Author Topic: 3 years with my S1000R  (Read 1173 times)

Offline podders

• S1000R Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
3 years with my S1000R
on: August 01, 2021, 12:25:46 PM
With the BM now over 3 years in my ownership and going next week, I thought id share some of my experiences with the bike , what for me has been good, bad and what's made the bike more useful/enjoyable over the 23,000 miles ive covered on it.

Longest single journey was in 2019 when I took it to Normandy, France for the 75th anniversary commemorations of D Day, from there I rode to Belgium to stay in Ypres and explore some of the battlefields from WW1.  By far and away the best bike ive ever taken abroad for these trips in terms of all day comfort, power , road manners and practicality .

I have used the bike a fair bit for work this year and the box and GIVI luggage have given it the practicality to enable me to do all that with ease as well as essential for my weekend trips.

She would have covered a bit more miles as we had a big Euro trip planned (and all paid for) in 2020 but we know what happened there…

I bought the bike new in July 2018 , BMW Wollaston who I bought it from have done all the servicing on it, as a dealer, the bike side of the business has been excellent, even when I had 2 problems in lockdown, they came out and rectified the issues quickly with no hassle, a complete contrast to my brothers dealings with Ducati…

On the subject of issues, she has needed 3 water pumps during my time with it , 2 last year when one only lasted a matter of weeks…When the bike was collected there was 2 other BMWs (the 900 twin things)in the van, both with failed water pumps.

On one journey last year it cut out twice while riding it, which was traced to a fault in the wiring around the side stand switch.  It also had the chin spoiler replaced at the first service under warranty as it wouldn’t clip and stay affixed to its matching side piece.

I always changed the oil over the Winter layup and while the amount of metal/swarf on the drain plug always alarmed me (Vs previous Japanese bikes) , the engine while noisy , has never caused any issue and feels as strong now as ever, as it should.

Before I picked it up, I had the dealer fit a BMW USB and Evotech rad guards, ive ridden the bike in all weathers (especially this year when ive used it quite a bit for work) the rad guards ive really done a great job, after removing them last week, the rad and oil cooler while grubby, are in excellent condition with no fin or core damage.

There is much talk on phones/phonecases and what works/breaks phones or phone cameras , my Ultimateaddons case has been in use on my bike from near new and prior to that was on my Honda Firestorm for 2 years, in 2019 I used it throughout a Euro trip and made my way back home via Belgium, France and onwards in constant heavy driving rain, the longest and worst journey ive undertaken, even my hair was wet as the water made its way in through the vents. It was connected to the BMW USB throughout. 

Back home, ive had many a poor weather journey using the phone and its all remained in perfect working order.
Its in use again now on the other halfs CBR600 until the new bike arrives, big thumbs up from me on the Ultimateaddons case and BMW USB.

Other worthwhile improvements for me have been the MRA touring screen, I forgot how good this was until a couple of weeks ago when I took it off to sell it, a 150 mile trip the following day quickly reminded me how good it was and I quickly put it back on again!  Its now up for sale again.  Screens are a bit of a personal choice IMHO, even 2 people of the same height can sit slightly differently on the bike but for 5’9” me, its perfect.

Wunderlich mirror extenders, another small modification which really improves the rear view.

Wunderlich 20mm bar risers, for me, that 20mm made a really worthwhile improvement which along with the BMW comfort seat, made a huge difference to all day riding.

The GIVI tank bags and locking ring system have been perfect , left the tank unmarked , all the bags are extremely useful, i thought of all the items I had for sale, the bag would be the first to go..

When I removed the comfort seat I really noticed the difference in how much worse the std item was on my next journey.

Essentials to riding in my ownership would have to be the comfort seat , mirror extenders and bar risers.

Negatives : Looking back on the above, the LH mirror always vibrated to the point you couldn’t identify what vehicle was behind you past 60MPH until it was to close (officer…)  The RH mirror was a little better but even swapping them under warranty made no difference.
The electronic suspension, I could never quite find a happy ground with it, in normal road riding I had no complaint but if I was pushing on, it was either a little to soft or way to hard, im sure I could have visited a suspension pro to have it that sorted but ive never felt the need to muck around with suspension so much as with this bike.
Im sure some will scoff but at high speed, the bike lacks the composure and ride quality our CBR600 has.

Steering lock is poor which on occasion has been a minor irritation.

With the MRA screen fitted, ive found the bike feels slightly nervous at near to top speed (indicated 150+) but not all with the std item..Maybe more of a fault with the screen as such but another question that comes up fairly often.

The switchgear feels flimsy and while none of it broken, it doesn’t have a feel of longevity to it all, lots of slop and play in the buttons, they feel “dead” and not positive when you use them, you can hit the horn sometimes and there is a slight delay in hitting the button and a sound emerging, you’ll know what I mean if you’d try to play a tune on it!

