ever 6 months (As i believe its the shorter of mileage or 1 year)

Obviously that's going to rack up in money. Is it worth doing every other one with BMW and doing a 6k mile one yourself or will BMW use that if you have any warranty issues?

The only thing you'll need is to pay someone on eBay to pop round with a GS911 Tool, or whatever it's called, to clear/reset the service warning.

Someone did mine for 20.
Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 05:21:48 PM by Joe85

Offline Oops

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1KR
  • City / Town: Skye
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 04:14:20 PM
Mine is booked in for the 19th of Oct for it's 2nd service. I'll post what the damage is.

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 04:26:09 AM
Do a google search for the maintenance list of items done each service interval. You can do the 6 quite easily. But the 12 requires the front fork to be re tightened. Need a special socket available for about 40$ US. The 18K miles is a valve check which is generally not possible for most folks. Needs tools. Also the front fork oil is to be changed and there is no drain or fill plug. A huge nasty mess to do it. Forks off, spring compressor etc,
Find your bike on this list below and look at the various miles/kilometers service intervals and what needs to be done. Work from there. Keep your files on the work you do. buy good oil and filters. Don't feel bad telling your dealer what you already have done. In the UK and wet areas in the states, change your brake fluid every year.
https://www.ascycles.com/bmw_motorcycle_service_and_maintenance_schedules

Offline jaykay2000

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: London
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 04:21:07 PM
*Originally Posted by beech [+]
Do a google search for the maintenance list of items done each service interval. You can do the 6 quite easily. But the 12 requires the front fork to be re tightened. Need a special socket available for about 40$ US. The 18K miles is a valve check which is generally not possible for most folks. Needs tools. Also the front fork oil is to be changed and there is no drain or fill plug. A huge nasty mess to do it. Forks off, spring compressor etc,
Find your bike on this list below and look at the various miles/kilometers service intervals and what needs to be done. Work from there. Keep your files on the work you do. buy good oil and filters. Don't feel bad telling your dealer what you already have done. In the UK and wet areas in the states, change your brake fluid every year.
https://www.ascycles.com/bmw_motorcycle_service_and_maintenance_schedules

Nice one - thats really appreciated

Think i will do the 6k and leave the 12k to BMW - Happy to do oil/filter etc changes and then id rather not mess around anymore then that.

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 04:28:58 PM
Keep in mind there are little items that are not in the service lists. Things like chain maintenance, brake and clutch lube work, inspecting the clutch cable at both ends for damage, lube the center stand, pick the bugs out of the radiators, lube the shift linkage ball joints all that sort of thing.

Offline Oops

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1KR
  • City / Town: Skye
Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 11:34:10 PM
6k includes a brake oil flush.

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Reply #8 on: September 25, 2021, 12:45:29 AM
Actually brake fluid flush is on a timeline rather that miles. BMW official - 1st brake fluid flush after 1 year , thereafter every 2 years. As Beech says though, it is cheap insurance to flush every year.

"34 00 549 Changing brake fluid, rear brakes
 initially after one year, then every two years "

Offline Wiffa

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2018-S1KR Sport
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 02:49:04 AM
Mr JayKay 2000

Have a read of your manual.
Servicing is every 10,000Km or 1 year whatever comes first.
Just a thought the servicing is 10,000km or 6000 miles perhaps it is set to miles?
There is function that the dealer can set if you are known to do more Km's/miles per annum, they can set the service reminder to less km's/miles, perhaps done with yours?
Get them to check, it is annoying!

Good Luck

Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 02:53:12 AM by Wiffa