Author Topic: 21' Suspension settings.  (Read 483 times)

Offline S1rdek

• S1000R Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1r
  • City / Town: Northeast
21' Suspension settings.
on: July 10, 2021, 04:56:30 PM
Hmm, not happy with the DDC on my 21.
Following the instructions in the owners manual to the letter, I set about adjusting sag.
The manual says the preload for a rider 85kg should be 40-50mm.
I weigh with gear about 75kg so would guess a setting of say 30-35mm would be in the ballpark.
However, even fully wound out the sag is only 25mm.
I've tried it on road & dynamic & it is no different.
What this relates to on the road is a very bumpy ride on anything less than perfect tarmac.
Ideas anyone?

Offline BS1K

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: '21 S1000R
  • City / Town: Brisbane, AUS
Re: 21' Suspension settings.
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 02:15:00 AM
Same issue here with my '21, I'm the same weight with gear.
Initially, I just thought it was the nature of road bikes (having come off a sumo with its dirt bike suspension) but riding two up with my partner made the suspension feel significantly plusher and smooth. Its going in for its first service this week so I might have a chat with the guys at the BMW dealership to see what they think.

Offline S1rdek

• S1000R Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1r
  • City / Town: Northeast
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 08:47:50 PM
Hi bud,
Any info from your dealer with reference to lighter riders than 85kg achieving a satisfactory sag setting.
I have it set on dynamic but the suspension on road setting & it's the smoothest over bumps I can get but still not on a par with my '14
I love the bike, on good tarmac it handles beautifully as per the lean angles in the image.
I just can't fathom why my '14 was better at soaking up the bumps.

Offline BS1K

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: '21 S1000R
  • City / Town: Brisbane, AUS
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 01:42:30 AM
Sorry forgot to update anything because they didn't really give me much to work with and I haven't had any chance to ride since I got it back from the first service. They said to give it a bit more time/KMs for the suspension to wear in a bit more.  Next time I have a whole day I'll play around with the pre load a bit more. So far I've just had the preload backed all the way off and the my zip tie on the fork is about 90% of the way down.

sociology-monitor