Author Topic: Electric vehicles (and bikes)  (Read 526 times)

Offline Spartacus

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 20 S1000R SPORT
  • City / Town: North Wilts
Electric vehicles (and bikes)
on: August 28, 2021, 06:45:26 AM
Well, whether we like it or not, electric vehicles and bikes seem to be on the ascendancy.

But I've grave misgivings about this change. These vehicles are too quiet!! I predict they'll be an increase in road accidents involving not only pedestrians, wild animals but other road users. At least with an exhaust noise, we are forewarned and aware that an oncoming vehicle is approaching.

I had an experience with an electric Jag driver who came out of his drive and nearly hit me on the pavement. He didn't see me (dozy so and so) and more importantly I didn't hear him. So it can happen!!

The other item is the finite resources we have on this planet that is quickly running out. Where is all the Colbalt and Lithium (to name but two) we are going to need to power all these vehicles for battery production, and how are we going to deal with all the spent batteries that will rapidly accumulate? The technology hasn't caught up yet.

I read an article that a small electric car has to travel 60,000 miles before it starts paying back the environment that it used to manufacture it in the first place.

I've always believed that the Hydrogen fuel cell has always been the way to go. Again though, the technology needs much further development to be rolled out to the masses.

What will the future be like in 10 years time? Who knows, but it's not looking good for our planet Earth.

So then, what's your opinion on this?

Are you concerned about the future or you couldn't give two shiny s***es what happens. All opinions count of course whether constructive or otherwise.  :002:

Offline miles

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: A baby blue one
  • City / Town: San Diego, CA
Re: Electric vehicles (and bikes)
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 06:59:45 AM
I'm looking forward to dumping my ICE truck in favor of electric. Can't happen soon enough for me.

Just keep your head held high
Kiss your fist and touch the sky

Offline Hamburg

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2014 Sport
  • City / Town: Oxford
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 08:00:03 AM
Unless you run one as a company car, for most they are still far too expensive and limited by the infrastructure.

Iím looking to change cars at the moment and Iíll swap my 2015 Golf GTD for another Diesel.

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: '21 S1000RR
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 09:25:50 AM
One issue Iíve seen in the news lately is the issue of electric cars catching on fire and how much water and time it takes to put out the fire.  Google it and u may be shocked

Offline zombie

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R sold
  • City / Town: Oromocto
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 11:38:04 AM
What bothers me most is that it's the politicians, not the market, that are driving (no pun intended) us to change to EVs over ICE.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think that politicians regulated horses off of the road to make us switch to cars in the first place.

Personally I will remain a hold-out on my ICE vehicles for as long as I am able (I'm a huge fan of manual transmissions as well, and so far I don't think any major manufacturer has bothered with a 6 speed EV, lol)