Positives : of which there are many…Power, the bike has no lack of urge of outright power as we all know, Ive test rode most of the “new” supernakeds this last few weeks and while all of them have felt different, in terms of outright power, it would take a dyno to separate them…I couldn’t, the bike still goes as well as it did 3 years ago, I love wheelying the thing and ABS/DCS is nearly always off unless its peeing down..

On a similar level of performance to the power has to be the brakes, not just for outright stopping performance but bite and feel, even the latest Brembos on the bike im purchasing do not feel any better, they’be been utterly brilliant and the finish has stood up extremely well.

The quickshifter is still as good as any ive used recently and is a total delight with that little crackle coming out of the Akro as you down shift, one of the most pleasurable experiences in motorcycling has been that quickshifter! 

The quickshifter, ergonomics, power, brakes all make the bike effortless to ride fast, it feels safe and secure in any conditions.

The finish is a mixture really, I keep on top of all my bikes and was disappointed to see the chain rusting so quickly after that wet ride coming home from Belgium.  Ive seen some very scruffy S1000R/RRs which despite low miles, haven’t taken so well to being left after a wet or salty ride , with scabby fasteners and heavily corroded alloy parts but I always wash my bike down after a poor ride and treat it to some protective spray, so she still looks in excellent condition , the paint on the wheels and plastics is very good indeed, the only indication of the miles is the bar grips really.

The battery. I see much talk of these and the OEM unit being poor quality, I take all my bike batteries off my bikes over Winter, bring them into the warmth of the house and charge them a few hours once a month, been doing this since the 90s and ive never replaced any battery ive bought , two of my bikes have batteries that are 10+ years old…The OE battery is still fine on mine despite having an alarm fitted.

In summary, the bike has been brilliant to ride in any conditions, competent, fast, I even like the look of it and its asymmetric light arrangement, it was brilliant value in 2018 and finding a replacement has proved very tricky indeed, I very nearly bought a demo mileage replacement of the same spec for £12,000 which is a bargain when you look at the pricing of the latest crop of supernakeds but variety is the spice of life as they say so on to a new experience.

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Re: 3 years with my S1000R
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 01:00:11 PM
She's a looker! You have definitely taken great care of her :)

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 18 S1KR
  • City / Town: Montreal
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 03:33:14 PM
Great read. Appears a well kept bike. I hope it gives you a decent return on trade in/sale.

Are you in the marked for another naked? If so, what has peaked your interests to date?

Offline Hamburg

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2014 Sport
  • City / Town: Oxford
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 05:32:12 PM
Great post @prodders, your Givi rack is already doing service on my bike now, I’ve even sourced an identical box which seems exactly the right size for the R.

I agree with the bar risers, mine has them fitted and turns a naked in to a supremely comfortable long distance bike, I regularly do 200 mile round trips with virtually no discomfort, I also agree about the lack of steering lock which I do find a pain in the back side.

What have you replaced it with?

Offline jeff

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: bmw s1000r sport
  • City / Town: orpington
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 06:55:42 PM
Yup great read funny though I came from a 19 Honda CB10000r .Yes the switch gear is better on the Honda engine is brilliant build in general was better but being a fat old geezer the rear shock was like a pogo stick no matter what the adjustment .Just find the electric suspension better on the BM plus got the BM a June 20 bike with 640 mls for £10,250. So too good to miss What are you getting? Have fun whatever it is!

Offline podders

• S1000R Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 07:11:37 PM
*Originally Posted by Hamburg [+]
Great post @prodders, your Givi rack is already doing service on my bike now, I’ve even sourced an identical box which seems exactly the right size for the R.

I agree with the bar risers, mine has them fitted and turns a naked in to a supremely comfortable long distance bike, I regularly do 200 mile round trips with virtually no discomfort, I also agree about the lack of steering lock which I do find a pain in the back side.

What have you replaced it with?

Nice one George, I hope you get some good use from the set up.

Bar the Ducati V4 Streetfighter, I test rode all the latest offerings and liked the new Speed Triple the most.. picking it up 1st September.

Offline Hamburg

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2014 Sport
  • City / Town: Oxford
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 07:46:41 PM
 :460:

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 09:27:18 PM
Great summing up there Brian and you've definitely made the right choice with the new Speed Triple too.

Offline Zig Zag

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2016 Black Storm
  • City / Town: Virginia
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 03:31:18 AM
*Originally Posted by podders [+]
Bar the Ducati V4 Streetfighter, I test rode all the latest offerings and liked the new Speed Triple the most.. picking it up 1st September.

After five years with my bike I too thought time for a change. I spent a lot of time researching a new bike. When it came down to it I kept my R and am a three day old 2022 Tiger 900 Rally Pro owner.
Congratulations on the Speed Triple  :028:
You should remember that it’s peace of mind you’re after and not just a fixed machine.
Robert Persig

Offline Spartacus

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 20 S1000R SPORT
  • City / Town: North Wilts
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 08:04:27 AM
Thanks for sharing your long term thoughts with everyone on the forum. A good and inclusive write up.

Best of luck on the new Speed Triple.   :002:

sociology-monitor