Author Topic: 3 years with my S1000R  (Read 3469 times)

Offline podders

• S1000R Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
Re: 3 years with my S1000R
Reply #30 on: October 01, 2021, 07:57:14 PM
*Originally Posted by Hamburg [+]
Me too, the gen 1 is a great bike. Does everything I need

Triumph are now mucking me about and stating they need to investigate the fault before the rejection can be process, so still paying finance on a bike I used for 4 occasions and actually had in my ownership for 2 weeks...

Ive advised them if they manage to replicate the fault on a wet roundabout, theyll be on their arse .

Anyway, ive told them a need a vehicle for work while they investigate so there demonstrator is sat in my garage now, it wont turn a wheel .

Ive read some real horror stories about the hassle some 1290Rs are causing their owners , availability of parts(often months even for service items) the dealer network is much poorer than BMWs(which ive found for myself) so I might keep it simple and end up buying another "old" S1000R myself now...If I do, ill replicate what you did with the Givi rack, thats a much better set up mate! 

Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 07:57:59 PM by podders

Offline Wanderer

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R 2017
  • City / Town: Hamilton NZ
Reply #31 on: November 17, 2021, 07:28:55 AM
Hi, Podders,  Curious how did you get on with the Triumph saga.?  Interesting story, keen to know what the outcome was and what happened...

Cheers W

Offline podders

• S1000R Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #32 on: November 17, 2021, 08:41:40 AM
*Originally Posted by Wanderer [+]
Hi, Podders,  Curious how did you get on with the Triumph saga.?  Interesting story, keen to know what the outcome was and what happened...

Cheers W

Good question! What happened in the last couple of weeks was they cleared the bike of all faults, updated the ECU etc , did 100miles up and down a dual carrigeway and told me there is no problem with it.

I wasnt happy with this as it didnt replicate the type of riding (not many junctions or bends on a motorway ) I do and because of the weather now, they hadnt ridden the bike at high speed either.

Unfortunately, unless I got an independent body involved, which had no guarantee of favouring me unless the bike faulted out on their test ride, that was it.

So its now up for sale.

I'm still on the Triumph FB page and see many owners having the same issue, the bike is very sensitive to almost anything it would appear and brings up the EML at the slightest.

So im at a bit of a dilema now, I really like the 2021 KTM 1290 , again I know FB / the internet brings problems to the for but not many people have a good word to say about the network and the bike again seems poorly built.

For a fun but practical do it all bike, the S1000R is really hard to beat so im looking at a low mileage 2020/21 Gen 2 at this moment in time, I put a deposit on one last week at Bharnstormer in Alton but it wasnt as nice as the pictures led me to believe so I pulled out of that deal.

All the bits I sold off from my bike in August (comfort seat, MRA screen, rad guards etc) ive bought back again in readiness ...

Offline Wanderer

• S1000R Member
Reply #33 on: November 17, 2021, 09:08:59 AM
Podders, thanks for sharing and the detailed reply.  Seems Triumph and or the dealer are trying to cover there ass and keep you in it, sad really because once ones trust is killed off, it is hard and takes a while to get it back, if they fix/solve the problems... I guess at this point your stuck with selling on yourself, so good luck with that, and one hopes you manage to not loose to much in money in the process...
I did see you were looking at Gen 2 bits, and wondered if you mite be going back there, and yes I totally agree, the Gen 2 is still a awesome bike, if one can live without the big TFT dash, huge ugly exhaust work under the bike, and a very boring headlight and front end, ect ect... Everyone sees things differently, for me I prefer the euro 4 setup, anyways, all the best for sorting your situation...

As a side note, my last sport ride was a Husqvarna Vitpilen, 2020, wire wheels, 701, a KTM 690 really, fun ride, but, electrical gremlins, a gearbox out of the steam age, and several other annoyances, yes KTM quality- quality control has gone way down hill in my experience...  :027:

Offline podders

• S1000R Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #34 on: November 20, 2021, 03:24:30 PM
Thought id update this as ive bought a new bike to replace the Speed Triple(which is technically still mine but up for sale), I considered all of the new generation super nakeds again , for all the reasons I mentioned previously, I settled on getting another late model low mileage Gen 2 S1000R, I wasnt bothered about getting a bike over Winter UNLESS it was a good price/offer.

I looked a 2021 bike at Bharnstormer in Alton last week , with only 775 miles, it looked immaculate but unfortunately, hadnt been well looked after and most of the fasteners and chain where really quite corroded/rusty, it was considerably worse cosmetically than my old bike with 23,000 miles.

Anyway, I kind of gave up after that but id put an alert on BMWs website and the following day a 600 mile March 2020 bike popped up in the lovely blue colour scheme with a seat cowl and natty looking screen, it is genuinely in as new condition and just serviced,  for 10,500 inc my USB fitment and delivery, i think its great value for money, so ill be getting it in December.

Spent the last few weeks buying (again!) all my essentials, namely Evotech rad/oil cooler guards, BMW comfort seat and a rack for my top box, only bar risers to find now!  What a carry on but im glad to be back in the saddle of an S1000R.

Offline Hamburg

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2014 Sport
  • City / Town: Oxford
Reply #35 on: November 20, 2021, 03:46:48 PM
Good to have you back in the fold!

Offline podders

• S1000R Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #36 on: November 20, 2021, 04:08:39 PM
*Originally Posted by Hamburg [+]
Good to have you back in the fold!

Thanks mate!

Offline Wanderer

• S1000R Member
Reply #37 on: November 20, 2021, 08:03:59 PM
Nice find Podders, Love the blue, Congrats on the new ride.

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: '21 S1000RR
Reply #38 on: November 20, 2021, 09:42:25 PM
Congrats on the find!!! Looks fantastic :)

Glad to hear you have a bike you will enjoy  :305:

Offline rogracer

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
  • City / Town: Orlando, Florida
Reply #39 on: November 24, 2021, 04:39:02 PM
Very interesting journey there Podders! Thank you for sharing your experience, and good luck on your new bike!